2,987 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey all,

Just have a query, My vawa was approved and i am living in a dv shelter as I have no job and no money. Are there any benefits that I can get? My shelter staff says that I can't get no benefits because I do not have kids and DHS do not provide food stamps and other benefits without kids. Is that true?

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

It was approved in 2010 Dec. Do you think I should check with DHS?

Did u get you green card yet. I don't know for vawa applicants if they can get benefits immediately but the "regular person" who has a green card can only get benefits after 5 years of having a green card and you have to attend the job program and they help you find a job. If you had a citizen child you would get it for that child they would take your income and everything into consideration (or no income) and help you find a job if you didn't have one because you are eligible to work.

I have to wonder if vawa applicants can get benefits immediately after getting a green card then that means that person can get benefits indefinitely unless they go above the poverty line for their family size. I highly doubt that but I can be wrong just a thought.

Edited by lorphelpme

Filed: Other Timeline

Did u get you green card yet. I don't know for vawa applicants if they can get benefits immediately but the "regular person" who has a green card can only get benefits after 5 years of having a green card and you have to attend the job program and they help you find a job. If you had a citizen child you would get it for that child they would take your income and everything into consideration (or no income) and help you find a job if you didn 't have one because you are eligible to work.

I have to wonder if vawa applicants can get benefits immediately after getting a green card then that means that person can get benefits indefinitely unless they go above the poverty line for their family size. I highly doubt that but I can be wrong just a thought.

In my vawa approval notice, its written that I can apply for public benefits; now wondering what public benefits they were referring to? My green card is in process and I am expecting it in mail anytime soon. I know a regular person has to wait but my question is focused on vawa approvals.

Thanks for your reply :)

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

In my vawa approval notice, its written that I can apply for public benefits; now wondering what public benefits they were referring to? My green card is in process and I am expecting it in mail anytime soon. I know a regular person has to wait but my question is focused on vawa approvals.

Public benefit is anything the welfare office provide but with vawa it varies from state to state. I see that u got approved in 2010 when was your interveiw cause from wat am seeing it took 2 yrs from your approval to get green card not including time you waited for approval.

Just want to know your timeline

Good luck

That's not true about the kids part, u need to first apply then they will determine what u can get. But I am certain benefits is given to people without kids.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.