lostinblue

Preventing Violence in Our Schools

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Actually it's more simple than that. I spent three years living in Germany, and while you are spot on in regards to gun violence, there are some key differences between here and Europe:

At least where I was stationed, I can't speak for the entire country, but in Germany specifically, they don't glorify violence on TV like here in the states. Their interest lies in "human reproduction" more than anything. I've seen commercials that were worse than most adult films here. Same thing with guns, I remember flying into Frankfurt for the first time, the guards there all had automatic weapons. But you don't see games like GTA in heavy rotation. Also there isn't this good guys vs bad guys with guns attitude that we have here. Look at the majority people on here fighting for gun rights, how many people here actually live in a bad part of their city where they need a gun for protection? A recent study shows that most of the people that have guns don't have them for protection, it's more for bragging rights and intimidation.

You're going to educate this born and raised German on what youth in Germany watches on TV and plays on their computers and X boxes? That's cute. :lol:

Now, it is true that Germans don't subscribe to the fallacy that more guns make a home, a neighborhood, a city, a state or a country - or the world, for that matter - a safer place. We know that to be false. But to say that kids in Germany aren't as exposed to violence on TV and playing electronic games is false. They watch the same programs over there, play the same games. But they don't typically have a lot of gun violence going on. You might say that while being largely pro-choice, they actually value life in Europe.

The Nazi Weapons Law (or Waffengesetz) which further restricted the possession of militarily useful weapons and forbade trade in weapons without a government-issued license was passed on March 18, 1938.

We are actually not really interested in following the political ideals of a born and raised German. In fact the laws you seem to prefer look a lot like the "Waffengesetz" (LOL game of the day - use "Waffengesetz in a sentence)

Kindly do some digging and lemme and the rest of America know how that all worked out for the German people? Last I heard it almost extincted ya.

You're going to educate this born and raised German on what youth in Germany watches on TV and plays on their computers and X boxes? That's cute. :lol:

Now, it is true that Germans don't subscribe to the fallacy that more guns make a home, a neighborhood, a city, a state or a country - or the world, for that matter - a safer place. We know that to be false. But to say that kids in Germany aren't as exposed to violence on TV and playing electronic games is false. They watch the same programs over there, play the same games. But they don't typically have a lot of gun violence going on. You might say that while being largely pro-choice, they actually value life in Europe.

i don't get it.

My apologies, I was stationed in Wurzburg for almost 3 years, and my sons are half German, they live there now. When I was there I didn't see alot of violence on TV at all. Mostly adult watching but no two fisted, heads being blown up, or dismemberments. Might been the time frame, I was there from 97 to late 99. My sons play Halo and COD but don't have any desires to play with toy guns(unless it's laser tag:)

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline
My apologies, I was stationed in Wurzburg for almost 3 years, and my sons are half German, they live there now. When I was there I didn't see alot of violence on TV at all. Mostly adult watching but no two fisted, heads being blown up, or dismemberments. Might been the time frame, I was there from 97 to late 99. My sons play Halo and COD but don't have any desires to play with toy guns(unless it's laser tag:)

The one significant difference there is is that there is generally less gun enthusiasm in Europe. People don't worship killing devices like some do here. And that might have something to do with the different attitude towards gun violence. That's not a matter of medication, though, but a matter of raising children in a way that they grow up to be people that respect and value human life.

As for the TV shows, it's the same ####### that you see here. Literally. They take shows that play on TV here, simulcast them into german and that's it. That has been going on back in the late 90's. I left Germany in '96 and remember all those US TV shows airing on German stations.

The one significant difference there is is that there is generally less gun enthusiasm in Europe. People don't worship killing devices like some do here. And that might have something to do with the different attitude towards gun violence. That's not a matter of medication, though, but a matter of raising children in a way that they grow up to be people that respect and value human life.

As for the TV shows, it's the same ####### that you see here. Literally. They take shows that play on TV here, simulcast them into german and that's it. That has been going on back in the late 90's. I left Germany in '96 and remember all those US TV shows airing on German stations.

See, when I was there all I remember is Marihoff and some other Soap Tv, I never saw a lot of gun play on German shows. I will give Germany credit, they do keep their fingers on the pulse, when soemthing happens here they already know about it, here we don't really cover everywhere unless it deals with the US directly.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg