23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats Mary Therese!

Thank you for the full detail of your interview, it was very helpful. I printed out your report and gave it to my fiancee... she made some notes so she could be more prepared when it's time for her interview. Btw she doesn't have her CENOMAR but plans to attack that in the morning.

Question:

I was reading about the Form I-134 online and it says the U.S. citizen should ask all of his banks to draft simple letters confirming the accounts. But I read on another site that submitting the bank statements would be acceptable. When you submitted the Form I-134 did you have a letters from the banks confirming the accounts or did you submit bank statements instead? I'm not in the U.S. so getting letters from my banks would be difficult at this time.

Thanks and Congrats again!

02/09/2009 Our 1st Face to Face
10/11/2009 Living Together (Philippines)
10/09/2012 I-129F Sent
10/11/2012 I-129F NOA1
04/26/2013 I-129F RFE(s)
05/16/2013 RFE Reply(s)
05/29/2013 I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

National Visa Center Processing
xx/xx/2013 Date Package Received:
xx/xx/2013 Date Package Left:

Consulate Processing
xx/xx/2013 Received By Consulate:
xx/xx/2013 Packet 3 Received
xx/xx/2013 Packet 3 Completed and Sent
xx/xx/2013 Packet 4 Received (Appointment Letter)
xx/xx/2013 Interview Date (K1 Visa):

Interview Result:
xx/xx/2013 - Second Interview (if Required)(K1 Visa)
xx/xx/2013 - Second Interview Result
xx/xx/2013 K1 Visa Received:

xx/xx/2013 US Entry
xx/xx/2013 Marriage (Oregon)

Filed: Timeline

Hello again VJ members!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!

As i have previously mentioned, I am very thankful for the kindness & effort of people in here who take time to answer my inquiries and share their experiences.....so to give back my own little way...here's mine... :)

My interview date was just last Monday..April 8, 2013

I arrived in Manila Sunday afternoon and stayed in Bayview Park Hotel.

I believe its the closest and good enough hotel in the Embassy. My fiancee booked the Superior room for me which was around 2,500php/night. This is already inclusive of buffet breakfast. Room is good enough, but mind you almost everything there is with charge. Room wifi isnt free...its 320php for 24 hrs. Lobby internet use is 150/hour. Their food and drinks are also kind of pricey.

Anyway its about 3-4 minute walk from the hotel to the US embassy entrance.

So...night before the interview...i reviewed the checklist from the embassy...i familiarized where the documents are placed so i wouldn't scramble around my files when they ask for a certain document. Then i tried to review some of the

sample questions. I got real sleepy already so..i said my prayers and went to bed.

Interview day!

My scheduled appointment time is 7:30AM. I woke up at 4:30 am...prepared..had some breakfast and by 6:20AM I was on my way to the embassy. I wore a dark blue A-line skirt, light blue long sleeved blouse and a flat shoes (in my experience this was helpful because you have to get in a queue and stand inside until there is an available chair)

When i got there, as expected, the line was already long...K1 visa is given same priority as Immigrant Visa so you have to get on queue at the leftmost one. At the pre-entrance the ladies in blue poloshirt will look for your passport, appointment confirmation, and forms DS 156.157,156k (with their appropriate number of copies). If they see its complete they will place the barcode sticker prepared with your name on it at the back of your passport then proceed to entrance. In the entrance they will be the strict security check. I know you probably know this already but again.. don't bring ANY electronics with you, you would really be denied entry. I knew that one already, but unfortunately the bag i was carrying had 3 flashdrives in them and they said i had to get rid of them first, and i asked where can I drop these off? and they only said somebody you know outside or anywhere...i felt lost for a moment because i got through the long line already and a walk to the hotel and back again would be too time consuming! I almost considered burying my flashdrives...lol! But luckily there were 'businesswomen' just in front outside knowing such incidences will take place...they will keep your things for you and give you a numbercard with their name to claim it. You have to pay 150php upon claiming. I know it wasnt such a risk...'Ate Inday' didnt look like she would try to gain something from copying flashdrive contents... B-)

So i got back at the pre-entrance again..i showed one of the ladies in blue that i had the barcode already so she let me in. I finally got through first security check and got in.

