calygirl75

Submittal of Cuban Issued Marriage Certificate (CR1)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone here translated their own marriage certificate (Cuban Issued) or have used a professional translator in order to submit the required English version. I'm finalizing my I-130 package and translated it myself. I have the language I used but I would like to compare it to others VJrs on this forum. let me know and i can post. it would make me a bit more confident to receive feedback. the last thing I want is slow down our process by getting that portion rejected. :)

Petitioner/USC Married: 11/26/2012
USCIS (144 Days)
01-12-2013 : I-130 sent (CR1) - Phoenix AZ Lockbox
01-14-2013 : NOA1 - Processing @ NBC (MSC)
06-07-2013: NOA2 - Checked status via the USCIS website

NVC
06/20/13: NVC Received

06/26/13: Case/IIN Assigned
07/05/13: AOS Package Sent
07/18/19: IV Package sent
08/01/13: AOS Checklist - Grrr! (16 Business Days)
08/09/13: IV Package accepted (15 Business Days)
08/29/13: AOS Package accepted (17 Business Days)
08/29/13: Case complete

09/09/13: Interview Assigned

09/18/13: Medical Exam

10/07/13: Interview/Approved

10/14/13: Picked up Visa at US Interest Section - Havana

11/26/13: POE Tampa

ELIS/Green Card Production/SSN

12/03/13: ELIS Paid Status

12/07/13: SSN Arrived in Mail

12/19/13: ELIS Optimized/In Process Status

12/30/13: Production of New Card Began

1/3/14: Card Produced Status

1/6/14: GC Received via Mail

Petition To Remove Conditions on Permanent Residency - Jointly Filed

08/29/15: I-751 Form w/ Documentation - Laguna Nigel, CA PO BOX

09/02/15: NOA1

3/29/16: Approved - New Card is Being Produced.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

You need to have certified translations of all documents in a foreign language. Per the USCIS website:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

N-400

06/18/2016 Mailed N-400 application

06/21/2016 NOA

07/22/2016 Biometrics

08/26/2016 In line for interview

10/24/2016 Interview (approved)

11/16/2016 Oath ceremony

Timeline

You need to have certified translations of all documents in a foreign language. Per the USCIS website:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Thank you so much for providing the statement. Definitely not a professional but fluent in both languages :) Before our wedding, I did translate my birth certificate from english to spanish and sent it to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington for legalization. Before doing that I stopped by an agency to have it notarized and they approved the version I provided and stamped it. Saved a bit of time and $. This time I translated the marriage certificate and drafted a similar statement as the one you suggested. Although I like yours better so I will definitely modify my statement to reflect the wording above. I plan to stop by the same agency to get it notarized, just hoping to "compare notes" before I drive over to the agency. Example: "Para surtir efecto en:" "To take effect in:" "Certifico:" "I Hereby Certify:" etc.

USCIS (144 Days)

NVC

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Thank you so much for providing the statement. Definitely not a professional but fluent in both languages :) Before our wedding, I did translate my birth certificate from english to spanish and sent it to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington for legalization. Before doing that I stopped by an agency to have it notarized and they approved the version I provided and stamped it. Saved a bit of time and $. This time I translated the marriage certificate and drafted a similar statement as the one you suggested. Although I like yours better so I will definitely modify my statement to reflect the wording above. I plan to stop by the same agency to get it notarized, just hoping to "compare notes" before I drive over to the agency. Example: "Para surtir efecto en:" "To take effect in:" "Certifico:" "I Hereby Certify:" etc.

Calygirl-

When you sent your already translated Birth Certificate off to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington how long did it take and how much did they charge to approve it?

Did you also have to have the Eligible to Marry Document translated and notarized by a translation service?

Cuba.........!!!!

Thanks,

Art

Timeline

Calygirl-

When you sent your already translated Birth Certificate off to the Cuban Interest Section in Washington how long did it take and how much did they charge to approve it?

Did you also have to have the Eligible to Marry Document translated and notarized by a translation service?

Cuba.........!!!!

Thanks,

Art

Hi, In preparation to use these 2 documents in Cuba I drafted letter requesting the legalization of such documents (in spanish). Sent them a pre-paid overnight envelope so that it can be tracked and sent to me ASAP.

