bebop + rocksteady

Concerned about my financial support requirement.

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One of your points is why I'm slightly concerned (I should have mentioned this in my original post).

I was at my previous full-time job for a year, and previous to that, I was in college, so I held multiple part-time jobs over the course of 4 years. Not the most stable of work histories.

Other than that, the context for this job change is very positive. As far as being 'on the ropes' it's a Professional Staff position for Indiana University. It's been around since 1820, I don't think the government is planning on shutting us down anytime soon. :lol:

And yes, a smart career move. Better pay, better work, better title/position, broader array of experience, higher exposure of work, more prestigious employer, etc. It's a fabulous career move, which I think will be obvious to anyone who sees the differences in my job titles ("Junior Designer" to "Art Director"). I left my previous job because I was asked to apply for this job (nice feeling being wanted. :P).

Anyways, I'm hoping that the later positive qualities overshadow the negative quality of an erratic job history. And I guess I'm asking for everyone's opinions if they think it will or not.

Yodrak, thanks for helping me to clarify.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Cass,

Like a smart career move? Unless the new employer (is it a new employer?) is publicly known to be 'on the ropes' and in danger of shutting it's doors if the new talent like you that it's hired can't engineer a quick turn-around.

How long were you at the previous job? And the job before that? All moving you ahead, or treading water, or because you were thrown out of the last job? Context, Cass. Provide context.

Yodrak

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

rebeccajo,

I disagree. A visa applicant who does not meet the public charge provisions of the law cannot be issued a visa. Public Charge is one of the things that makes a visa applicant ineligible for a visa.

Yodrak

rebeccajo,

Meeting the public charge provisions of the law usually requires more documentation than an I-134. A tax return or 3 is a commonly requested item to document income.

Yodrak

The I-134 doesn't require the submission of tax returns.

Yodrak....

We aren't talking about any enforceable law. We are talking about the I-134.

Filed: Other Timeline

Yodrak,

We've discussed before that the I-134 in and of itself if not an enforceable contract. Thus my statement. Hair splitting I know but nonetheless, true?

Becca

rebeccajo,

I disagree. A visa applicant who does not meet the public charge provisions of the law cannot be issued a visa. Public Charge is one of the things that makes a visa applicant ineligible for a visa.

Yodrak

rebeccajo,

Meeting the public charge provisions of the law usually requires more documentation than an I-134. A tax return or 3 is a commonly requested item to document income.

Yodrak

The I-134 doesn't require the submission of tax returns.

Yodrak....

We aren't talking about any enforceable law. We are talking about the I-134.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

Well thank you for the advice, and take no offense to this, but I have a very open and understanding relationship with my parents and am lucky to understand what is a burden to them and what is not. Like I said in my previous reply, I'm not completely in the dark here, I have read over the instructions many times before and have discussed this at length with my parents preparing them for the possibility that I MIGHT need them after I got more information. I never asked them to sign anything. I simply explained what it meant if I did end up to need them, and there was no hesitation on their part.

I would feel much better having a sponsor lined up since there IS a small question as to the solidity of my work history. Better safe than sorry, I believe.

This is all aside from the fact that I won't IN FACT need them financially (regardless of who is Craig's legal sponsor) to support me and Craig. My parents trust my financial skills and my income in knowing that even though they are promising to sponsor Craig, I will not need to "use" their generosity. It's not like my parents are signing on to sponsor the fiance of some student without a job.

Cass, the reason I answered you the way I did is this.

I think you asked your folks for a mighty big favor before you got the information you needed. Just my opinion being a mom myself, but by the same token an older child who also asked my parents for back up - that ended up not being needed.

You don't need your parents to sign.

Edited by bebop + rocksteady

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

AOS/EAD

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

Cass, I concur. Personally I don't consider your job history 'erratic'. You have been 'building'.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the later positive qualities overshadow the negative quality of an erratic job history. And I guess I'm asking for everyone's opinions if they think it will or not.

Cass,

"I should have mentioned this in my original post" Don't make the same mistake submitting your financial info to the consulate. They know only what you tell them, be sure to tell them everything you have that can make you look good.

I wouldn't say that you've got an erratic job history, but you do have a short job history. That can sometimes make a difference, sometimes not.

Bloomington? Have you been to the Oliver Winery?

Yodrak

One of your points is why I'm slightly concerned (I should have mentioned this in my original post).

I was at my previous full-time job for a year, and previous to that, I was in college, so I held multiple part-time jobs over the course of 4 years. Not the most stable of work histories.

Other than that, the context for this job change is very positive. As far as being 'on the ropes' it's a Professional Staff position for Indiana University. It's been around since 1820, I don't think the government is planning on shutting us down anytime soon.

And yes, a smart career move. Better pay, better work, better title/position, broader array of experience, higher exposure of work, more prestigious employer, etc. It's a fabulous career move, which I think will be obvious to anyone who sees the differences in my job titles ("Junior Designer" to "Art Director"). I left my previous job because I was asked to apply for this job (nice feeling being wanted. ).