Inside you will be directed to the counters which gives the priority number. In that counter they will get the 3 forms 156,157,156k , check your passport and will return it with a ziplock sort of cellophane. You will be taught to place your passport inside the ziplock,with passport opened in the photo and details part. After that you will be directed to take a seat at the open waiting area. Now as you are a K1 visa holder, you will be advised to take a seat at the farther half of the rows. Unless you get to befriend somebody who will help you watch out for your number on the electronic number boards (or something like that), starting from this point until the last phase, you have to pay close attention to the number boards because numbers are called RANDOMLY.

It is very easy to spot fellow K1 visa applicants so most likely (like me) you will befriend them. It is by the way helpful to stick together because I and my fellow K1 visa applicants scheduled for that day looked out for each other's numbers, shared our most recent window experience (you will be called 4 times in 4 different windows) and looked out for each's chair or belongings when we need a quick cr break. Soon one of the blue-shirt girls called out all others who weren't called and instructed us to get in the interview building.

So when you get inside you will have the second security check where your bag will be checked again and you will go through body scan again. The interview building was big. There were so many windows (1-75). But the windows have their categories. There inside you will see the electronic number boards again.

I was a bit concerned at first because it seemed all K1 applicants have been called for first of the 4 windows already but it has been such a long wait for me already and my number hasn't been called even once. However...as soon as my number got called...everything became successive and i even surpassed many who were called first.

Again...pay close attention to the number boards all the time while you are back waiting.

First window - Finger Scan.

The nice filipino lady just asked for my name and birthdate and instructed me to perform the digital finger scan.After that you will be asked to take a seat and wait for your number to be flashed again. If you have skin allergies esp. affecting your fingerpads...THIS IS NOT a good time to have it. A fellow K1 applicant whom i befriended was allergic to detergent so she had a bad scaling on her fingerpads which made the finger scan so difficult that she was told to take a seat again and they will just call her back.

So, after a loong wait i got through the finger scan..and again as i have mentioned, after that stage..it was successive for me...

Just perhaps 15-20 mins waiting time i got called for my second window. The filipino pre-consul preliminary interview. It was window 38 and she was a middle aged nice filipina. On that window she asked for the NBI clearance, NSO birth cert, CENOMAR, BPI receipt for visa fee, and also she already asked for the Affidavit of Support Form 134 and my fiance's ITR (1040) and my passport. She made her preliminary interview and these were her questions:

1. Name of my fiance

2. How did we meet and when was this

3. Do i have any job

3. What is my age - What is my fiance's age - And so how much age gap is that (im 26, my fiance is 48)

4. Asked about our civil statuses (we are both single and never been married)

5. Asked if he had children (he has none) - asked if i had any children (none too)

6. When did my fiance come and visit and how many times

She also asked why was the 1040 the 2011 version and when i explained that he wasn't finished yet as it wasn't his due for filing she said 'ok'

Then she told me to take a seat again and wait for my number.

I was starting to get more nervous because i know the final interview is coming (the US consul)

Just a perhaps another 15-20 minutes of waiting and my number got flashed already!

This is it! US consul time!

3rd - window US consul

I was assigned at window 63 and my consul was St.Peter...yeah just kidding :D

Well he was an old wise man perhaps in his early 70's. He had white hair and white full beard. He wasn't intimidating but formal.

He first made me swear that i was telling the truth to the govt. of America etc...and briefly explained about my rights in case of domestic violence (he also explained in was SOP)

Then he started his interview, and his questions were: (i notice some similarities from filipina interviewer)

1. Name of my fiance

2. How did we meet - When was this

3. He also pointed out that he sees in the form that i was denied of a visa (it was a tourist visa in 2009) and he asked what was that for.

4. Then he asked also about our civil statuses, then ff. up if we had any children.

Like the filipina interviewer he was a bit surprised that my fiancee has never had any kids even if he was single & never been married so he ff. up with "do you two have any plans in having any children?"

so I answered "we really hope we could have kids very soon'

(my fiancee has vowed to have kids ONLY after he gets married)

5. He then asked when did my fiance visit - did he come alone? - for how long? - where did we go? -> from this follow-up question i mentioned that we went to a mountain resort for a Lenten Retreat since he was here during Lent Season.

So from that he made a ff. up questions

He said 'oh he was here during Lent...so what is your religion? are you Iglesia ni Cristo or Catholic?

When I answered Catholic he then ff. up with "How about him?" (I said 'Catholic too sir')

Then he asked an out of the blue question:

"So how does he make you laugh" - i thought the question was funny and cute itself so while i was answering ti i was smiling...

