TJandJR

just starting and have a few questions

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm in the US (citizen) and my fiance is in Lagos Nigeria. I'm gathering documents I need for the I 29 petition. So, if my petition for a fiance visa is approved the next step is my fiance (Julius) will be notified and given an interview date, if I understand correctly. Couple of questions... I read that he will have to provide original documents of the documents I sent in my petition. I'm a bit scared to mail original documents to Lagos. Everything takes so long to get there and half the things I have ever mailed there never arrived. I'm wondering if I should start to mail him things now so he will have them in time but omg! what if originals get lost in the mail? Also I read that it takes a long time to get the police report and fingerprits done over there and he has to track down a copy of his birth certificate. Should he start doing those things now? I should have his signed letter of intent (he's mailing it to me to include in my I-29. Can he electronically send me a photo of the signed letter instead?)soon. I plan to mail my petition about the second week of October. I'm sorry I asked so many questions, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I don't want to make an error.

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm in the US (citizen) and my fiance is in Lagos Nigeria. I'm gathering documents I need for the I 29 petition. So, if my petition for a fiance visa is approved the next step is my fiance (Julius) will be notified and given an interview date, if I understand correctly. Couple of questions... I read that he will have to provide original documents of the documents I sent in my petition. I'm a bit scared to mail original documents to Lagos. Everything takes so long to get there and half the things I have ever mailed there never arrived. I'm wondering if I should start to mail him things now so he will have them in time but omg! what if originals get lost in the mail? Also I read that it takes a long time to get the police report and fingerprits done over there and he has to track down a copy of his birth certificate. Should he start doing those things now? I should have his signed letter of intent (he's mailing it to me to include in my I-29. Can he electronically send me a photo of the signed letter instead?)soon. I plan to mail my petition about the second week of October. I'm sorry I asked so many questions, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I don't want to make an error.

FIrst things first, relax your mind and take it easy. There were many before us and many including myself going through the process, so you're in good company. You can do this.

My opinion and my journey was to start from the end and work backwards. So start from the interview, read the forms and start preparing the documents that you will need.

Yes he will need a police report from every country he has lived in since 16 years of age. In Nigeria he can get this in Lagos (Alagbon which is the Federal seat of our "national police force" headquarters) some have reported costs from N2,000 (very doubtful) to N5,000. Don't get the report just yet, wait until he has his interview letter from the Embassy since it has an expiration date.

Regarding shipping, I have had 100% success rate from using USPS. Cost for a ~20# package is $60. I keep hearing about all this lost packages but I have never experienced it. If delivery is of paramount importance then you can go UPS/DHL/FedEx, cost will be much much higher.

Looking back at it now, I would just send money via Western Union, so that my Fiancee could have purchased those things in Nigeria. If you're lucky and have your petition sent to the California Service Center, you could be picking Julius up from a US airport by February/March 2013 so no ned for care packages as much but that's up to you.

You're going to have to get over your fear of shipping since there's no other way except if you go yourself or send it through family/friends.

Some documents like letter of intent will need his original signature and your I-134 down the line will need your original signature.

Like I said there are many of us going through this and information flows freely.

Do you know about frontloading yet?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Just want to add to the already given advice that I also suggest front loading your petition.

He can get working on his birth certificate now and bring the original to the interview. The police certificate will expire so wait on that as the other poster suggested.

I would go with the original signed letter of intent versus a scanned copy.

How many times have you visited your fiance ? If just once I advice you to go again and/or be present during the interview. You can then hand carry the originals besides satisfying Lagos' unspoken frequent visit requirements. It is not easy getting approved through Lagos for a K1, especially if you have not visited often or there is an age difference.

I disagree with February/March 2013 and estimate his arrival if approved and not put into AP to be around July/August 2013. Probably 4-6 months for USCIS approval, then NVC an additional month and Lagos usually runs 1-2 (I have seen 1-4) months for interview appointments, which varies.

Many K1's have been returned so ask a lot of questions here and read and absorb what others have to offer in advice and by their personal experiences.

Frequent visits of considerable duration with him and his family are gold !

Different people use different shipping methods, I would prefer DHL. I also have had bad experience with USPS. So, it's a toss up, for some it works for others it doesn't. I rather pay more and be safe or deliver it in person.

