wasabisnack

Changing Address at London Embassy

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone. I know this has probably been asked before, but I did a search and nothing that matched turned up.

Basically, I'd like to change my husband's address. He moved yesterday and we want him to get packt 3, naturally. I know we have some time before that stage, but better to be prepared.

I tried changing it with USCIS, but they were incredibly unhelpful. NVC has not gotten our case yet, so I will keep trying them there.

However, USCIS has told me on two separate occassions now that our case could be sent to the consulate before being sent to NVC (which seems so backwards to me and I keep thinking both operators must be wrong!)

I want to cover ourselves and make sure things go smoothly. When I emailed the Consulate(Londonconsular@state.gov), I got an automated response stating that if I was not told to use the email address, I would receive no further information from them...

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I send a formal letter to NVC and London Embassy just to be safe or is that crazy??

Thanks, in advance and again, for helping me maintain sanity in this process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hi everyone. I know this has probably been asked before, but I did a search and nothing that matched turned up.

Basically, I'd like to change my husband's address. He moved yesterday and we want him to get packt 3, naturally. I know we have some time before that stage, but better to be prepared.

I tried changing it with USCIS, but they were incredibly unhelpful. NVC has not gotten our case yet, so I will keep trying them there.

However, USCIS has told me on two separate occassions now that our case could be sent to the consulate before being sent to NVC (which seems so backwards to me and I keep thinking both operators must be wrong!)

I want to cover ourselves and make sure things go smoothly. When I emailed the Consulate(Londonconsular@state.gov), I got an automated response stating that if I was not told to use the email address, I would receive no further information from them...

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I send a formal letter to NVC and London Embassy just to be safe or is that crazy??

Thanks, in advance and again, for helping me maintain sanity in this process.

Be very carefull! Thats all I can say from my experience....

Ok, call the london Embassy. You will get a call centre in Glasgow. They are very helpful. If they have received your case they will give you a reference number, you can then email the Embassy with the reference in your subject box. this will then be ready withing 3-5 days. Without thius reference you will be ignored and deleted!

I changed my address at the USCIS twice, in writing AND by recorded mail, they were both ignored! My packet 3 sat at my old address for 2 weeks, gutted!

You could also put it in writing, but again if the havent receiverd your case yet you will get a standard letter, which will do nothing.

Good luck!

Claire

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This sounds like a silly question...but couldn't he have applied for a mail redirection service when he moved? Royal Mail do this for you for a pretty good fee. You apply at the Post Office. I've used it many a time and have always been pleased with it.

Packet 3 would automatically be redirected to his new address then.

Edited by mags

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This sounds like a silly question...but couldn't he have applied for a mail redirection service when he moved? Royal Mail do this for you for a pretty good fee. You apply at the Post Office. I've used it many a time and have always been pleased with it.

Packet 3 would automatically be redirected to his new address then.

Hmm... we were under the impression that mail coming from the Embassy could not be forwarded.

I'll have him do that as well though, just to play it safe.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Where did you hear/read that? As far as I am aware the Royal Mail has an obligation to forward all mail for that address.

*shrugs*

You got me there! I don't know about embassy letters. Would have thought they would have been forwarded like any other item of mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Where did you hear/read that? As far as I am aware the Royal Mail has an obligation to forward all mail for that address.

*shrugs*

You got me there! I don't know about embassy letters. Would have thought they would have been forwarded like any other item of mail.

I think the Embassy stuff will be forwarded ok, but I dont think the postoffice can forward government mail? My Fiances stuff from the USCIC with a government stamped enelope did not get forwarded, even though we set up a re-direct. Although something from the NVC did!

Best to check with the Embassy too just to be sure...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.