Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Question about different address

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear Friends,

Good Morning!

In a few days I am going to marry with my fiancee who is US citizen. I am on F1 visa. we live in different states. We want to live together but because of my school i have to live in my state until i get decision about my petition.

My question are

1) should i change the address to her and start living with together before we file or in our case we can file using two different state address?

2) If we use separate address then on which address all USCIS mail go? my or my wife.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to school in Virginia and now dropped out if school and moved to california. I now live with my husband and am adjusting from F1. I learned that I don't necessarily have to wait and remain my status as long as AOS is pending, but it's surly better to remain in good standing with your status. So you could just go and live with your wife and wait with her. If you decide to wait away from each other, I believe you will have to put your address on your forms (and everywhere it asks for your address) and she has to put hers on her forms. Don't put a common address if you don't live together!

~Sometimes you must live through the darkness in order to see the light~

♥ ♥ ♥ 11/30/2012 - We got married in San Diego, CA ♥ ♥ ♥

CoS from J1 to F1 now AoS

Day 00 - 01/02/2013 sent AOS package via USPS

Day 02 - 01/04/2013 package arrived in the am *patiently waiting for more*

Day 05 - 01/07/2013 received text messages for all 4 forms

Day 06 - 01/08/2013 checks been cashed

Day 08 - 01/10/2013 received NOAs for all four forms

Day 12 - 01/14/2013 received appointment letter for biometrics on 02/01/2013 but completed biometrics the same day

Day 27 - 01/29/2013 received email that our case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview :)

Day 29 - 01/31/2013 received an email that our Interview will be on March 6 2013!!!!!!!!!

Day 33 - 02/04/2013 received hardcopy of interview letter

Day 62 - 03/05/2013 EAD/AP approved

Day 63 - 03/06/2013 scheduled interview appointment - APPROVED

Day 66 - 03/09/2013 I130 & I485 Approval noitces arrived in the mail

Day 70 - 03/13/2013 EAD/ AP combo card arrives in the mail

Day 71 - 03/14/2013 Greencard arrives yay!!!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived separately with my husband (and still do) when we were filing AOS and even when we were going for the interview and yet we got approved on the spot. Why? Because USCIS is not stupid. They know, if one is a student and wants to actually complete their degree there is a chance they won't be able to live together with their partner/husband/wife. So, I would say, don't worry about that! If you tell them the real situation, and schooling is a real situation and legitimate, you will have no problem about that. Indeed...at least they see that you actually got married, but not just so that you don't have to be a student anymore and quit school, but because you still want to pursue what you came here for, but just fell in love. They greatly appreciate if you say you'd like to stay in school and earn your degree....after all, we (students studying here to earn a degree) will contribute to the economy more than those who don't go to school and end up unemployed, or working at the check stand...they do to, I'm not downgrading them, but obviously higher level of education, more money, more tax too, hence more stability and higher likely hood you won't become public charge, but rather will contribute to the economy. So, don't worry on this, seriously! I still don't live with my husband for the EXACT same reason. And they did not even frown at us at the interview, and approved us right there, and within a week my green card was sitting in the mailbox freezing to death waiting for me to take it inside to catch a warm breath (if cards can actually do that?!-not sure :) )

Good luck, and don't worry...it is pleasing to hear for USCIS that you are still pursuing your degree as you're "the brain" in America! ;)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the address put whichever is more convenient to you guys. Meaning, whichever of you guys could travel more flexibly to the USCIS center for the interview....as for the interview you'll have to go together and the address will determine where your "local office" will be. If you feel you cannot leave school and your wife can easier travel/fly over to your "local office" use that one...if you know, you could always escape from school and travel/fly to your wife's "local office" then use hers...just think of it this way. Good luck again! :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I had similar question when I was filling up my application. My husband was living in another state because he was transfered from work and I was finishing up my degree in a different state. Onthe forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 and I-864 I listed my current address as my husband address since I would be moving here as soon the semester was over.

On my form G-325 I listed my current address with the address where I was actually living at that time (in another state) and included a letter explaining the address situation and asking for all notifications to be sent to my husband address. Everything was sent on his address and the fingerprint and interview was scheduled close to his address. For fingerprints I just got the notification and went to an office close to where I was living a few days before it was scheduled in case they didn't accept I would have enough time to send the notification back to reschedule but I did not have any problems taking the fingerprints in a different office and state. For the interview I will be going with him in a few days but now I am living with him so we won't have any problems. How soon both of you will be living together??

I would use his address if you will be moving out of this place soon but you can always contact USCIS and update your address but I don't know how hard it is to get this done when you are already in the process of adjusting status. Hope it helps and write if you have any questions!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you deborabr!

We are planning to live together soon but it will be possible only after our religious marriage.

Currently, I am on F1 student visa and enrolled in toefl program. I have to attand the school for 2 days ( 20 hrs ) only as a full time. Me me my wife can plan to live togather on other days. But I want to continue going to school till I get hear from USCIS.

So, I need your and other friends suggestions: Should I change the address to her state and live together for few days and again coming to my state for attending school for 2 days? What do you think is it good to do or not? As i read in other replies it not like that i am going to get major degree so must have to continue college. but i still i want to continue it. please reply. or use its better to use different address.

Thanks again!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long you have means to proof you are on a bonafide marriage in other terms it is a real relationship you should not worry about the address so much. As another member said before, depending on what address you use this is where they will use to schedule biometrics and interview so just keep in mind that you might need to travel to the office closer to your fiancee/wife's address to do your interview together, for biometrics you only need to have the letter of notification sent by USCIS and bring your documents and you can try to do an earlier walkin in a different office. How far away are you living from her? If it is feasible for you to attend the interview where she is living I would use her address for everything since you both plan on living together there later on and she is also the petitioner (US citizen). You can include a letter explaining the address situation, when she receives any notification she can send that to you by mail.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.