Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Proof of Legal Name Change

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada

So my fiance and I are about to file our package and one question I have is regarding her legal name change. She (the US Citizen) was previously married and took her husbands last name. Since she was divorced she has not reverted back to her maiden name and her passport/drivers licence is still in her married name.

When we filled out all the forms we have used her current married name and not her maiden name so would we be responsible to provide a certificate showing a legal name change given that all forms and supporting material use that same married name? We provided photocopies of her passport instead of her birth certificate for this specific reason.

Visa Timeline

09/04/2008 - We met online

02/01/2011 - We became a couple

06/09/2011 - We met for the first time

06/21/2012 - We got engaged

10/26/12 - I-129F Sent

11/1/12 - NOA1

04/23/13 - NOA2

05/16/13 - Consulate Received Package

06/7/13 - Package 3 Sent

6/14/13 - Medical Interview

6/25/13 - Interview Scheduled - APPROVED

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I filled my petition the same way as I did not change my name back as well. Since all of her legal docs show her married name. The divorce decree is all that is really needed as there is no need to show the marriage license which is what allowed the name change. Of course along with all of docs requested for the petition. I even included a copy of my birth certificate, and passport and I did not receive a RFE for it.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...