JuhEvan

My fiancee and I both live abroad: I-129F Question 16

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

First off thanks for the wealth of support from the community for this undoubtedly long and arduous process.

My question deals with question 16 of the I-129F form, which states "If your fiance(e)'s native alphabet uses other than Roman letters, write his or her name and address abroad in the native alphabet." My fiancee is from Korea and myself from the United States, we both do not live in our native countries, we live and work in Singapore. My fiancee's name in her native alphabet would be Korean, although her address abroad would be in Roman letters, which Singapore uses(English is one of the national languages). I worry that address abroad does not refer to the current/mailing/living address (reflected in Part B. Question 1), that it refers to her (parent's) address back in Korea and that by mixing the languages of question 16 it would set off flags for a RFE. So my confusion is in how to fill out question 16, do we put:

1) Her name in Korean, and our Singaporean address in English (which is already listed in Question 15 and Part B. Question 1)? Or,

2) Her name in Korean, and her parents address back in Korea? Or,

3) Her name in English, and our Singaporean address in English.

I've been working on this document since our engagement two months ago and I'd really like to send soon, so that I can return to the states with her (at least we are lucky enough to be together through the process).

Also, if anyone has any specific questions about filling from Singapore, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Best Regards

Edited by JuhEvan

Her name in Korean (to match with her birth certificate etc) and her address in English (or N/A).

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

As Harpa Timsah stated, the answer to question 16 on the I-129F (as well as the corresponding question on the G-325A) should be your fiancee's name in Hangul, to match her passport and Basic Certificate (기본증명서) and Family Relation Certificate (가족관계 증명서).

"Address abroad" would be the same as the address in Part 1 since your fiancee is not in the United States at the time you're filing the I-129F petition. Assuming she has Singaporean residency (i.e., she's not just there on a short-term visa) you'd use the Singaporean address in both Part 1 Question 1 and Part 2 Questions 15 and 16. For Question 16 specifically, as Harpa Timsah stated, use the English address or write "N/A."

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

As Harpa Timsah stated, the answer to question 16 on the I-129F (as well as the corresponding question on the G-325A) should be your fiancee's name in Hangul, to match her passport and Basic Certificate (기본증명서) and Family Relation Certificate (가족관계 증명서).

"Address abroad" would be the same as the address in Part 1 since your fiancee is not in the United States at the time you're filing the I-129F petition. Assuming she has Singaporean residency (i.e., she's not just there on a short-term visa) you'd use the Singaporean address in both Part 1 Question 1 and Part 2 Questions 15 and 16. For Question 16 specifically, as Harpa Timsah stated, use the English address or write "N/A."

Thanks very much for your replies. Yes, we are both residents, living here long term on work visas (both for several years). We will do as you suggested with question 16; actually we've already printed out and signed that way, though wanted to be sure before sending (tomorrow hopefully).

Things brings up a few other questions to mind. We weren't going to include the Family Relation Certificate with the original I-129F submission, just her previous divorce certificate and translation.

- Is this something that is needed, or can we just bring it along to the interview along with her birth certificate and translation?

Another possible issue is that when the divorce/birth certificate was translated by a public notary / law office in Korea, they only translated the first page but not the second page which only lists the time, issuer and requester. Also the certificate of translation only says that it is true to the original, but not that the translator is fluent in both Korean and English.

- Do you believe this would be a problem? Or should we "translate" ourselves the first and second page, and include the proper certificate of translation as per the USCIS instructions?

You guys are a life saver, thanks!

Things brings up a few other questions to mind. We weren't going to include the Family Relation Certificate with the original I-129F submission, just her previous divorce certificate and translation.

- Is this something that is needed, or can we just bring it along to the interview along with her birth certificate and translation?

Right, the Family Relation Certificate isn't needed with the I-129F submission but rather at the consulate/interview stage. I only referred to it with regard to using the name in Hangul on the I-129F/G-325A so that everything matches up come interview time.

Another possible issue is that when the divorce/birth certificate was translated by a public notary / law office in Korea, they only translated the first page but not the second page which only lists the time, issuer and requester. Also the certificate of translation only says that it is true to the original, but not that the translator is fluent in both Korean and English.

- Do you believe this would be a problem? Or should we "translate" ourselves the first and second page, and include the proper certificate of translation as per the USCIS instructions?

To this, all I can say is that my wife translated everything herself (using templates she found on Korean-language immigration web forums) and used the USCIS-prescribed translation certificate language. I now know this isn't best practice—a third party should sign off on the translations, even if the petitioner or beneficiary prepares them—but we didn't have any problems.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.