Halim

What did happen in the US embassy in Algiers ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi

My wife had an interview on September 23 at US embassy in Algiers, and they told her that everything is fine. All what she has to do is to wait for a visa which will be delivered from 10 to 15 days.

However, she did not receive anything. Usually, it takes less than 10 days to get a visa. I hope that the recent events occurred in Libya does not affect the functioning of the Embassy.

It's tough situation because I can not call them, moreover, they didn't respond to my emails. In fact, the Embassy does accept call only from US citizens. Unfortunately, I am permanent resident.

Does anyone here experienced a similar situation, and what were the outcomes ?

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

No,it's because they are severely understaffed right now and processing is backlogged with cases. It took a over 6 weeks for them to reply to my fiance just to schedule an interview, but they finally did just this past week-- so they're working, but it's just taking a lot longer at this time because of understaffing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

No,it's because they are severely understaffed right now and processing is backlogged with cases. It took a over 6 weeks for them to reply to my fiance just to schedule an interview, but they finally did just this past week-- so they're working, but it's just taking a lot longer at this time because of under staffing.

This is correct. I have been working very closely myself with this embassy and they are in fact extremely understaffed. The embassy is working as usual, no problems from Libya or any foreign affair issues. Just a bit more patience on your part and she will have it before you know it. Great news here is... it is any day for you! :star:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi

My wife had an interview on September 23 at US embassy in Algiers, and they told her that everything is fine. All what she has to do is to wait for a visa which will be delivered from 10 to 15 days.

However, she did not receive anything. Usually, it takes less than 10 days to get a visa. I hope that the recent events occurred in Libya does not affect the functioning of the Embassy.

It's tough situation because I can not call them, moreover, they didn't respond to my emails. In fact, the Embassy does accept call only from US citizens. Unfortunately, I am permanent resident.

Does anyone here experienced a similar situation, and what were the outcomes ?

Thank you

Hi,

did youre wife got her passport back with the visa???

just wondering, my parents did there interview arround sept9th, got approved and still didnt get there passport back.

the consulate do not answer our calls or emails.

please advice if you heard from them

Thanks

Timeline

Hi,

did youre wife got her passport back with the visa???

just wondering, my parents did there interview arround sept9th, got approved and still didnt get there passport back.

the consulate do not answer our calls or emails.

please advice if you heard from them

Thanks

The embassy does not use the local mail to return passports with visas. They must be picked up at the UPS location. You might try calling them and seeing if they have it there. If not, approvals may still need to go through AP and can take a while. The embassy will not answer anything regarding AP if it is not past due.

Timeline

The embassy does not use the local mail to return passports with visas. They must be picked up at the UPS location. You might try calling them and seeing if they have it there. If not, approvals may still need to go through AP and can take a while. The embassy will not answer anything regarding AP if it is not past due.

Thanks for youre reply.

yes my parenst know that they have to pick them up from UPS, they have been calling UPS almost everyday since, but nothing.

One detail to you since you seem knowing the consulate very well, maybe it can help you and me understand this crazy situation.

My mother got approved right away ( by the councelor), and my dad was told he is on AP...what is strange since its only a tourist visa, i have a green card and my husband is a US citizens..( knowing they already did a background check on me before allowing me in the US, how come it is so difficult for my dad).

Anyways, my parents were given a UPS slip and an other document saying its all good and my dad was told that only for him its going take longer ( up to 8 weeks) but since he knew about my wedding they are going try make it faster ( what i doubt).

a month later , nothing, i sent an email to the embassy, and no response, my mother even went back to the consulate and spoke to somebody there, that contacted the office and was told that her passport will be ready in TWO DAYS. Crazy as it is almost two weeks later..she havent heard from them. she contacted UPS..and always nothing.

can somebody explain me this situation now?

My wedding is in a week here in the US, and we have been trying contact the Algiers consulate so many times....They seem so busy at answering our emails, but not that busy to up date there status on Face book...

:-(

Edited by Moonlight2011

Timeline

Thanks for youre reply.

yes my parenst know that they have to pick them up from UPS, they have been calling UPS almost everyday since, but nothing.

One detail to you since you seem knowing the consulate very well, maybe it can help you and me understand this crazy situation.

My mother got approved right away ( by the councelor), and my dad was told he is on AP...what is strange since its only a tourist visa, i have a green card and my husband is a US citizens..( knowing they already did a background check on me before allowing me in the US, how come it is so difficult for my dad).

