rs56164

Question regarding AOS interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife and I just received notice of our AOS interview scheduled for the end of Jan. The document instructs us to "bring birth certificates for all children of this marriage (none) and custody papers for your children and for your spouses children not living with you". I have 2 children from my previous marrige and have the custody papers. My wife has a 20 old son in china but we have no documentation for him. My question...her son is an adult, is this something we should be concerned about? Plus, there is no such thing as custody/child support orders in China that I'm aware of.

Thanks

Timeline

My wife and I just received notice of our AOS interview scheduled for the end of Jan. The document instructs us to "bring birth certificates for all children of this marriage (none) and custody papers for your children and for your spouses children not living with you". I have 2 children from my previous marrige and have the custody papers. My wife has a 20 old son in china but we have no documentation for him. My question...her son is an adult, is this something we should be concerned about? Plus, there is no such thing as custody/child support orders in China that I'm aware of.

Thanks

This was moved to the wrong forum. We are adjusting status from tourist visa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks

For our AOS interview we brought the original White Book (and a photocopy) of my wife's Divorce decree. That is basically all we had that even mentioned the existence/disposition/living arrangement of their son. In our case, the son wanted to immigrate to the US, so we prepared another White Book containing a notarized letter from the ex-husband giving his permission for his son to immigrate (obviously that is not your situation).

Hopefully, you should be okay. An brief verbal explanation may be necessary if you are asked.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks

This was moved to the wrong forum. We are adjusting status from tourist visa

No need to duplicate post, it just confuses things.

Please refer to my response on your duplicate thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/406043-question-regarding-aos-interview-documentation/

Timeline

For our AOS interview we brought the original White Book (and a photocopy) of my wife's Divorce decree. That is basically all we had that even mentioned the existence/disposition/living arrangement of their son. In our case, the son wanted to immigrate to the US, so we prepared another White Book containing a notarized letter from the ex-husband giving his permission for his son to immigrate (obviously that is not your situation).

Hopefully, you should be okay. An brief verbal explanation may be necessary if you are asked.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks A&B...I was wondering if we should get a notarial certificate of birth for her son in order to verify his age. I'm so tired of bothering her family in China to get documents for us. :(

Edited by rs56164

Timeline

Thanks A&B...I was wondering if we should get a notarial certificate of birth for her son in order to verify his age. I'm so tired of bothering her family in China to get documents for us. :(

That may be a prudent course of action. Sometimes it is better to be over-prepared in case of a overzealous IO at your AOS interview. :thumbs:

Timeline

Well as you mentioned, if you and your wife already knew each other before her recent visit, it will be considered immigration fraud for your case. So your focus right now cannot be only on the notarized b/c of the family member, but also how will you and your wife convince the immigration officer that your wife didn't have immigration intent upon her recent entry. Just to remind you of it.

We knew each other and visited one another several times. There was never any intent to marry. My wife had a good life in China. We fell in love and I asked her to marry me...plain and simple. I didn't want to be apart again. I don't understand why you consider this immigration fraud?

Timeline

It's not me who considers your case immigration fraud. I was trying to remind you if she came with immigration intent, your case will be considered that way. But if she came here with no intention to marry, that's good for both of you. Also when she applied the visa, the visa officer could probably ask her if she knows anyone in states or if she has a bf in states, she cannot lie on those questions. No lie is the rule. It will be good that you guys are following the rules. Good luck.

There was no intent. My wife is on her second U.S. visitors Visa. She has visited friends in the U.S. before I ever knew her and returned to China. She's visited me and returned to China. On her last entry she indicated to the officer that she was here to visit her boyfriend (ME). The officer had no concerns and there were no lies told. If there were intent, we would have gathered all the needed docs from China before she came here instead of keeping Fedex profits up.

Edited by rs56164

Timeline

Glad to hear the reply. To know one thing that I came to U.S. on a tourist visa too. And there was some topic before where someone totally disagreed with me claiming people with B2 to marry is simply immigration fraud and claiming that the beneficiary is spending the taxpayer's pennies. While I disagreed and I even asked my husband to send a very formal reply. That's why I was somewhat concerned about your case. The reason I sent you message was because I want to remind you guys of the cold truth of it. But now everything seems good after your explanation. A true love is not defeated by excuses. We all abide by the rules. Happy holidays my friends!

Happy holidays to you as well :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.