haygoodj

Filing I-130 in Mexico

4 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen, with a FM-2 visa, living and working in Mexico for 13 years. My wife of 9 years is a Mexican Citizen.

I am planning on returning back to the states and was working on getting the I-130 visa for my wife and had a number of questions and would appreciate any help.

1) I am planning on filing DCF at Ciudad Juarez and need to understand where to send the I-130 form and information. When I called the Embassy in CDJ, the girl told me that I need to first call the NVC to get a case number before sending the packet. In the other sites, I see nothing of this. Can you confirm the process of sending the packet in?

2) I have been trying to determine how to pay the fee for the process. We have gone to many mexican banks and cannot get cashiers checks in dollars. I have a US bank account. Can you give me another option as far as how to pay the fee.

3) After receiving the visa, what is the grace period before my wife must be physically in the US?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I am a US citizen, with a FM-2 visa, living and working in Mexico for 13 years. My wife of 9 years is a Mexican Citizen.

I am planning on returning back to the states and was working on getting the I-130 visa for my wife and had a number of questions and would appreciate any help.

1) I am planning on filing DCF at Ciudad Juarez and need to understand where to send the I-130 form and information. When I called the Embassy in CDJ, the girl told me that I need to first call the NVC to get a case number before sending the packet. In the other sites, I see nothing of this. Can you confirm the process of sending the packet in?

2) I have been trying to determine how to pay the fee for the process. We have gone to many mexican banks and cannot get cashiers checks in dollars. I have a US bank account. Can you give me another option as far as how to pay the fee.

3) After receiving the visa, what is the grace period before my wife must be physically in the US?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I can help you through the process. We just went through the process in Mexico.

Married in Mexico 2012-06-16

I-130 DCF Sent : 2012-07-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-07-10
I-130 Approved 2012-07-11
Consulate Received : 2012-07-17
Packet 4 Received : 2012-08-03

Interview Date : 2012-08-21
Visa Received : 2012-08-23
US Entry : 2012-08-23
Interview took 42 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

I-751 Lifting Conditions
CIS Office : Vermont Service Center
Date Filed : 2014-06-13
NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio appointment ; 2014-07-18

• 7 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I have been wondering the same thing! I have personal checks from my bank account in the US, but it says they are not accepted when filing in Mexico City (DCF).

So how can I get a cashier's check or money order from here in Mexico? Or should I forget about DCF, send my I-130 package to the US, and just send a personal check?

Edited by profe

• 5 weeks later...

After many many years of living in Mexico I plan to DCF the I130 Petition (IR1) for my spouse. I believe that I have all of the required docs ready to send off to Mexico City USCIS and would love to get some pointers or tips from people. (USCIS in DF told me I did not need to send any evidence of bonafide marriage, photos etc, with the initial docs does this sound correct?)

Our plan is for me (US Citizen) to go back to the US and look for work once we send off the DCF I130 Packet. I would like / need to be working as soon as possible, for both domicile and sponsoring (I-864)purposes. (is this even allowed ? – Good Idea? – Bad Idea? what do you think?)

Since I current do not meet the requirements to sponsor my spouse with income but I am wondering about assets like 401K and real estate in Mexico. Do all assets need to be US based? If someone can share their personal experiences in this regard I would really appreciate it.

Also do things like escrituras (property deeds) and wills from Mexico need to be translated if presented for evidence of bonafide marriage? IF so can I do it or does it need to be done by a perito (certified translator )

How many pictures does one need to send ? (we have been together for over 10 years so we have a ton of pics but do not want to overdo it .

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.