emzie1007

pending status but in school

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey guys so I am currently pending status from an f-1 student visa and was wondering the following, if any of you have had experience with this. First of all do I tell the school I am pending? I want to let them know but wasn't sure if it was unnecessary as I do not yet have a green card. Am I still required to have 12 hours in school? I know this is a rule as an f-1 student holder but I an unsure when you are pending if you still need to maintain 12 hours and obviously I want to make sure and not make a bad decision dropping one of my classes. Lastly did many of you even attend school after you were pending? I don't know what the rules are of this. Any help would be greatly appteciated. Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can let the school know – I don’t think it is going to impact your situation in anyway.

As far as I am aware you are required to maintain your 12 hours until your AOS is complete and you get your new GC status as until than you are on F1.

If you drop your class you would lose your F1 status may be it might not even matter for your GC but I am thinking your school would force you to take full load until your AOS is complete.

Continuing school is up to you. Notifying them is up to you. Taking 12 credits is up to you. You can quit school if you want. I've seen where people notify the school and the school terminate their status in Sevis. Maybe you'll be asked about school at your interview but honesty is always the best policy. I was out of status for 3 yrs and it wasn't a problem for me. Now I have my GC, I'm back in school full time. So in the end, the decision is up to you. Either way it will not affect you at all

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

No, I didn't go to school. My sevis was terminated but immigration didn't come looking for me. I took few classes at a technical college but I wasn't in a program there. I'm in the program now though. Like I said the decision is all yours though, just sharing my experience...:) If the school report you, its not gonna affect your case in anyway but your IO might think you got married because you wanna quit school, so it all comes down to proving that your marriage is legitimate with tons of documents to show. If you don't mind me asking, how long you been attending school?

06.08.12 - AOS mailed

ROC- Divorce Waiver

08/11/14- RFE received

Filed: Other Timeline

I wouldnt be worried in anyway. We know that we have a ton of evidence and are legitimate! I have been in school since Jan 2008. I almost have my bachelors. I don't want to drop out altogether. K just want to drop to 9 hours for this semester if possible. I have a class I find extemeley hard and I am not making the best grade so rather than the D which is not a pass in this class I would rather drop it.

I wouldnt be worried in anyway. We know that we have a ton of evidence and are legitimate! I have been in school since Jan 2008. I almost have my bachelors. I don't want to drop out altogether. K just want to drop to 9 hours for this semester if possible. I have a class I find extemeley hard and I am not making the best grade so rather than the D which is not a pass in this class I would rather drop it.

If that's the case, you can talk to your ISA and drop that class. Know that he/she will terminate your sevis record since you will take less than 12 cr. That will make you out of status but since your AOS is pending it will not be an issue with immigration especially since you are not completely out of school. Goodluck and all the best on your journey....

06.08.12 - AOS mailed

ROC- Divorce Waiver

08/11/14- RFE received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.