The Mean Lady

Proving Support

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I read somewhere briefly someone say that when dealing with the support leg of the process, they will look at my bank balances.

Is this really the case?

I make 36k/yr so obviously enough to meet the poverty requirements, however my bank is most often at about 2-10 dollars the day before I get paid =[

I am hoping to god that won't affect us.

I'm meticulous about spending and how much we can and can't spend but I just have too many bills these days (plus Canada is so freaking expensive) that it's impossible to save money.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It shouldn't be a problem. My husband got a letter from the bank that just stated how much money had been deposited in there over the whole year, so even though his balance was low most of the time from paying bills it reflected his annual income. The most important part of the affidavit of support is the tax returns/transcripts, so long as you are above the poverty line you should be totally okay.

Timeline

Is providing something from my bank required? I was under the impression I'd could just provide 3 years of returns and my current stubs. =\

As always one should refer to the official instructions. Here are the instructions for the I-864 from the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf Refer to page 11; a letter from the bank is not required. All that is absolutely required is a copy of your tax return or a tax transcript for the most recent tax year. If you don't want to get a letter from your bank but still want to include supplemental evidence you can go with pay stubs or a letter from your employer, although these aren't required either.

Short answer: 3 years of returns and pay stubs should be fine. I don't have experience with the IR1/CR1 route though and I only recently filed my AOS so take my advice with a grain of salt. With my I864 I included 7 pay stubs and three years' worth of tax returns, but that was just recently so I don't know if that'll be a problem. I doubt it though.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

As always one should refer to the official instructions. Here are the instructions for the I-864 from the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf Refer to page 11; a letter from the bank is not required. All that is absolutely required is a copy of your tax return or a tax transcript for the most recent tax year. If you don't want to get a letter from your bank but still want to include supplemental evidence you can go with pay stubs or a letter from your employer, although these aren't required either.

Short answer: 3 years of returns and pay stubs should be fine. I don't have experience with the IR1/CR1 route though and I only recently filed my AOS so take my advice with a grain of salt. With my I864 I included 7 pay stubs and three years' worth of tax returns, but that was just recently so I don't know if that'll be a problem. I doubt it though.

I've read the instructions, which is the point of this thread, because I saw in a few threads people talking about them looking at bank balances

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Well, you asked if it's required, and it's not, as it states in the instructions. Honestly I wouldn't be too worried. But if you're not satisfied with that then get a letter from the bank.

They want to see that you make 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size. So long as you meet that requirement as demonstrated through your tax returns you should be fine. Also keep in mind that Canadians tend to get it easier when it comes to immigrating- if you were looking at threads started by people of other nationalities (which you didn't say but may have been the case) the horror stories can be misleading since we don't get it that hard.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Well, you asked if it's required, and it's not, as it states in the instructions. Honestly I wouldn't be too worried. But if you're not satisfied with that then get a letter from the bank.

They want to see that you make 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size. So long as you meet that requirement as demonstrated through your tax returns you should be fine. Also keep in mind that Canadians tend to get it easier when it comes to immigrating- if you were looking at threads started by people of other nationalities (which you didn't say but may have been the case) the horror stories can be misleading since we don't get it that hard.

No I saw canadians mention it, that's why I was like O_O

oldlady.gif

Timeline

No I saw canadians mention it, that's why I was like O_O

LOL, then why did you ask? If there's only one answer you'll take...

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

LOL, then why did you ask? If there's only one answer you'll take...

What are you talking about? I asked if this was going to happen to me.

Everyone seems to say no, so I'm going with no.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.