I said 'he has a unique humor sir that he makes me laugh everyday'

and he ff. up with "Like what is an example?"

So i gave an example of a recent topic that we joke around for sometime now and he said

"And that's funny for you?" (his expression was not sarcastic but sincerely curious)

so i answered 'it is for us sir' and gave a specific example.

He then nodded and looked at my files with him.

He then took out the pictures we sent to USCIS for the petition package.

He picked out a picture after a fast scan (he seemed like he already knew which to pick out)

He picked out a picture of me and my fiance with an old foreign guy. He asked pointing at him "Who's this?"

I said it was Father R_ _ _ _ _ r, we visited a seminary when he was here (and since i have already previously mentioned about the Lent season he had no ff. up questions with that)

He then picked out another picture it was a a nicely taken one of just the two of us inside the hotel room he was staying during his visit

and he asked "who took this photo?" so i answered with a smile that 'it was automatic function'

and he smiled and said 'oh automatic'

he then said 'Well we are through but my computer is taking some time, why dont you take a seat again, im sure you dont mind another 3-4 minute wait'.

So i just said 'thank you sir' (smiling again) (just maintain the sincere polite smiles guys) :)

All in all it wasnt that long it even seemed kind of quick :)

So i took a seat again not sure what is next and if i was approved or not. I had no idea what to look out for, if i was going to be called to that window again? Should i look out for my number at the electronic number board again? I was sitting there doing 3 things:

1. Listening if window 63 consul calls me again

2. Looking out if my number (6168) appears again

3. Listening if I would be one of the names called at the 4 windows on the far right as they also call people in groups

Then I noticed another of the k1 applicants were called on window 63...so St. Peter the consul was interviewing someone else again...where then would i be this time? (I also noticed window 63 does take some time in his interview with the person next to me, i guess he's one of those thorough type)

So...after a while my name was among the names called to to go to window 73. It was among the 4 last windows on the far right.

There were 2 other people before me and one behind me. I got nervous because it seems the other 2 in front of me had some missing documents that they are asked to submit. So they are not done yet because they are asked to submit something. Then it was my turn. the guy asked for my name and birthdate...He looked at my files, then looked at the computer...he gave back my appointment confirmation and said:

"Ok na, pasa na to...hintayin mo na lang...pwede ka nang umuwi" (all ok now,you passed, you just have to wait for it...you can now go home)

and I was a bit shocked so i got a 'duh' moment and asked "oh..i will just wait for the visa to arrive? i can go home now?'

so the filipino guy in window 73 said again "oo pwede ka na umuwi" (yes you can now go home)

so i smiled and said 'thank you'

I looked for my fellow k1 applicants and bid them goodbye and GOD BLESS and got out of there with a big smile and praises to GOD. I was done by

11:15AM. :dance::dance::dance:

I know there are still a number of things to follow...but if GOD is with is...who can be against us? :)

Congrats Mary Therese!

Thank you for the full detail of your interview, it was very helpful. I printed out your report and gave it to my fiancee... she made some notes so she could be more prepared when it's time for her interview. Btw she doesn't have her CENOMAR but plans to attack that in the morning.

Question:

I was reading about the Form I-134 online and it says the U.S. citizen should ask all of his banks to draft simple letters confirming the accounts. But I read on another site that submitting the bank statements would be acceptable. When you submitted the Form I-134 did you have a letters from the banks confirming the accounts or did you submit bank statements instead? I'm not in the U.S. so getting letters from my banks would be difficult at this time.

Thanks and Congrats again!

hi "bakithindi" ...'why not' lol

(not sure if you understood my joke there...haha) sorry just being a goofball...

thank you for the greeting and its a nice feeling to be able to offer some help in return

Its great you're now starting to gather docs for the interview your NOA 2 is now just around the corner! :)

About the I-134...here is what i do know when i was researching for that to help out my fiance

To show your eligibility to support, you must have at least 2 of the options given for Supporting evidence:

You have noticed a number of choices below number 7. of the form right? My fiancee picked to declare annual salary, deposit on savings banks & his stocks & bonds

Ive also read somewhere that their very first consideration and which weighs heavily is the annual salary or income of the petitioner....

