Jump to content

Report of Birth Abroad in Accra


2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana

We have a beautiful baby girl born last November. What a blessing!

We decided that our first child would be born in Ghana because Florence has very good family support there. She traveled from Alaska to Accra last August, 30 weeks into her term. All went well and our daughter was born safe and sound.

I am the US Citizen. I traveled to Ghana when our daughter was three weeks old to visit and to assist with the paperwork. Don't bother trying to make an appointment with the embassy via e-mail or postal mail. I tried that and received no response. I finally called them and was told to make an appointment online through their website. That worked. The three of us went to the US Embassy on Dec 5 to file for our daughter's Report of Birth Abroad and first passport. We had the following items with us:

for report of birth abroad

completed form DS-2029

completed form DS-5507

certified marriage license

proof of termination of prior marriage

valid US passport for US Citizen parent

certified copy of US birth certificate for US Citizen parent

evidence of physical presence in the United States for at least five years

child's birth certificate

$100 fee (Cedi equivalent)

for child's US passport

completed form DS-11

two passport photos

$105 fee (Cedi equivalent)

The embassy visit took several hours but went well. The consular official carefully examined the passport photo and compared it to our daughter's appearance. Florence had a new Ghana passport issued in her married name. The consular official wanted to see the K1 visa and US admission stamp in her OLD passport. I scanned that and sent the image via e-mail when I returned to the US. Florence made a second trip to the embassy with the requested documents on Dec 10 and was given a ticket to return on Dec 27. She returned on that date and picked up the Report of Birth Abroad and baby's first passport. The overall experience at the embassy was OK.

Mother and baby traveled to the US in early February and are doing well. Florence complains a little about the Alaska cold but is adapting.

As they were leaving, an official from Ghana Immigration wanted to know why our child had a US passport but no Ghana visa. Florence was able to manage the situation without being fined or delayed but it was tense. A Ghana passport for our child would have avoided the problem.

If your child travels internationally with only one parent, it is a good idea to have a consent letter from the other parent. Florence had one. No one asked for it but you never know..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana

Congratulations~!!! That is beautiful news! WONDERFUL!!

There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever” ~Mahatma Gandhi~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...