The fee to legalize is $140 per document. As instructed, we paid for 4 documents (the 2 originals - Birth certificate & State Dept Apostille/Certificado de Solteria and the 2 translations). Saved a little bit by doing the translation myself. Paid a Notary a minimal fee to have these translations certified.

Total fee sent to the Cuban Interest Section was $580 (via money order), since they asked us to include a $20 processing fee since this request was not done in person. As for length of time... If done right with no errors, less than a month. But, I'm not sure how long they are taking now since I'm hearing they are taking longer (4-6 weeks?) due to all these passports that Cubans have submitted to travel after they were permitted to return to the island, etc. Hope this helps.

USCIS (144 Days)

NVC

Timeline

Wow, that is an incredible sum of money for what amounts to about 60 seconds of work on the Cuban Interest Section's part. How much are they making an hour doing that I wonder........?!

In fact, that is actually a license for them to print money since they are not even requesting the Birth Certificate themselves to further authenticate/validate its origin and truthfulness. I mean, when you really think about it, without you standing in front of them with your ID or Passport, how would they know for sure anyway....... :bonk:

So basically for those thinking that the CR-1 would be a lower cost route to go versus the K-1, its not given the above that you dont have to to with the K-1. And of course the other Cuba payments for Medical exam, embassy interview, etc keeps adding to the cost even though those are the same no matter the type of marriage visa.

I guess in the end if you know you want to get married and you want your spouse to be able to hit the ground running looking for a job when they get off of the plane, that is the way to go.

Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

Timeline

I forgot to mention that it also cost me about $80 in fees to request my 2 originals from the state of FL, pay for the certified Docs to be authenticated by the State Department. Only to have the Cuban Interest Section certify the certification that was already certified. LOL. CRAZY!!!!! but you are right, you do what is right for you as a couple. For us it was important to be married in Cuba and we made the arrangments accordingly. :) Oh yes!! There was also the $600 CUC fee to be married in Cuba. If anyone has any questions about that process by all means let me know. I can share those details too.

Edited by calygirl75

USCIS (144 Days)

NVC

Timeline

I forgot to mention that it also cost me about $80 in fees to request my 2 originals from the state of FL, pay for the certified Docs to be authenticated by the State Department. Only to have the Cuban Interest Section certify the certification that was already certified. LOL. CRAZY!!!!! but you are right, you do what is right for you as a couple. For us it was important to be married in Cuba and we made the arrangments accordingly. :) Oh yes!! There was also the $600 CUC fee to be married in Cuba. If anyone has any questions about that process by all means let me know. I can share those details too.

So you were up to like $600 for the Birth Certificate and you did your own translations.

Then of course you had to fly there and pay for your tickets, etc. $400+ from Miami.

And now you are saying that you had to pay $600 for a marriage certificate in Cuba???!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt :bonk: :bonk: :rofl: :rofl:

The CR1 filing is like $1,000 I believe?

Now you are up and over $2600 easy. Way.

Oh and the cost of the wedding which is a deal compared to here in the states, thats true. Yes can you share more details about that process and how long it took to get the certificate? Did you have to send all of your documents to Cuba before you left so that your husband could start the process? How much does it cost for a couple to marry in Cuba? $5 CUC????!!!!

Sorry my friend, that is a train robbery that Jesse James would be proud of.

Edited by Gricel Y Arturo

Timeline
http://www.cubadiplomatica.cu/alemania/ES/ServiciosConsulares.aspx#Arancel This link will give the list of fees based on the services you require should you require consular services. The total fees we incurred were due to a combination of fees that we required. Obtaining the marriage certificate, using their notary services for the ceremony and the legalization of our certificates by MINREX so tha I can use them outside of Cuba. It adds up. My husband confirmed which office in Playa we were to use weeks before my arrival. I brought the necessary documents with me. We walked in with our documentation. It was reviewed/approved. (For example we provided our 2 witnesses' ID info etc. to the official.)Paid the necessary fees. Then we set the date and time we were to return for the actual ceremony. The actual marriage certificates were ready for pick up about 2 weeks after our marriage. It really was not difficult. I think I was more annoyed going through customs and keeping my bags under weight so that I do not get fleeced than the steps taken to arrange the ceremony. That was a breeze and it made the rest of our day perfect. :)

