sandgoose

NOA2 Approved! Question about scheduling interview - South Korea

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I've got a question concerning the interview scheduling for the K1. I'll try to provide some info to hopefully explain the question clearly. Today- Dec. 19- we received our NOA2! We filed in early July, and have weddings planned for mid-May (in Korea) and June in the US in 2013. Timing shouldn't be an issue.

Now comes my question- my fiance is going to come to visit me in the US basically for the whole month of March. She lives at home now with her mom, so any mail which gets sent to her home can be conveyed to us VIA momma.

I'm expecting that she will probably be contacted by the embassy before she comes here in March. Obviously, she can't go in for her interview before she comes in March, because we are getting married in Korea on May.

So the question- I've seen others above who noted that interview dates can be arranged online for the embassy in South Korea, but for other visa types. Is this the same for K1 filers? Ideally she would make an appointment for interview within the first week or so of returning back to Seoul in March.

BTW.. this is my first post in VJ. Any advice or tips pertaining to the US embassy there would be greatly appreciated. I lived in Korea for a few years as a student and worked in a company. Now I live in New York and I work in the Korean Consulate here. Just trying to get her here legally!

Thanks again everyone!

You cannot get married in Korea. The K1 is a fiancee visa, one entry, to get married in the United States. If you get married while you are waiting for the K1 Visa, it will be of no use to you, and you will have to begin all over again with the spousal visa.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. We are only doing a wedding ceremony in May, but nothing official.

Upon arrival in the US in May (after receiving the visa) we will get married officially.

Be very, very careful in doing that. I have read of couples being denied for that. And made to start over with a spousal visa.

Timeline

There shouldn't be any issue. It's simply a ceremony for her family. There will be nothing official records signed or changes of maritial statuses. And anyway, by that time she should have the visa. I'm simply wondering about the interview scheduling procedure in Korea for the K1 visa.

It commonly happens that people want a ceremony for the overseas half of the couple. DO a search here on VJ. Understand the risk.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You cannot get married in Korea. The K1 is a fiancee visa, one entry, to get married in the United States. If you get married while you are waiting for the K1 Visa, it will be of no use to you, and you will have to begin all over again with the spousal visa.

Agree! :thumbs:

OP:

Welcome to the forum.

You can call it what you like. If the Consular Official (CO) has any hint that any type of wedding/marriage ceremony has occurred, you could be determined to be no longer be eligible for a K-1 visa and denied. Most folks either get married first in the US using the K-1 visa, then later have a ceremony in the beneficiary's native county; OR get married in the beneficiary's native county and then apply for a CR-1/IR-1 spousal visa,

This topic has been discussed numerous times before on this forum. Review any number of previous threads for details.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Yeah I understand exactly what you are all saying, and I'm not trying to sound rude in my responses. If things go as planned she will have her visa in hand beforehand. Like I said, it won't be an official ceremony but more of an engagement event. Giving her whole extended family an opportunity to meet mine. But as I have read all of your advice, there will be no mention of anything about this to the consulate (not that we were planning to).

Filed: Timeline

So the question- I've seen others above who noted that interview dates can be arranged online for the embassy in South Korea, but for other visa types. Is this the same for K1 filers? Ideally she would make an appointment for interview within the first week or so of returning back to Seoul in March.

Others have already warned you of the risks about the ceremony in Korea. I did a lot of research on the issue, and flat out refused my fiancee's family request to do a "simple ceremony" in Korea before she comes to the US. You obviously have to make your own decision on the matter. I was not willing to take such risk.

Regarding the interview, the K1 is scheduled on-line just like the others. After you get Packet 3, you will print a deposit slip and pay the Visa fee at Citibank in Korea. The bank will issue a receipt.

To schedule an appointment on-line, you will need the DOS case number and priority date (both found in your Packet 3 letter) and you will need the receipt number from Citibank. Just create the account, log-in and follow the prompts. You can choose whatever date you wish, provided there is availability.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.