For the savings account..well...the instructions from the USCIS did state that supporting document for that would be

statement from a bank officer or other financial institutions with deposits, identifying date account opened, total amount deposited for past year, & present balance

what my fiance actually provided me was his recent bank statements which i think he simply accessed online...

On the actual scenario the interviewee wont forward any documents together..it will be the discretion of the window personnel to ask whatever document he/she requires, the interviewee would have to just wait & follow...

I know it might be a different scenario for each interviewee but as for mine the filipina preliminary interviewer said "also give me the Affidavit of Support & the 1040" ...I had the W2,bank statements & summary of investment with me but they didnt ask for that

The consul didnt even request a single document with me...his sole reference was the files already with him...which was the I-129F Package that was forwarded to them...

i hope i kinda helped you out on that...GOD BLESS to BOTH OF YOU! :star::star::star:

we are now expecting our first baby! :goofy: (L) :dancing: (F) :wub: :star: :dance: :jest:

Timeline

Hi Mary Therese,

Yes I got your joke. It was hard finding an available username for visajourney so I switched to tagolog and then walang problema :-)

Beings I'm in the Phils the things that are easily available to me are my 1040 & W2s and I'll go online to get my bank statements and summery of investments. I'm headed back to the states in July. If my fiancee doesn't have her interview by then I will get my bank to write a letter as well (this should be easy to do in person). But I hope the interview happens way before July. Originally I had hoped to get her to Oregon by mid August but now with the delays it looks more like it'll be Winter before I can get her on a plane. Bad timing kc I hate to throw my honey into a cold wet Oregon winter on her 1st day in the states, but even winter is better then never.

Btw if I'm still in the Phils when my fiancee has her interview do you think the embassy will let me go inside the area with all the windows so I can wait with her?

You've been very helpful!

Marami Salamat

Edited by bakithindi

10/09/2012 I-129F Sent
10/11/2012 I-129F NOA1
04/26/2013 I-129F RFE(s)
05/16/2013 RFE Reply(s)

Consulate Processing

Interview Result:

xx/xx/2013 US Entry

Hi Mary Therese,

Yes I got your joke. It was hard finding an available username for visajourney so I switched to tagolog and then walang problema :-)

Beings I'm in the Phils the things that are easily available to me are my 1040 & W2s and I'll go online to get my bank statements and summery of investments. I'm headed back to the states in July. If my fiancee doesn't have her interview by then I will get my bank to write a letter as well (this should be easy to do in person). But I hope the interview happens way before July. Originally I had hoped to get her to Oregon by mid August but now with the delays it looks more like it'll be Winter before I can get her on a plane. Bad timing kc I hate to throw my honey into a cold wet Oregon winter on her 1st day in the states, but even winter is better then never.

Btw if I'm still in the Phils when my fiancee has her interview do you think the embassy will let me go inside the area with all the windows so I can wait with her?

You've been very helpful!

Marami Salamat

Hi again ‘bakithindi’ :D

All the steps you mentioned were great, I think that would be the best considering your situation now :thumbs:

Well as per your fiancées interview schedule, she doesn’t need the hardcopy, as soon as you know your case number (something like MNL1234567). After you get the online NOA2 notice, call NVC 2 weeks after and try to ask if you already have a case number. When you have that she can pay the visa fee right away, fill in the DS156 online and obtain a barcode then call up US Embassy and get a schedule.

Well anyway that’s just a suggestion. as you want in US ASAP.. ;)

YES…you can very much accompany her every step of the way during her interview…

When I had mine there were 4 girls with their honeys (the USC) with them…(aaweeee….) (L)

In my opinion, it would’ve been really less nerve racking if my fiancé was there…I hope you can accompany her. It would greatly help her emotionally, not to mention someone can carry all that heavy folders…watch her seat and the docs when she needs to use cr…help her in looking out for her priority number to be flashed…and yes…a hand to hold…

Oh but you don’t need to accompany her in each window…lol

I guess windows 2 (Filipina preliminary interview) & 3rd (consul interview) definitely

Ask away and I will try to answer what I can… 

we are now expecting our first baby! :goofy: (L) :dancing: (F) :wub: :star: :dance: :jest:

Timeline

Hi again ‘bakithindi’ :D

All the steps you mentioned were great, I think that would be the best considering your situation now :thumbs:

Well as per your fiancées interview schedule, she doesn’t need the hardcopy, as soon as you know your case number (something like MNL1234567). After you get the online NOA2 notice, call NVC 2 weeks after and try to ask if you already have a case number. When you have that she can pay the visa fee right away, fill in the DS156 online and obtain a barcode then call up US Embassy and get a schedule.