Yodrak, thanks for helping me to clarify.

Cass (bebop the great)

Cass,

Like a smart career move? Unless the new employer (is it a new employer?) is publicly known to be 'on the ropes' and in danger of shutting it's doors if the new talent like you that it's hired can't engineer a quick turn-around.

How long were you at the previous job? And the job before that? All moving you ahead, or treading water, or because you were thrown out of the last job? Context, Cass. Provide context.

Yodrak

Cass,

I'm not offended and I hope you aren't. I use the word 'burden' only from the standpoint that if this were an I-864 we were dealing with (and we aren't) they would be 'on the hook' to USCIS for 10 years. And that is frequently referred to as a 'burden' in commonspeak in this community.

I asked my folks to joint sponsor for me as well and it wasn't needed. I understand why you would want to do this on your own.

Well thank you for the advice, and take no offense to this, but I have a very open and understanding relationship with my parents and am lucky to understand what is a burden to them and what is not. Like I said in my previous reply, I'm not completely in the dark here, I have read over the instructions many times before and have discussed this at length with my parents preparing them for the possibility that I MIGHT need them after I got more information. I never asked them to sign anything. I simply explained what it meant if I did end up to need them, and there was no hesitation on their part.

I would feel much better having a sponsor lined up since there IS a small question as to the solidity of my work history. Better safe than sorry, I believe.

Cass, the reason I answered you the way I did is this.

I think you asked your folks for a mighty big favor before you got the information you needed. Just my opinion being a mom myself, but by the same token an older child who also asked my parents for back up - that ended up not being needed.

You don't need your parents to sign.

Timeline

Sure have! I take a big trip there before Christmas every year and pass out the bottles to the fam for gifts. It's a beautiful place!

Thanks for your help!

Bloomington? Have you been to the Oliver Winery?

Yodrak

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

AOS/EAD

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

Becca,

We've gone off in two entirely different directions. Let's go back to where we started. I-134 does not ask for tax returns except for the unemployed, but consular officers often do ask for tax returns for the same reason they ask for an I-134 - it gives them a good picture of the proposed sponsor's financial condition.

A basic concept that many people seem to overlook is that there are no specific INA-required financial documents for a non-immigrant visa, there is only a requirement that the visa applicant demonstrate that they will not become a public charge after entering the USA. In the case of the K visas that usually, but not necessarily means a sponsor and it's DS-2001 (formerly OF-167) - not I-134 - that gives the guidelines for documents that a sponsor can provide to meet the public charge requirement.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

We've discussed before that the I-134 in and of itself if not an enforceable contract. Thus my statement. Hair splitting I know but nonetheless, true?

Becca

Agreed.

So we are back to 'know thy consulate'.

In which case Cass will need to research what is typical for her beloved's Canadian consulate. My experience is with London.

I'm always 'forward-thinking' when I read these posts - looking to the I-864 at AOS. If Cass is indeed in the 'growth' scenario she presents and her 2006 tax return will show 125% of the poverty guideline when she files for Craig, and she can prove by employment letters, etc. that she had been improving her financial position, it's my thinking she will be well able to stand on her own at that point. Which I believe is important to all of us, especially spirited young women.

Becca

Becca,

We've gone off in two entirely different directions. Let's go back to where we started. I-134 does not ask for tax returns except for the unemployed, but consular officers often do ask for tax returns for the same reason they ask for an I-134 - it gives them a good picture of the proposed sponsor's financial condition.

A basic concept that many people seem to overlook is that there are no specific INA-required financial documents for a non-immigrant visa, there is only a requirement that the visa applicant demonstrate that they will not become a public charge after entering the USA. In the case of the K visas that usually, but not necessarily means a sponsor and it's DS-2001 (formerly OF-167) - not I-134 - that gives the guidelines for documents that a sponsor can provide to meet the public charge requirement.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Becca

Edited by rebeccajo

But Yodrak, section II, C of the I-134 instructions says:

if self-employed,

1. copy of last income tax return, or

2. report of commercial rating concern.

I submitted my 2004 return as I am self employed!

Cass, I have been a freelance AD(how ironic!) for 8 years then went to art school in England 2003-5, where I did not make much $$. I am now again employed but freelance. I have unstable returns for my last few years so I will get a joint sponsor. I clearly make enough $$ as does my fiance (seasoned London architect). I do not want to risk not getting the GC - better to be safe than sorry. I recommend you get one parent to joint sponsor the I-864.

Edited by devilette

devilette,

Yes....OK....?

Yodrak

if self-employed,

devilette,

Yes....OK....?

Yodrak

if self-employed,

What you said in bold - I was pointing out it was not true.

Edited by devilette

devilette,

Ahhh said the old man as the light bulb began to glow ever so dimmly!

Thanks for correcting me.

Yodrak

devilette,

Yes....OK....?

Yodrak

if self-employed,

What you said in bold - I was pointing out it was not true.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.