Best wishes for a smooth visa journey.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

What is front loading? Enlighten me, please. I have visited only once. Stayed with him 5 weeks. I can not afford another visit as I barely meet the income requirements and saving all my money for these visa (and beyond) expenses, and help on part of his ticket here. Surely there is someone approved that has only visited once??? We have tons of cell records, emails, spanning over 2 years. My visit was a year ago. And thanks for telling me to relax my mind, I'm in good hands. I needed to hear that.

What is front loading? Enlighten me, please. I have visited only once. Stayed with him 5 weeks. I can not afford another visit as I barely meet the income requirements and saving all my money for these visa (and beyond) expenses, and help on part of his ticket here. Surely there is someone approved that has only visited once??? We have tons of cell records, emails, spanning over 2 years. My visit was a year ago. And thanks for telling me to relax my mind, I'm in good hands. I needed to hear that.

Traditionally, but not written in stone, you're going to need more than one visit. "I" think a visit per year is prudent during the process. This is an expensive journey so you both should ramp up. Julius should be abel to get some costs covered in Nigeria though I do not know his financial situation. He will need to get an official birth certificate, medical screening, optional vaccinations and police report. One thing I found out is that once people on the ground thinks he has someone in the USA his prices goes up so have him be watchful of that. Some, not all, think we as USC are just living it up here with money up the wazoo.

Frontloading: Nigeria is an alleged highly fraudulent country with a lot of romance scams (for the purpose of this discussion). Additionally, some are of the opinion (Gowon is one of them) that the CO in Lagos woudl have had plenty of time to fondle your application before the actual interview date, and thus may have made up his mind. SO you want to make sure that the documents that you initially submitted are very powerful, by content and not necessarily poundage. So while a UK/Canada petition may need couple of pictures in front of Big Ben, a Nigerian petition should have a lot of pictures which includes pictures of both actors in Nigeria, both actors with friends, families, on different days, in different places, etc

A UK/Canada person may need to show a couple pages of telephone bills but a Nigerian petition would be best served including ALL months of phone bills to show an ongoing relationship. Some say a page or two per month but Gowon sent all pages though printed back and forth to save page, the CO does not have to read it but they are there if he chose to.

So in a nutshell, for Nigeria be verbose in your evidence and include lot's of evidence from the very beginning via the 129F. You may not get the chance to give the CO additional evidences during the interview apart from the forms.

On the timeline I still maintain my original calculation. If you submitted this month and you're lucky to go to CSC, then you'll get NOA2 by 90 days = Dec 2012, you should have interview in 2 months at the latest = February 2013. Gowons petition got to Lagos in less than 5 months after I mailed my 129F.

But let's get your 129F prepared first laughing.gif

PS: Don't be discouraged, K1s are being approved and resoundingly well too. A recent example http://www.visajourn...approved-today/

PPS: I saw you stayed 5 weeks, this is good but IMHO this is still a trip. Yes there was an approval I think last week from Nigeria with someone who visited only once = http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/390292-visa-approved/

Thankfully you've found VJ, you're indeed in safe hands. Please verify anything I write, I tend to look at glass as almost full instead of almost empty. If you follow the directions and try not to be creative then you'll be fine.

Edited by Gowon

Timeline

We planned for him to visit in April this year. We filed everything and he had an interview date but I was laid off work for 4 months then promised I could return to work in April. I travel all over the US with my coworkers. No way he could accompany me. And I only had unemployment income those 4 months...so we canceled the interview and trip. Forfeited money spent on fees. There's no way my job would let me off to go visit him again. Should I write a letter explaining that??

I know all about the romance scams and internet scams. We are the real deal. I'm not nieve about that stuff. We are genuine. Soul mates. Best friends. Lovers. Oh.... I miss him so much. You have me worried about the one visit only.

We planned for him to visit in April this year. We filed everything and he had an interview date but I was laid off work for 4 months then promised I could return to work in April. I travel all over the US with my coworkers. No way he could accompany me. And I only had unemployment income those 4 months...so we canceled the interview and trip. Forfeited money spent on fees. There's no way my job would let me off to go visit him again. Should I write a letter explaining that??