Well anyway that’s just a suggestion. as you want in US ASAP.. ;)

YES…you can very much accompany her every step of the way during her interview…

When I had mine there were 4 girls with their honeys (the USC) with them…(aaweeee….) (L)

In my opinion, it would’ve been really less nerve racking if my fiancé was there…I hope you can accompany her. It would greatly help her emotionally, not to mention someone can carry all that heavy folders…watch her seat and the docs when she needs to use cr…help her in looking out for her priority number to be flashed…and yes…a hand to hold…

Oh but you don’t need to accompany her in each window…lol

I guess windows 2 (Filipina preliminary interview) & 3rd (consul interview) definitely

Ask away and I will try to answer what I can… 

Great. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

10/09/2012 I-129F Sent
10/11/2012 I-129F NOA1
04/26/2013 I-129F RFE(s)
05/16/2013 RFE Reply(s)

Consulate Processing

Interview Result:

xx/xx/2013 US Entry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congratulations!!! Thank you for being so thorough with all the details. Gives us an idea of what will take place. I will share this information with my Fiance. She isn't from the Philippines, but sharing the questions they asked you can help her prepare with what they may ask her in her country.

Our Story
[February 23rd 2011] Met online
[March 2012 - June 2012] made travel plans, bought plane ticket, planned Vietnamese tea ceremony, bought engagement ring / wedding rings
[July 16th 2012] Met each other for the first time in person in Vietnam
[July 29th 2012] Had non-legal Vietnamese Tea Ceremony in her hometown
[August 16th, 2012] Left Vietnam to come back to the US
[August 20th - September 2nd] Prepared 1-129F packet to send to USCIS

K1 Journey
[september 4th 2012] I-129F packet sent
[september 9th, 2012] received text message from USCIS, stating that I-129F was accepted on Sept 7th
[september 11th,2012] received hard copy of the NOA1 in the mail
[April 17th, 2013] received text message on cell phone of NOA2
[April 22nd, 2013] received hard copy of the NOA2 paper in the mail
[April 24th, 2013] NVC sent packet to Ho Chi Minh City - US Embassy
[May 13th, 2013] Fiance received packet 3 from US Embassy in the mail
[May 20th, 2013] Fiance mailed completed packet 3 back to US Embassy
[July 9th, 2013] Fiance received packet 4 from US Embassy in the mail
[August 16th, 2013] Interview date, Approved!!!!

[sept 11th, 2013] My Fiance left Vietnam
[sept 12th, 2013] My Fiance arrived in Chicago and I was anxiously waiting at the gate for her.
[sept 25th, 2013] We got married

AOS journey starts
[Nov 14th, 2013] sent the AOS packet [i-485, I-765, I-131]
[Nov 16th, 2013] package was delivered
[Nov 22nd, 2013] received NOA1 via text message
[Nov 25th, 2013] check cleared my bank
[Nov 28th, 2013] received hard copy of NOA1 in the mail
[Dec 5th, 2013] received Biometrics appointment letter
[Dec 18th, 2013] Biometrics appointment
[Jan 17th, 2014] EAD/AP - card in the mail
[March 3rd, 2014] received I-797 in the mail, stating that my wife's AOS was approved, and to expect her green card in 3 weeks
[March 7th, 2014] received green card in the mail - we did not have an AOS interview

Having a Baby!!!
[October 28th, 2014] Pregnancy test is positive
[July 6th, 2015] our son is born

Removal of Conditions journey starts
[Dec 8th, 2015] sent the ROC packet I-751
[Dec 10th, 2015] NOA1
{Dec.14th,2015} Checked cleared my bank
[Jan 5th, 2016] Biometrics appointment
[June 1st, 2016] Notified that new card in production
[June 8th, 2016] Notified that card has been mailed
[June 10th, 2016] Received 10 year green card in the mail

US Naturalization (N-400) journey starts
[Feb. 10th, 2017] sent the US Naturalization paperwork - N-400
[Feb         , 2017] NOA1
[Feb.        , 2017] Check cleared my bank
[March      ,2017] Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience in great detail. It will surely help others. My fiancé goes for her interview there tomorrow! I will get her to read your post. Thanks and congrats!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.