ForgotMyPassword

Sorry For the Noob Question, It's Been A While.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So, my visajourney didn't exactly have the storybook ending I had hoped for, and my spouse and I are now divorcing. We have been separated for a while, but recently decided that it just wouldn't work out. The issue in front of me now is a result of my own negligence. When my spouse returned to Canada was not asked to turn in the 2 year green card. I suddenly realized last weekend that this might be an issue and that they should turn it in. After talking to my spouse, it appears the green card somehow grew legs and wandered off. I am wondering what can and what should be done at this point. We should have filed ROC this month (that is what reminded me of it).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, my visajourney didn't exactly have the storybook ending I had hoped for, and my spouse and I are now divorcing. We have been separated for a while, but recently decided that it just wouldn't work out. The issue in front of me now is a result of my own negligence. When my spouse returned to Canada was not asked to turn in the 2 year green card. I suddenly realized last weekend that this might be an issue and that they should turn it in. After talking to my spouse, it appears the green card somehow grew legs and wandered off. I am wondering what can and what should be done at this point. We should have filed ROC this month (that is what reminded me of it).

Don't think it really matters a lot, that is your spouses issue. They have abandoned their GC anyways by leaving and now living and residing in Canada anyways. If she ever planned on moving back to the US, they would have to re-file the entire process all over again from scratch as if they had never lived in the US to begin with.

If they visit the US, they will just show their Canadian passport and present themselves as a Canadian anyways as having the GC would have been abandoned and they wouldn't admit that through the border anyways...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Warlord. What your spouse did or didn't do is not your problem- you can't control their actions. Their status is now abandoned, and the GC is now useless. And if you should have filled ROC this month the card will soon be expired anyways. I wouldn't worry about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.