Anyways, my parents were given a UPS slip and an other document saying its all good and my dad was told that only for him its going take longer ( up to 8 weeks) but since he knew about my wedding they are going try make it faster ( what i doubt).

a month later , nothing, i sent an email to the embassy, and no response, my mother even went back to the consulate and spoke to somebody there, that contacted the office and was told that her passport will be ready in TWO DAYS. Crazy as it is almost two weeks later..she havent heard from them. she contacted UPS..and always nothing.

can somebody explain me this situation now?

My wedding is in a week here in the US, and we have been trying contact the Algiers consulate so many times....They seem so busy at answering our emails, but not that busy to up date there status on Face book...

:-(

First, call the DOS and ask for the status of both. They will tell you if the visa has been issued yet (Takes about a week for UPS to receive after it is issued) or not and if your dad is still in AP or approved, or if also issued. Once you have this information, I would email the embassy with the subject line something like this... Case #ALGXXXXXXXXXX - URGENT: Attention required before Wedding date - or something along those lines. Send it ASAP. If you do it through Outlook you can mark it as High Priority and tag it so you get a "read receipt". That way you know they have seen it. There is no guarantee they will answer, however they were more responsive with mine when I let them know there was urgency involved.

If they still do not answer, I would have your husband call (since he is the USC) and tell them he needs to speak to a live body in the consular section. They will tell him they cannot transfer him, but if he is insistent and lets them know you were promised something that isn't happening - they will put you through. I recommend this only as a last resort though because this is not their standard operation and it may not sit well with them. To my situation it was the only option to get my situation fixed.

I hope this was helpful, I wish you the best getting it fixed, and with the wedding! Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything else you may need! :star:

Timeline

First, call the DOS and ask for the status of both. They will tell you if the visa has been issued yet (Takes about a week for UPS to receive after it is issued) or not and if your dad is still in AP or approved, or if also issued. Once you have this information, I would email the embassy with the subject line something like this... Case #ALGXXXXXXXXXX - URGENT: Attention required before Wedding date - or something along those lines. Send it ASAP. If you do it through Outlook you can mark it as High Priority and tag it so you get a "read receipt". That way you know they have seen it. There is no guarantee they will answer, however they were more responsive with mine when I let them know there was urgency involved.

If they still do not answer, I would have your husband call (since he is the USC) and tell them he needs to speak to a live body in the consular section. They will tell him they cannot transfer him, but if he is insistent and lets them know you were promised something that isn't happening - they will put you through. I recommend this only as a last resort though because this is not their standard operation and it may not sit well with them. To my situation it was the only option to get my situation fixed.

I hope this was helpful, I wish you the best getting it fixed, and with the wedding! Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything else you may need! :star:

Hi thanks for youre help.

well we tried to call the DOS thise morning, as crasy as it seems ,when my husband finally got in the phone with an operator and explained the situation, she told him he need to put my mother on conference call since she is the one applying..he told her she doenst speka a very good english , she said its fien but she has to call..Weird.

we also tried to call the US citizens number, and the guy was very rude to my husband saying if its not an emergency regarding him, he cant help or transfer him. my husband got very up set..and after a moment of trying to talk to this guy, he just hang up on us ..with no notice.

we will try tomorrow with the DOS, do you have a number that you know goes directly to the non immigrant visa section?

Thanks for ure time

Timeline

Hi thanks for youre help.

well we tried to call the DOS thise morning, as crasy as it seems ,when my husband finally got in the phone with an operator and explained the situation, she told him he need to put my mother on conference call since she is the one applying..he told her she doenst speka a very good english , she said its fien but she has to call..Weird.

we also tried to call the US citizens number, and the guy was very rude to my husband saying if its not an emergency regarding him, he cant help or transfer him. my husband got very up set..and after a moment of trying to talk to this guy, he just hang up on us ..with no notice.

we will try tomorrow with the DOS, do you have a number that you know goes directly to the non immigrant visa section?

Thanks for ure time

I would not have had your husband call the emergency line as it is not an emergency and as you saw, just frustrated everyone involved. When calling it is always best to just call the main line, choose 1 for English, then 0 for an attendant. This puts you at the general switchboard, not an emergency line.

As for the DOS, I have only ever called the main line so I do not have a specific number for anything else, sorry. If they want your mother on the line you will need to find a way to conference her in - that way her permission is there but your fiance can help with the translation. If not - maybe you could conference in with her and the agent. I had to do something similar to this years ago on a completely different immigration issue. I hope you are able to get some answers soon, and your wedding goes beautifully!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.