GandD

The Role of Religion in the U.S. Presidential Election

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

For that, we may need a celebrity to run.

Reagan wasn't good enough for you? Eisenhower? Teddy Roosevelt? Grant? Washington? If you can't make celebrity status, you probably won't get very far in politics. Nobody really bothers to look for the most qualified candidate - they vote the D or the R or some other party line, or who seems the most like them, or who has the best hair, or who they dream of waking up next to on a stormy night.

Most of the world, maybe, but definitely not all of the world. There are countries which are run in a very secular manner.

So they say. Secularism is a religion of its own right.

Reagan wasn't good enough for you? Eisenhower? Teddy Roosevelt? Grant? Washington? If you can't make celebrity status, you probably won't get very far in politics. Nobody really bothers to look for the most qualified candidate - they vote the D or the R or some other party line, or who seems the most like them, or who has the best hair, or who they dream of waking up next to on a stormy night.

Wasn't taken in context, I think. I made a joke, saying that for a non R/D to be popular enough to win, it would have to be a celebrity -- I used that to joke about a Scientologist president. *shrug* It must be my broken sense of humor.

Those countries tend to treat people very fairly, and give people a good quality of life.

What would Xenu do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thou shalt not kill.

This is why the abortion argument never progresses: some people argue it is life or death, while others don't believe it's a life.

And the bible says thou shalt not kill - but then goes on to talk about punishing people with death by stoning, etc. for other sins. Also, the death penalty is legal in many states and in this country at a federal level. Are we arguing about protecting life? Or are we just arguing about when it's OK to end a life?

Edited by BaBamSam

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Japan...

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark - All officially Lutheran, 75% or more membership

Netherlands - Very Secular, 75% profess no belief in God

Japan - Live Buddhist, Die Shinto, Venerate Emperor as living god. 85% or more of births are registered with either a Buddhist or Shinto temple.

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark - All officially Lutheran, 75% or more membership

Netherlands - Very Secular, 75% profess no belief in God

Japan - Live Buddhist, Die Shinto, Venerate Emperor as living god. 85% or more of births are registered with either a Buddhist or Shinto temple.

Membership and actual belief are different, but...

Their laws are not based on religion, which is my point. If I recall correctly, Iceland and maybe others of them are moving away from any religious affiliation.

And in Japan, where I have extensive experience, nobody takes Buddhism, Shinto, living gods, etc. seriously. It's just tradition/superstition. Sadly, not even the Buddhist monks there seem to take Buddhism seriously.

Edited by duraaraa

What would Xenu do?

This is why the abortion argument never progresses: some people argue it is life or death, while others don't believe it's a life.

And the bible says thou shalt not kill - but then goes on to talk about punishing people with death by stoning, etc. for other sins. Also, the death penalty is legal in many states and in this country at a federal level. Are we arguing about protecting life? Or are we just arguing about when it's OK to end a life?

Jesus said let the one among you who is without sin throw the first stone at her. The death penalty shows that religion isn't involved. A true believer in God would be against death.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Jesus said let the one among you who is without sin throw the first stone at her. The death penalty shows that religion isn't involved. A true believer in God would be against death.

That doesn't address the fact that in the bible there are "crimes" punishable by death. Or that society, especially the most devoutly religious, have been killing as punishment for centuries.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

That doesn't address the fact that in the bible there are "crimes" punishable by death. Or that society, especially the most devoutly religious, have been killing as punishment for centuries.

That's in the Old Testament. The New Testament is what Christianity is based upon. Love thy neighbor. If someone strikes you, turn and let him strike your other cheek. Judge as you shall be judged. Forgive.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

That's in the Old Testament. The New Testament is what Christianity is based upon. Love thy neighbor. If someone strikes you, turn and let him strike your other cheek. Judge as you shall be judged. Forgive.

Pay unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's and unto God, that which is God's. Pay your taxes, and if anything is left, send it to JesusLovesYou@MyBank.com

Now how do you reconcile that with drones dumping ordinances? Are you saying we ain't as Christian a nation as some would like us to believe? :huh: