Vox

Watching Canadian TV in USA

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't think it works that way. But call them to find out.

With US satelite companies you can get Canadian news (CTV I think) and maybe if you're close to the border you can get other stuff. I dunno.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

There was a thread regarding this awhile back. I don't remember what all the legalities were in regards to it. I plan on having my bell dish in the US but I live close to the border and still have a Canadian residence and address. I can't miss the Curling coverage in the winter.

I also do know that the snowbirds have their Canadian dishes with them and somehow set them up on their motorhomes and trailers when they head south in the winter.

Filed: Other Timeline

better watch having a permanent residence in 2 countries, this can seriously mess with your taxes and status.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

better watch having a permanent residence in 2 countries, this can seriously mess with your taxes and status.

I know all about it, Reba. I will still be working in Canada so I know all about tax implications and my residence in Canada will be considered a seasonal residence. No worries or should I say no unexpected worries as I'm well up on what I am doing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah, i'm bummed that i won't be able to watch canada's next top model cycle 2 this winter.

:(

but what would i rather have - models or my husband??

uhhh, yeah...my husband wins.

:)

our timeline:

I-130:

sent 3/30/2006

noa1 4/6/2006

touched 4/8/2006

APPROVED!!! - noa2 7/10/2006

I-129F:

sent 4/25/2006

noa1 5/2/2006

touched 5/13/2006

touched 7/3/2006 - IMBRA RFE

APPROVED!!! - noa2 7/31/2006

received package 3 - 8/31/2006

faxed package 3 to vancouver - 9/5/2006

received package 4 - 9/12/2006 with an interview date of 9/25/2006

called for a specific interview date and got it!

INTERVIEW!!!!! - 10/16/2006

GOT K-3 VISA - 10/16/2006

WOOT DEE WOOT!

EAD:

sent 11/3/2006

noa1 11/13/2006

biometrics appt 11/28/2006

touched 11/29/2006

touched 11/30/2006

touched 1/20/2007

touched 1/23/2007

touched 1/24/2007

approved 2/12/2007

card received 2/17/2007

SSN:

applied 2/20/2007

card received 3/5/2007

AOS:

sent 04/08/2008

check cashed 04/17/2008

noa1 04/19/2008

biometrics appt 05/02/2008

case status appears online 05/02/2008

touched 05/05/2008

touched 05/06/2008

touched 05/16/2008

received interview letter 06/20/2008

interview 09/04/2008 - APPROVED!!!

card received 09/29/2008

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I do miss some Canadian TV.... like Canadian Idol etc.... can't think of any other shows :lol:

Oh well, I get most of my favourite shows here so I don't miss it too much

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm hoping Trailer park Boys the movie comes to the DC area!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

UGH- I'm gong to miss watching the Senators play. Somehow I doubt all their games are gonna be broadcasted in VA. :( Unless of course my fiance subscribes to all the sports channels...that would be too dangerous!

I'm hoping Trailer park Boys the movie comes to the DC area!!!

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Timeline

I'm going to miss Canadian HGTV and Canadian Food network. Everytime I visit the US and watch HGTV the bulk of the programs are crafty. I don't want to make a lampshade out of pipe cleaners, and I don't want to sponge my walls. I want the Designer Guys! Obviously, I don't have it on all the time, but the best programs on it are the Canadian design shows that they've picked up. As for the food network, it is supposed to be 24/7, but in my new home town, it is all infomercials in the morning. And there is really only so much of that Rachel Ray person I can take.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Saw the senators play the Caps in DC Monday night, your not missing much!! They have the potential to be a very good team,but that seems to be the case every yr with them!! My Flames are struggling as well! Tis an early season and a lot of games yet to be played.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

so far i only miss corner gas and will get this season on dvd as soon as i can. i get HNIC on the NHL package which reminds me of other things i miss including timmy's and the Mercer report.

k

Timeline
so far i only miss corner gas and will get this season on dvd as soon as i can. i get HNIC on the NHL package which reminds me of other things i miss including timmy's and the Mercer report.

k

This is why the CBC website is our friend! You can watch a lot of their programs on the website, including the Mercer Report. It's not the whole show, but it's better than nothing :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know I will miss the Mercer Report, Corner Gas (been great this season Cameo's each episode) and of course Grapes, I will miss Grapes and Ron. And I will miss Coronation Street.

Edited by Leafgal

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.