yellowjacket123

Traditional Hindu marriage after Court Marriage

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I am the USC, and my wife is the beneficiary who's in India. We did our court marriage (under the special marriage age, meaning no temple or small hindu wedding, so we didn't get our wedding registered but did the actual court marriage) in May, and I applied for I-130 in May itself. We will be doing the big celebration according to traditional Hindu ways in December.

I know in the interview (in next Feb i think), my wife will be asked on why did we do the court marriage first, and did the regular Hindu wedding almost after 7 months. In my situation, we couldn't do the Hindu wedding in May, because I couldn't get off work for long, and none of my relatives from overseas could have been able to travel at that time as well. Since we wanted a big wedding, that requires extensive planning and preparations, we delayed it until Dec, that would give us ample time. Also, our priest told us to marry in Dec as its more auspicious based on our horoscopes. Are all of these reasons reasonable?

I am worried if it would raise any flags that we didn't go the regular path of getting married the traditional way first, and then just registering that marriage in court later before applying for I-130. It would be of great help, if someone with similar case replies back, and provide some guidance. One good thing is that at the time of interview, my wife will have all the pictures, cards, etc to show from the Hindu wedding. So, its not like we are not doing it all, but i guess not necessarily in the right order as most people do.

I will appreciate any guidance at all. Thanks!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.