zentaco

Credit Card?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Before I moved to California, I contacted my bank to tell them about the move and to change my address. I even changed my credit card type and no issues were mentioned. Yesterday, I called to see if I could change my name on my card and found out from the person that supposedly I wasn't allowed to have a Canadian credit card per federal government rules because I was permanently moving to the USA. Does anyone else here still have a CAD credit card, or know more details on this? It was a bit upsetting to suddenly find this out as most of my money is still in my bank account in Canada, so my credit card was my main way of accessing it until I got my banking situation down here figured out. Fortunately I was finally able to get a bank account at a local credit union so I can wire more down here soon, but it kind of sucks that I'm apparently not allowed to have a proper credit card in either Canada or the US yet (US because I'm jobless still). :(

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Timeline

I was unaware of this! I will contact my local bank as well. Is there a bank with an American counterpart that would allow it? It is also my main way to access the money I left in my Canadian bank account.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Apparently you can get a secured credit card from Wells Fargo, but it's a little different in that you have to keep at least $300 on it to pay your bills, and I don't know what the limit is. Also I'm not sure that you can build credit with it. My stay with WF is a temporary one though (switching to a credit union as mentioned) so I opted not to apply.

Edit: Found the details: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/secured/

Edited by zentaco

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that was the case with Presidents choice! Just gave them my parents addy! I just kept the bank account--closed my Credit cards.

I believe Capital one has a CC for people with no to poor credit history

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

TD let me keep my credit card. I even went in person and told the lady at the bank that I was immigrating to the USA and that I needed to update my address, etc. and then she printed off a paper listing charges that might be applied when using my credit card in the US. I have heard of other TD users being told they can't use their credit card if they're not residents, they seem to be inconsistent with it though. I wonder what their official policy is because I've been using mine here for over a year, but it expires soon and I'll have to replace it...

If it is against federal government rules, I wonder if I'll be penalized? Because the bank didn't say anything and I was completely upfront about it :S

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Anyone know anything about BMO - Bank of Montreal and its credit cards? Does the same apply to them? If I use my parent's address (which is my current address) on my credit card after I move to the USA, can I still use it even if I'm not living there? Hmm... I'd like to know more about the government regulations on this. As usual it seems we get conflicting reports depending on who we ask!! :unsure:

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

I don't know why you'd want to use a credit card in the US anyways, you're just paying fees fees fees.

why would one pay fees?? Pay it off in full--Your good to go! Plus get the points!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

How is using a credit card in the US any different than using a credit card in Canada? Its pretty much the same thing, no extra fees that I've encountered. Hubby and I have several cards that serve different purposes, points and rewards etc.

I still have my scotiabank credit card, even though I haven't used it in 3 years. I changed my info with them, and they never said it was an issue.

Like flames mentioned Capital One has a new resident card designed for people with no credit who just moved to the US. I had no issues getting approved, but I did wait until I had a job. When I moved my husband added me as an authorized user on his cards so It wasn't an urgent need. If that's an option for you, it will at least establish a credit file, and sometimes helps you start building credit... it worked for me.

Timeline

Hmm, that's strange, I still have all my Cdn bank accounts and credit cards. My 2 banks and 1 credit union where I have these accounts have my new address in the US and it's not a problem.

I use my Cdn credit card when I'm in Canada travelling so I avoid the extra fees some banks charge for using their credit card in a foreign country. I'd think most of us will or do go back from time to time. My two Cdn credit cards are the simple ones with no annual fees to pay so I plan to keep them forever.

Also; my husband and I decided right from the start to use the currency of the country we were in and have not had to buy or sell currency and pay the bank fees. When we do need to transfer Cdn $ to the US we watch the rates and move when it's par or higher and use the credit union in the USA as they do not charge a fee.

This has worked really well for us and has saved us a lot of money which is a good thing, always!

good.gif

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

One can't make a blanket statement--some banks care, some do not--each have their own policies!! I know my capital one CC charges me no fees while in Canada, Nor here in Nicaragua and a good exchange rate! But if I use my citi bank CC, forget it--they love their fees!!

Timeline

why would one pay fees?? Pay it off in full--Your good to go! Plus get the points!!

No, you are using a canadian credit card in the US therefor you are most likely paying the 3% international fee, at least that's what it is for visa when I use in canada.

This spells it out I think, though I didn't finish reading it:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/foreign-transaction-conversion-fees-1276.php

And to the person who says capital one doesn't charge them, that is only capital one and discover.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Also, I only have experience with a few banking systems, but I know for Chase, the fees are never spelled out, they lump it all together when I used my chase card in canada. They would add together the exchanged currency cost and the 3% out of country fee and it would just appear as (1) cost.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

No, you are using a canadian credit card in the US therefor you are most likely paying the 3% international fee, at least that's what it is for visa when I use in canada.

This spells it out I think, though I didn't finish reading it:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/foreign-transaction-conversion-fees-1276.php

And to the person who says capital one doesn't charge them, that is only capital one and discover.

That's why 1 does research and uses a card that does not charge fees.

I'm with President's Choice and do not pay any extra fees for using my MasterCard here in the US. When I called PC to tell them I was moving, they did tell me that I'd need to close my credit card account with them eventually as permanent residents of the US are not supposed to use their Canadian credit cards. For now, it just has a travel advisory added to the card so that it my purchases are not flagged and card blocked. They did tell me that I'd have issues getting a new card when this one expires but it isn't until 2015 so I hope to have everything figured out by then.

My plan is to keep my Canadian checking account (debit card) but eventually close out my credit card.

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.