Shawn and Strata

Montreal Frustrations - Post interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

More venting than anything, but whatever you do... if you have a Montreal interview, make sure that you have all the paperwork you could possibly need.

They asked for additional paperwork from us.. we sent it in. The interviewer told me that everything was great, and all I needed to do was send in the one thing (Taxes,) and it would be done. Sent that in with my passport.

That was 4 weeks ago. I sent them 3.5 weeks ago. I've heard nothing at all from Montreal since then, they wouldn't even reply to say if they've gotten the package.

So I'm calling the DoS daily, and being told that they're processing it. They've reviewed it. They're reviewing it. etc etc. For 3 weeks, and still nothing back.

The worst part is that we are pretty much in limbo now.. We can't do anything yet, and can't even visit because they have my passport. I'm scared to ask for it back, since I can just imagine how slow they'll be when they ask for it the next time, and the not hearing anything at all is driving me nuts!!!

We've contacted our senators and congressman now, so hopefully that helps to speed things up.. But this process, at the final stage, is ridiculous.

Just a venting message, in hopes that someone reads this and realizes they aren't the only one, and that Montreal is slower than Quebecois molasses in February!

whatever you do, don't ask for that passport back without that visa attached!

hopefully your congress rep will hurry them along to put their hands on it. normally that's what it takes to get them to the mail room :)

Timeline

My lawyer explained it to me this way;

The consulate gets TONS of mail everyday and it's sent to an off site processing place. There, it goes through security checks and after that's done, it's delivered to the consulate. From there it is separated in their mailroom and finally it's delivered to the appropriate person. But of course, that person has other mail,correspondence,etc to go through so your newly arrived mail goes into the queue. So even if you see it's been delivered on a certain date, as you probably know by now, it doesn't get looked at for a while.

Good for you that you've contacted your senator's office, hopefully they'll be able to get results for y'all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

More venting than anything, but whatever you do... if you have a Montreal interview, make sure that you have all the paperwork you could possibly need.

They asked for additional paperwork from us.. we sent it in. The interviewer told me that everything was great, and all I needed to do was send in the one thing (Taxes,) and it would be done. Sent that in with my passport.

That was 4 weeks ago. I sent them 3.5 weeks ago. I've heard nothing at all from Montreal since then, they wouldn't even reply to say if they've gotten the package.

So I'm calling the DoS daily, and being told that they're processing it. They've reviewed it. They're reviewing it. etc etc. For 3 weeks, and still nothing back.

The worst part is that we are pretty much in limbo now.. We can't do anything yet, and can't even visit because they have my passport. I'm scared to ask for it back, since I can just imagine how slow they'll be when they ask for it the next time, and the not hearing anything at all is driving me nuts!!!

We've contacted our senators and congressman now, so hopefully that helps to speed things up.. But this process, at the final stage, is ridiculous.

Just a venting message, in hopes that someone reads this and realizes they aren't the only one, and that Montreal is slower than Quebecois molasses in February!

What do you mean by taxes ? The US petitioner'taxes or the canadian beneficiary ? Wichever how many years they were asking for ? Also can you be specific about all the paperwork they were asking for besides what is already listed in packet 4 ? Thank in advance and wishing you get your visa really soon ;)

Timeline

We had a RFE from Montreal in May, they were requiring my husband(the beneficiary) to resign his job in order for me(the petitioner) to prove domicile, we couldn't afford for him to be out of work indefinitely with no guarantee of a visa so we contacted my congressman back in the US and sent in some other documents that they then accepted as good enough to approve the visa. They accepted these documents as email attachments from my congressman's office and then we mailed in my husbands passport. I mailed the passport in on the 9/11 and had it back in our hands on 9/19 with a visa in it.

I have no doubt that having the congressman's office involved got my husbands visa approved with documents that they normally wouldn't have accepted from me and got us our visa WAY faster. Definitely contact a senator or congressperson. I was crazy surprised with the results.

Good luck!

Timeline

Ok.. WOW.

Contacted our congressman last Thursday. They got back to us yesterday morning. Did our daily call to DoS yesterday, and they told me that the Visa had been issued!

Now to see how fast it gets sent to us :)

Timeline

Yay congrats!

Edit// What documents were you missing? I don't want to miss anything as my interview is this week.

We didn't have all our tax documents, because our I-865 was filled out before they were in. So they asked for the ones that had come out after it was submitted etc.

Regardless, get your elected representative involved if there's hang-ups with your process!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I'd love to know more. My fiance only sent me his W2s and although we've ordered IRS documents, they haven't come yet. My interview is on Tuesday and I doubt they will come in time. He just logged into his e-file and sent me forms 1099 and 1040 among some other pages that were all in one pdf. Is this sufficient?

Timeline

Hi, I'd love to know more. My fiance only sent me his W2s and although we've ordered IRS documents, they haven't come yet. My interview is on Tuesday and I doubt they will come in time. He just logged into his e-file and sent me forms 1099 and 1040 among some other pages that were all in one pdf. Is this sufficient?

W2's were sufficient for us, we didn't have transcripts.

Timeline

Follow-up:

Our congressman called on October 2nd. We were told by DoS when I called, that "Your visa has just been issued."

Oct 3, I wrote to Montreal asking for an update, and received a reply to contact the CSC Visa Information etc (ie: Loomis,) but not any waybill. Contacted them, they said to contact Montreal. This went back and forth a little bit, until last night, around 8pm Montreal time I received my letter from Loomis with waybill :) Tracking my visa and passport now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.