karem12

Green card and social security with diferent last names?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, if some knows about this please help!

I got my green card one month ago with my birth last names, but then I applied for my social security with my husbands last name.

Social security said it was ok, since green card is just for inmigration purposes.

But then I called DHS and they say I cant have them with diferent last names, and that I have to apply a form to change my green card, which will take about 6 months.

Do I have to change my green card now? for a new one with my maiden name, so it matches with my SSN?

Filed: Timeline
I got my green card one month ago with my birth last names, but then I applied for my social security with my husbands last name.

Social security said it was ok, since green card is just for inmigration purposes.

But then I called DHS and they say I cant have them with diferent last names, and that I have to apply a form to change my green card, which will take about 6 months.

Do I have to change my green card now? for a new one with my maiden name, so it matches with my SSN?

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/replace.htm

How Do I Replace My Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)?

You will need to replace your permanent resident card if:

-- Your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was already married when I received my green card, I just dont know why they didnt used my married name, since I was married in USA, I have no longer my birth name, They should have used my husbands last name not my colombian last name,,,

is it ok to leave it with the colombian lasta name and my SSN with my married name?

This is so confusing,.,,

Filed: Timeline

karem,

What name did your husband put on the line 1 of Section C of his I-130 ? And what name did you put on your visa application forms?

Yodrak

I was already married when I received my green card, I just dont know why they didnt used my married name, since I was married in USA, I have no longer my birth name, They should have used my husbands last name not my colombian last name,,,

is it ok to leave it with the colombian lasta name and my SSN with my married name?

This is so confusing,.,,

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.