susie91

Re-entry permit for GC holder

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody,

I am the step daughter of a US citizen and successfully recieved a visa for permanent residence in november 2012. I was suppose to fly to the US in december 2012 to live there permanently with my family but had to delay my flights due to family matters here in australlia. I am now leaving in about 2 weeks to finally move to the US. I only have one problem, my grandmother here in AUS depends on me a fair bit and is quite unwell, doesnt look like she has long left and as much as i want to live in the US, I also want to be here in AUS for her. I have some sort of plan in my head to make this work and some advice and information from you guys would be great!

I plan on living in the US with my mum, step dad, brother and sister until august ( 4-5 months ) during this time I will get my social security no, drivers license, bank account and any other ties that I can make to the US. I also want to apply for a reentry permit before I leave in august as im not sure how long I will be gone for, could be up to 2 years. I have no intention of abandoning my residency in the US but family comes first.

I have a few questions:

1. Do i need to prove and explain my circumstances to get a re entry permit?

2. How long is the process to get a re entry permit, will 4 - 5 months be long enough? And what does the process involve?

3. How long does it take to get a social security no?

4. Will my family ties and economic ties to the US be enough to prove i have no intention of abandoning my status?

5. Can I extend or apply for another re entry permit if i need to stay out of the US more than two years?

6. Can I leave the US before I recieve my actual greencard in the mail?

7. Does that 4 - 5 months of living in the US go towards my 5 years for citizenship?

8. This question is to do with my visa, once arriving in the US what then happens? Do i have another interview?

Answers to these questions would be appreciated :-)

Please note: I understand that I should not spend more than 6 months outside the US without a re entry permit and even a stay shorter than 6 months can be questioned.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

1-yes

2-it will take 4/5months

4-you have to submit proof showing why you need to stay abroad for more than 1 year. You must prove that you don't t intent to abandon your Legal Permanent Residence. Having in the USA close family members is a a significant factor in establishing ties to the United States.

5-reentry permit cannot be extended, if your permit expires, you will need to apply for a new one. You cannot file I-131 outside the Country

6-wait to leave the Country with green card and reentry permit.The permit is valid for 2 years, it does not mean that staying away for 2 years is a good idea at all.

7-if you leave the United States for 1 year or more, you have disrupted your continuous residence, even if you have a Re-entry Permit.The last 364 days you were out of the United States count toward your time as a Permanent Resident in “continuous residence,” but the 4/5months you lived in the USA before leaving do not. Immigration Law states: "If you were outside the United States for 1 year or longer none of the time you were in the United States before you left the country counts toward your time in continuous residence"

8-I assume you are coming to USA with a CR2 visa right? After you enter the United States (10/25 days) you will receive your green card. You won't attend interview in the USA,because you will attend interview abroad.

Do not forget to file form I-751 within the 90 days just preceding the expiration date on your permanent residence card.

Edited by sandranj

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.