DeadPoolX

House, Senate, and Gubernatorial elections...

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

As someone who generally votes Republican, I can't say I see the Democrats losing both the House of Representatives and the Senate. They may not win one or the other, but I have a strong feeling they'll take over one of the chambers. I also see the Democrats picking up governorships in a number of states that are currently held by Republicans, but that's more of a minor front.

This may not be such a bad thing. I haven't been very pleased with the Bush Administration and the way Congress has been handling things. I believe in very little government interference. Usually Republicans do as well. Unfortunately, this Republican president and Republican-controlled Congress doesn't seem to hold to those ideals.

I, for one, am really angry with many of the changes to American life -- all in the name of "national security." The very reason I voted Republican was because I wanted less government intrusion, not more! Ironically, the Democrats probably wouldn't have instituted as many changes (although they would have intruded in other ways). Take, for example, the hassles with airport security nowadays: We have airlines demanding that you arrive three hours early for a flight (domestic or international); all of the restrictions regarding what we can and cannot bring onboard the aircraft; and more recently, there has been talk of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security requiring that all individuals need to get special clearance from the DHS in order to leave and re-enter the U.S. on international flights.

I don't know about any of you, but this sort of stuff worries the hell out of me! Okay, sure, having to get to the airport and get your boarding pass three hours ahead of take-off is a pain, but I can handle that. The security line-up, I can handle as well -- I just dislike the fact that now I need to cram as many 3 ounce (90 milliliters) containers into a single 1 quart (1 liter) Ziploc bag and have that run through the x-ray machine seperately. What seriously concerns me is the idea that the Department of Homeland Security wants passengers to get special permission to leave and re-enter the country. You know what other governments did that? Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

So maybe it's time for a change. Maybe if the Democratics get in power for a little while, it'll knock some sense into the Republican Party and they'll return to their roots and party platform. If not, then they have a serious problem. I'd hate to vote Democrat (I really don't believe in many of the tenets of Democratic philosophy), but I can't see myself voting Republican again unless this political party shapes up. Perhaps I'll just vote Libertarian when it comes time for a new president. ;)

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Timeline
As someone who generally votes Republican, I can't say I see the Democrats losing both the House of Representatives and the Senate. They may not win one or the other, but I have a strong feeling they'll take over one of the chambers. I also see the Democrats picking up governorships in a number of states that are currently held by Republicans, but that's more of a minor front.

This may not be such a bad thing. I haven't been very pleased with the Bush Administration and the way Congress has been handling things. I believe in very little government interference. Usually Republicans do as well. Unfortunately, this Republican president and Republican-controlled Congress doesn't seem to hold to those ideals.

I, for one, am really angry with many of the changes to American life -- all in the name of "national security." The very reason I voted Republican was because I wanted less government intrusion, not more! Ironically, the Democrats probably wouldn't have instituted as many changes (although they would have intruded in other ways). Take, for example, the hassles with airport security nowadays: We have airlines demanding that you arrive three hours early for a flight (domestic or international); all of the restrictions regarding what we can and cannot bring onboard the aircraft; and more recently, there has been talk of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security requiring that all individuals need to get special clearance from the DHS in order to leave and re-enter the U.S. on international flights.

I don't know about any of you, but this sort of stuff worries the hell out of me! Okay, sure, having to get to the airport and get your boarding pass three hours ahead of take-off is a pain, but I can handle that. The security line-up, I can handle as well -- I just dislike the fact that now I need to cram as many 3 ounce (90 milliliters) containers into a single 1 quart (1 liter) Ziploc bag and have that run through the x-ray machine seperately. What seriously concerns me is the idea that the Department of Homeland Security wants passengers to get special permission to leave and re-enter the country. You know what other governments did that? Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

So maybe it's time for a change. Maybe if the Democratics get in power for a little while, it'll knock some sense into the Republican Party and they'll return to their roots and party platform. If not, then they have a serious problem. I'd hate to vote Democrat (I really don't believe in many of the tenets of Democratic philosophy), but I can't see myself voting Republican again unless this political party shapes up. Perhaps I'll just vote Libertarian when it comes time for a new president. ;)

Good read. I enjoyed it. And I agree: It's time for a change.

I voted all over the ballot looking at the candidates and what they stand for rather than what party they're affiliated with. And looking at issues and what that means in terms of government interference where it may or may not be warranted. There were a lot of NPA's that got my vote on the state and local level. As for the US Congress, I had to vote for those that will keep the White House in checks - the Republicans have demonstrated time and again that they are not capable of performing that Congressional duty. Besides, who'd vote Katherine Harris into the US Senate anyways? :blink:

Edited by ET-US2004