lynndy38

Documents needed for interview

24 posts in this topic

OK,

My husband and I have our interview date,the email sent has a list of documents with a letter beside which indicates what they have and will need from me.

From what we can see I only need my passport,visa photo's and supporting evidence.

As is usual in the process we're reading conflicting advice on what we should do..........take EVERYTHING we have submitted in the past again,ie I-130,DS-230 etc.....plus original birth certificate/marriage etc( NVC have these so would mean me ordering and buying more)

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: HELP PLEASE.

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

OK,

My husband and I have our interview date,the email sent has a list of documents with a letter beside which indicates what they have and will need from me.

From what we can see I only need my passport,visa photo's and supporting evidence.

As is usual in the process we're reading conflicting advice on what we should do..........take EVERYTHING we have submitted in the past again,ie I-130,DS-230 etc.....plus original birth certificate/marriage etc( NVC have these so would mean me ordering and buying more)

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: HELP PLEASE.

Have you read this concerning your appointment http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv_018.pdf

It says unless already submitted to the NVC.....

HERE's the page about interview documents http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html They changed the link slightly, so the one in the interview instruction document is a bad link. Notice the third paragraph. That should help answer your question. Go over the document list following that just to review if there is anything on it not already sent to NVC.

Take your appointment letter as your ticket in the door. Take photocopies of documents you want back like the original birth certificate, marriage certificate. They will file the photocopies and give you the originals.

You don't need the I-130, etc. That is history. Not sure what supporting evidence?? You mean financial evidence for the Affidavit of Support? London isn't interested in photo albums, Skype logs, and such. They just glance at what was in the I-130 packet, which they receive from the NVC.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hiya Nich-Nick,

Thankyou for your reply,

My husband and I have read and re-read all the information on what we need to do,the problem is when you see other folk on here going for interview saying they're taking 'every document they can think of' you begin to doubt yourself,its a 600 mile round trip so the thought of missing anything when you're at the final hurdle of this process is awful :crying:

I sent copies of everything in a separate envelope along with all the NVC stuff,I can't copy anything now as they have all my originals.

Logically I know I only need my passport,interview letter and passport photo's but I just don't trust this process at all.......Ive read too many conflicting threads on here(thats my problem!!!)

I have OCD which manifests itself in over thinking stuff!!! Thankyou again :thumbs:

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

If it helps I had my interview yesterday.

When I was called to the first window they took my birth certificate and copy, police certificate and copy, 2 US Sized passport photos, Affidavit of support(original), my fiances tax transcripts and W2s, passport and MRV receipt.

I bought with me copies of all the documents I sent in to the embassy and a few forms of evidence of our on going relationship but none of this was asked from me.

Hiya Nich-Nick,

Thankyou for your reply,

My husband and I have read and re-read all the information on what we need to do,the problem is when you see other folk on here going for interview saying they're taking 'every document they can think of' you begin to doubt yourself,its a 600 mile round trip so the thought of missing anything when you're at the final hurdle of this process is awful :crying:

I sent copies of everything in a separate envelope along with all the NVC stuff,I can't copy anything now as they have all my originals.

Logically I know I only need my passport,interview letter and passport photo's but I just don't trust this process at all.......Ive read too many conflicting threads on here(thats my problem!!!)

I have OCD which manifests itself in over thinking stuff!!! Thankyou again :thumbs:

If you want to take everything to the interview, that is your choice. Do what feels best to you. For some comfort, read what London people say after the interview. It's usually more calming than the panicked ones who are facing the unknown or those from high fraud countries. Over and over they say they it was easy and the people were nice. Reviews--> http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=United+Kingdom&cty=&dfilter=5

The thing I think you need to go over is the I-864. I see more ir1/cr1 comments on that than other things. The NVC doesn't go over your documents for adequacy. You can't assume if NVC didn't RFE, then it is perfect. The embassy officer makes the call. I've seen several who had a joint sponsor but didn't prove the persons US citizenship. They post, "why didn't NVC tell me I needed that for my joint sponsor?" Well...because they don't analyze your papers that way. So read those I-864 instructions. Things to check:

--If joint sponsor, must prove US citizenship or LPR status of that person. Not the spouse. They already have that.

--all sponsors must have the most recent tax return. COMPLETE tax return is tax forms + W2 or 1099

--a tax transcript from the IRS takes the place of a complete tax return. No W2 or 1099 needed with transcript unless a joint sponsor.

--if joint sponsor files a joint tax return (example Mom & Dad) then you must clearly prove the separate income of the sponsor (Dad) because a joint tax return lumps it all together. The CO can't tell from a tax return or transcript how much Dad earned. A W2 would show it if Dad works or a 1099 would show it if Dad is retired or gets Social Security.

Going forward...channel your OCD into never letting an original go off to USCIS, IRS, NVC, DOS without making a photocopy of it. That's just basic common sense. Stop worrying about so much that your logic gets all fuzzy.

Also note that Blondie who commented was a K1. She had different documents to present because of not doing NVC processing. Your birth certificate and police certificate are already there. K1s have to call the embassy to pay in advance and get an emailed MRV receipt. You don't do that for a spouse visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Also note that Blondie who commented was a K1. She had different documents to present because of not doing NVC processing. Your birth certificate and police certificate are already there. K1s have to call the embassy to pay in advance and get an emailed MRV receipt. You don't do that for a spouse visa.

