ptc2001

Tourist Visa with Criminal Cautions + DUI?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I'm 28 years old, and from the UK. I have lived in various parts of the US for 3 years when I was younger, and I would love to come back and visit it with my own family now that I'm older.

I have had a few relatively minor mishaps with the law when I was young and stupid, so I believe I will probably need to apply for a visa. I have been researching online, and I'm still very confused about my eligibility.

In July 2002 I got a 'reprimand' for possession of cannabis, aged 17 at the time. 2 weeks later, still aged 17 I got a 'warning' for theft. The cannabis was only a small personal amount, and the theft was being in possesion of a sign that came off a notice board that I found on the floor; both very petty, but in the eyes of immigration I understand that it's the name of the offence alone that counts.

In May 2005 I stupidly drove my car back from the pub, and got charged with drink driving, and given a 16-month driving ban and a fine (reduced to 12-month by doing an awareness course). I was over 18 at the time of this, and this is the only thing I've ever been charged for.

I have had no other altercations with the law.

My understanding is that the DUI is not considered to be of moral turpitude, and the theft and cannabis would have been if I was 18+, but aren't in my case since I was 17 at the time.

Will I be able to visit the US?

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Don't really know, but if I was reviewed your file, you would get a second look. Maybe someone with a similar circumstance can relate their story.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.