USCIS (144 Days)

NVC

Timeline

http://www.cubadiplomatica.cu/alemania/ES/ServiciosConsulares.aspx#Arancel This link will give the list of fees based on the services you require should you require consular services. The total fees we incurred were due to a combination of fees that we required. Obtaining the marriage certificate, using their notary services for the ceremony and the legalization of our certificates by MINREX so tha I can use them outside of Cuba. It adds up. My husband confirmed which office in Playa we were to use weeks before my arrival. I brought the necessary documents with me. We walked in with our documentation. It was reviewed/approved. (For example we provided our 2 witnesses' ID info etc. to the official.)Paid the necessary fees. Then we set the date and time we were to return for the actual ceremony. The actual marriage certificates were ready for pick up about 2 weeks after our marriage. It really was not difficult. I think I was more annoyed going through customs and keeping my bags under weight so that I do not get fleeced than the steps taken to arrange the ceremony. That was a breeze and it made the rest of our day perfect. :)

Thats good info. I would think that if you were born in Cuba that some of these fees would be much less expensive unless you were born outside. How long did it take for them to do the initial approval of your documents and then come back and get married?

Is there any added legal benefits of getting married in Cuba for you as the US citizen? I know you wanted to get married there anyway but is there any other plus side as far as legality if one day you ever have a house there, etc.

Of course, if things would ever change so much that you would want to live there.......thank you, great post!

Edited by Gricel Y Arturo

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone here translated their own marriage certificate (Cuban Issued) or have used a professional translator in order to submit the required English version. I'm finalizing my I-130 package and translated it myself. I have the language I used but I would like to compare it to others VJrs on this forum. let me know and i can post. it would make me a bit more confident to receive feedback. the last thing I want is slow down our process by getting that portion rejected. :)

Actually, all you need is to have the translated copy notarized as "Correct Translation". You do NOT need some high priced translator to do this. I used a professional secretary who was a notary. I did the translation using google translate with her in her office. Fixed the words that were not translated correctly (WITH THE NOTARY PRESANT). After we were done, she notarized it, and I sent it in. It was fine. I don't suggest doing it yourself, but NO WAY would I pay some high priced professional translator for this. You don't need to.

Good luck to you..

Timeline

Actually, all you need is to have the translated copy notarized as "Correct Translation". You do NOT need some high priced translator to do this. I used a professional secretary who was a notary. I did the translation using google translate with her in her office. Fixed the words that were not translated correctly (WITH THE NOTARY PRESANT). After we were done, she notarized it, and I sent it in. It was fine. I don't suggest doing it yourself, but NO WAY would I pay some high priced professional translator for this. You don't need to.

Good luck to you..

I am not going to say you are wrong, but we are talking about Cuba here. They are always looking for something to hold things up and make you go crazy, they found a mistake and you have to start over, etc.

Calygirl is a native spanish speaker so thats not a problem for her at all.

RD is easy compared to Cuba, I have had friends marry in both countries and there is no comparison how much harder Cuba can be.........I wouldn't pay for a high price translator either.

Timeline

Calygirl-

I was thinking the other day and wondered why not just get all of the documents approved in Cuba? Like send them before you go to your fiance and just have them notarize your birth certificate and single status certificate?

Is that doable? Something tells me that it could be done for less money when you are in Cuba...........

Ideas?

Thanks. :dance:

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Calygirl-

I was thinking the other day and wondered why not just get all of the documents approved in Cuba? Like send them before you go to your fiance and just have them notarize your birth certificate and single status certificate?

Is that doable? Something tells me that it could be done for less money when you are in Cuba...........

Ideas?

Thanks. :dance:

Hmmm. Sorry, not really sure if the fees to authenticate documents would cost less on the island vs an embassy abroad or the Cuban Interest Section here in Washington. You may need to have your relatives in Cuba ask this question to have a better understanding.

USCIS (144 Days)

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.