Woops! Good thing you spotted this! OP...dont listen to me :D It's pretty straight forward though and no need to panic :)

Woops! Good thing you spotted this! OP...dont listen to me :D It's pretty straight forward though and no need to panic :)

No problem,I appreciate you taking time out to give me reassurance!! :thumbs:

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

You gave a good report with this sentence that applies to spouse and fiancé visas:

I bought with me copies of all the documents I sent in to the embassy and a few forms of evidence of our on going relationship but none of this was asked from me.

Hundreds of Brits have said the same thing, but nobody believes it and so they haul 10 pounds of stuff to the interview. i think it comes from reading too many Filapina posts in petition forums because it's not a requirement listed on the London embassy instructions. :P In the end, you've got to do what your nervous gut is insisting or you'll throw up on the interviewer.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

I filed the same way as you and didn't have to bring anything other than the photos, passport and letter, but I brought copies of everything and additional photos, emails, etc. they didn't look at any of it and didn't even take the US visa sized photos that I paid £7 for (I'm still bitter I paid that much)

In the end, you've got to do what your nervous gut is insisting or you'll throw up on the interviewer.

I just laughed so much at this! I couldnt sleep the night before my interview, my stomach was in knots and i got out of bed several times for a bit more Pepto Bismol! Im sure i would have felt waaay worse if i hadnt had all of those unnecessary documents never mind how bad i felt when i actually had them!

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

• 2 weeks later...

Take your appointment letter as your ticket in the door. Take photocopies of documents you want back like the original birth certificate, marriage certificate. They will file the photocopies and give you the originals.

Okay, asking potentially daft question - but like to be really sure! I'm in a similar position and have sent all my originals to NVC (I did make photocopies before I sent them) Because NVC will mail my package to the London embassy (with my originals) does that mean I only need to take photocopies to the interview since they will have my originals already? Or do I need to order new original copies? The London EMbassy website is confusing me because it says originals but I've already mailed those! Ahhhh, I need an idiots guide to a Visa Process!

06/07/08 .. Met while working through Camp America programme in Maryland.

06/02/12 .. Got Married in Inverness, Scotland.

USCIS:

10/11/12 .. I-130 Sent

10/17/12 .. NOA1 date

12/20/12 .. File was transferred to my "local field office" (Baltimore)

02/05/13 .. NOA2 date

NVC:

02/11/13 .. NVC receives case

02/28/13 .. Case number assigned

03/01/13 .. DS-3032 Emailed

03/04/13 .. DS-3032 Accepted

03/04/13 .. AOS bill paid

03/08/13 .. AOS bill shown PAID

03/05/13 .. IV bill paid

03/06/13 .. IV bill shown PAID

03/06/13 .. IV Package Mailed

03/09/13 .. AOS Package Mailed

03/27/13 .. AOS packet accepted

04/11/13 .. IV packet accepted

04/11/13 .. Case Complete

P.s. I am SO confused about the photos you need to get. Are regular UK passport photos okay? I asked at the post office and they had no idea. Short of bringing my tape measurer, I've no idea whether they are okay or not?

Cat

USCIS:

10/11/12 .. I-130 Sent

10/17/12 .. NOA1 date

02/05/13 .. NOA2 date

NVC:

03/05/13 .. IV bill paid

P.s. I am SO confused about the photos you need to get. Are regular UK passport photos okay? I asked at the post office and they had no idea. Short of bringing my tape measurer, I've no idea whether they are okay or not?

Cat

There's info on the embassy site about the photos. They should be the US standard size (snappysnaps does them, but they're expensive, you can make your own with software). They're US size because they'll be putting one on your visa. :) This is a good resource (it has a photo maker): http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html

Not sure how far along you are, but you'll need at least one UK size photo for your police certificate application. All the others are US size.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

There's info on the embassy site about the photos. They should be the US standard size (snappysnaps does them, but they're expensive, you can make your own with software). They're US size because they'll be putting one on your visa. :) This is a good resource (it has a photo maker): http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html

Not sure how far along you are, but you'll need at least one UK size photo for your police certificate application. All the others are US size.

Thank you! I got my police check with my UK size passport photo so that is all sorted. I notice the post office do 'US visa approved' size photos as well as normal UK ones. Unfortunately I sent UK sized passport photos to my hubby with my IV package but I've still got time to go and get the other ones and send those instead!

I send 2 with IV package. And then I know I need 1 for my medical. And then is it 2 for my interview? Ugh and I think they give you 4 in one go so I'll probably have to pay for 2 lots! Ach well, worth it to be with hubby!

USCIS:

10/11/12 .. I-130 Sent

10/17/12 .. NOA1 date

02/05/13 .. NOA2 date

NVC:

03/05/13 .. IV bill paid

Thank you! I got my police check with my UK size passport photo so that is all sorted. I notice the post office do 'US visa approved' size photos as well as normal UK ones. Unfortunately I sent UK sized passport photos to my hubby with my IV package but I've still got time to go and get the other ones and send those instead!

I send 2 with IV package. And then I know I need 1 for my medical. And then is it 2 for my interview? Ugh and I think they give you 4 in one go so I'll probably have to pay for 2 lots! Ach well, worth it to be with hubby!

The medical people will accept either size, so if you have a spare UK size use that. My husband had both sizes at the medical and asked which they preferred. She took the UK size and said the US size doesn't fit on their form and they trim it down a bit anyway.

2 US size passport photos to the interview.

Your other question about documents. Make spare photocopies of the things you want back from the photocopies you have...if that makes sense. Meaning --always keep a set at home and don't give away your only copy. Then at the interview you hand over the photocopy and get back your original birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree....whatever document you want back.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.