prpplague

DCF in Barbados

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

updated info:

well... just got back from the consulate. we arrived at about 7:30. turned in our appointment letter after going through security. we were then called up to a window to present all of our documentation. after all the documents were turned in we were told to have a seat and wait to be called. we waited for about an hour before seeing the consul. we went over all of our documentation. the consul said it was ok if i stayed for the interview but i'd have to take the oath as well. then came the question on the ds-230 part II about the overstay. the consul said since we believed we were legal at the time to answer NO to the question, which we did. he review all the passport information and we were asked about the last stay where she had the I-94 form stamped D/S. he said he'd have to contact DHS to get a copy of the I-94 entry and exit dates information. he did not deny the visa, however he said he'd need to get verification from DHS. he said that the latest information he had said that all mismarked B-1/B-2 entries would default to 6 months. if thats the case, we'd need to file a I-601 waiver. he did say that he had seen other B-1/B-2 mismarked and the BCIS/USCIS had defaulted to 1 year. so we left without the visa, with a letter stating that they get back to us within a week. other than the issue with the overstay he would have given us the visa then and there(DOH!). he also commented that all of the documents were text book perfect(YEH!).

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

prpplague,

Congrats on your successful appointment!

So he's saying the D/S was a mismark? How can you be expected to 'pay for that?

I have a feeling that this will turn out well for you, but that's just from reading my coffee grounds this morning. :)

We'll be eager to hear about you going to pick up the visa, very soon!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
prpplague,

Congrats on your successful appointment!

So he's saying the D/S was a mismark? How can you be expected to 'pay for that?

I have a feeling that this will turn out well for you, but that's just from reading my coffee grounds this morning. :)

We'll be eager to hear about you going to pick up the visa, very soon!

yea, i'm keeping all 10 fingers and 12 toes crossed......

one additional piece of information i got today was that i met a USC who was there filing his I-130 for his wife. he was there as a tourist. it appears that barbados consulate told him on the phone that he could file his I-130 even if he was a tourist. we left before he was seen, but he assured me that he spoke to several people at the consulate and they said it was ok to file even if he was tourist, as long as his wife was a current resident on one of the islands that the barbados consulate has jurisdiction over.

in preparation in case i have to file a I-601, i located some information. it appears that the consulate in santo domingo, dominican republic is the offical DHS/USCIS sub office for the area that covers barbados. they have web site info on processing I-601 other than the times vary depending on the reason for the inelligabilty. i called and was able to get someone on the phone. she said that normally for a I-601 with an overstay, the processing time is between 30 and 60 days. of course i take this with a grain of salt as i have no idea what position this person had there.

in addition, i've taken the liberty of getting a letter from my fathers doctor. my father has recently been diagnosed with a disease similiar to parkinsons which also has symptoms similiar to alzheimers(sp?). so this will help as a hardship letter. i've also arranged for a letter from my work stating they need me to be present in the states to retain my employement(really not 100% correct, they'd keep me anyway, my boss is awesome) and i also got a letter from my wife's daughter's biological father who is a USC, stating that it is a great hardship on him not having his daughter(who is a USC) near to visit. i think will all this plus my letter of hardship we should be ok, specially since the ban would be for 3 years and we've been out of the US for over 2 years.

Timeline

updated information:

the consul just called. not one of the office people, the consul officer himself. he said that he tried to talk to DHS about it but due to changes in the rules, ALL mistakes on b-1/b-1 I-94 cards will be assumed to be 6 months. so we have to get a waiver. the CO was very nice and said he'd put in a recommendation to approve and to expidite the request. i've already got the paperwork done so we will go in tomorrow morning to file the 601 and get the fingerprints done.

Timeline

updated info:

well we got the I-601 filed this morning. the consul was very very nice. he got all of our information, and added his request to expidite as well as his recommendation for approval. the DHS office that will handle our I-601 is the sub office in santo domingo, Dominican Republic. the consul said it would take 2-3 weeks for the fingerprints to clear and then he expected 3-4 weeks for the DHS office to approve or deny the waiver.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.