Pinkie1945

Immigration Attourney

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancee and I have located an attorney however we cannot find much information on how the office operates/works.

Has anyone used the offices of Joel J. Turney for their immigration filing?

They have good advertizing however I don't require lots of money spent on attracting couples in. I would like to see happy satisfied couples and if there are any complaints what are they for.

It's so hard to be trusting of a stranger who holds our future in their hands with no guarantee of not being scammed.

Any suggestion guys/gals?

My suggestion is to not use an attorney. There is nothing in this process that you cannot do yourself unless you have a very complicated case.

Save yourself money. Do this yourself. Keep your future in your own hands. Read the guides, look at the example forms, ask questions here. You'll be glad you did.

It's honestly nothing but paperwork, paying a few fees, and gathering documents. You can do that.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My suggestion is to not use an attorney. There is nothing in this process that you cannot do yourself unless you have a very complicated case.

Save yourself money. Do this yourself. Keep your future in your own hands. Read the guides, look at the example forms, ask questions here. You'll be glad you did.

It's honestly nothing but paperwork, paying a few fees, and gathering documents. You can do that.

YES! I completely agree.

We used an immigration attorney for our I-129f submission and I now regret it. He did an ok job and at the time we did not know about this site. He actually missed a check box which cost us an RFE but it wasn't a biggie and he handled it. The biggie was the hit to my pocket book when I could have done it myself. Hang out on this site and read....... a lot. You'll most likely find all the guides and examples you need to do it yourself and experienced members will give you lots of solid advice.

Also, a lot won't include anything outside of the I-129f submission in the fee which may leave you alone for the consulate portion of the journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

YES! I completely agree.

We used an immigration attorney for our I-129f submission and I now regret it. He did an ok job and at the time we did not know about this site. He actually missed a check box which cost us an RFE but it wasn't a biggie and he handled it. The biggie was the hit to my pocket book when I could have done it myself. Hang out on this site and read....... a lot. You'll most likely find all the guides and examples you need to do it yourself and experienced members will give you lots of solid advice.

Also, a lot won't include anything outside of the I-129f submission in the fee which may leave you alone for the consulate portion of the journey.

I would agree. The only reason I could see using a lawyer is if you want to do no thinking of your own. You almost need to be a friend of said attorney and know them really well otherwise it may become a slow, painful, and unsure process, you will also have to push that attorney to be timely, and double check their work , which defeats the purpose of hiring the attorney to begin with. I would advise you not to go with an attorney you have no idea about. If you do not personally know them, you have this site use it to your advantage, and do not hire one unless like these people say there are other circumstances that would warrant you to hire one.

K-1 Timeline
• Feb 22, 2013 – I-129F mailed via FedEx
• Feb 25, 2013 – USCIS Dallas Lockbox received
• Feb 27, 2013 – NOA1 date (CSC)
• Mar 04, 2013 – NOA1 hardcopy in mail

• Aug 07, 2013 – NOA2 (161 days)

• Aug 10, 2013 – NOA2 hardcopy in mail

• Sep 04, 2013 – file sent out from CSC

• Sep 12, 2013 – NVC assigned TKY case #

• Sep 13, 2013 – file in transit to TKY from NVC

• Sep 16, 2013 – CEAC site case status "READY"

• Oct 21, 2013 – Interview at Tokyo Embassy, approved in 3 minutes (236 days since NOA1)

• Oct 21, 2013 – CEAC site case status "Administrative Processing"

• Oct 22, 2013 – CEAC site case status "Issued"

• Oct 23, 2013 – K-1 visa delivered at around noon

j3sWp9.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.