KVM

A piece of advice about the SSCard: Mail & delivery issues.

1 post in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I entered the country on a K1 on December 2 and, after a week, I applied for my SS# (December 10). The instructions on the receipt they give you at the local SSOffice says ''will receive within 14 days''. We married on December 21. By December 31 (21 days after applying), I decided: ''screw it, I'll got give it a shot and try to re-apply on my married name''.

At the SSOffice they told me that at the Post Office, before delivering such an important document, they check their files and if the recipient's name is not registered on the address provided they don't deliver the SSCard, but they destroy it. However, it seems that I was indeed assigned a SS# the day after I applied (December 11), so I *was* able to apply for a new SSCard under my married name (showing our Marriage Certificate). Right after, I went to the Post Office with my passport and Marriage Certificate and they registered me on our address (and under my married name, since is the name I go by now).

The day after, I got the 1st SSCard (maiden name), and after one week (January 7) I got the new one (under married name). I noticed that the 1st letter has a stick on it that reads: ''recipient moved and left no address. Return to sender'' and below: ''Impossible to send back to sender'' ... :blink:

So... to sum up: Once you get to USA, inform the landlord and your local Post Office that you're moving in your partner's address. After you marry you can go back to the Post Office and show your Marriage Certificate so they let the carrier know about your name change.

Happy New Year everybody

:star:

Edited by Mrs.Him

2015: ROC w/Divorce waiver

8/14/2015 - (Day 00) - Mailed ROC package to CSC - [uSPS: Priority w/delivery confirmation]
8/17/2015 - (Day 03) - Package Delivered
8/19/2015 - (Day 05) - Check cashed

9/15/2015 - Biometrics app. done

2/18/2016 - APPROVED w/o an interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.