I know all about the romance scams and internet scams. We are the real deal. I'm not nieve about that stuff. We are genuine. Soul mates. Best friends. Lovers. Oh.... I miss him so much. You have me worried about the one visit only.

You shouldn't be worried but just be prepared. Did you see the link about the one visit petitioner that was approved? The guideline is indeed at least once in the two year period prior to filing so you DO meet that requirement, right?

It's also allegedly (I always use alleged until I have personal experience) difficult for a tourist visa to be issued in Nigeria especially to a beneficiary of an applicant with immigrant intent.

The letter of explanation for the trip cancelation will not work to overcome a once in 2 year meet, if that's the case. The letter can be tendered at interview if CO asks Julius why you've only met him once, not sure of the value but you should still send it just in case. In my case I many not be able to go with my Fiancee to her interview next month so I sent all sorts of prefiled forms to her just in case they ask for it, just an example.

So was the 5 week trip in the last two years?

PS: I didn't mean to suggest that you weren't a committed couple.

Timeline

I visited July 28 2011 thru Sep 2 2011. So it's been just a year. I want to start everything before much more time passes. We talk almost everyday on the phone. I can't stand this separation. It hurts. But I guess you know how it feels, also.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have known my fiance for a while but in the past 2 years we have only seen each other once and so far we have had out petition approved just waiting interview.

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just make sure you thought of anything about your relationship that someone may consider a red flag and be prepared to address it ( we all have it) because of how things are in Nigeria.

I know already received responses from someone people but here is my 2 cents.

1) Right now all your husband needs to do is send you the letter of intent signed and G-325. You will include that with your application. You application should as include as much proof as possible that you are in a bona fide relationship, this is where you will hear the term front loading ( I think I included 25-30 pics of us, with friends, then chat conversations, phone logs etc. This part of the application will probably take around 5-6 months consider yourself lucky if it gets done faster.

2) once you have received the petition approval that when your fiance can start his part ( medical, police clearance, etc) Noe if your fiance doesn't already have this stuff while you all are waiting during the 5 months he can get a passport & his birth certificate. Also you don't need to mail anything to your fiance until this phase.

3) you mentioned that you are barely meeting the finanical requirements so you may want to look into a co sponsor if you think that will be an issue for you guys.

So for right now just working about the first phase ( filling out the application and providing as much proof as possible. Along with the proper forms). You will have a lot of waiting time to worry about about the second part. I dont know if you have but there is K1 visa guide you can reference, just remember that your have to show more proof because of the country you will be dealing with.

Timeline

Thanks. Good advice. There are many helpful people and references on this site. I thank God for guiding me here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

The 5 weeks length of your stay is in your favor. An explanation letter from your place of employment that you can not take anymore time off

would be good too, front loaded.

I still maintain that you do everything to try to visit again, even if it is for one week only. If you don't you take a chance of

having your petition returned which means starting all over again which would be more expensive than another trip. It's a chance you take.

There are no guarantees.

By the time you get to the interview it will be almost 2 years you didn't visit, it's too long in my opinion and you are taking a big risk.

Some were approved with only one visit. Many were returned and had to start over. Sorry to be the bearer of not so happy news but I rather you make an informed decision than be disappointed with the outcome. If you read my signature you can see the hell we have been through, even with several trips

at a supposed "easier" consulate.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

I visited July 28 2011 thru Sep 2 2011. So it's been just a year. I want to start everything before much more time passes. We talk almost everyday on the phone. I can't stand this separation. It hurts. But I guess you know how it feels, also.

Yeah it's a toughie, earlier on in the process I considered moving her to Mexico and I temporarily work out of my San Diego office during the process so I can see her on weekends - the time starts making you think of crazy schemes rofl.gif

Edited by Gowon

Timeline

How do you access and print out chats... Like from yahoo messenger or nimbuzz? How do you get phone texts printed out?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can print out your phone bill through your phone carrier. Mine is sprint so i just printes off bills from different months, its has all my call logs and shows how many international texts I was charged.

I dont know what nimbuzz is but with yahoo, they are different methods.

What I did clicked on his name as if we were about to start a convo then in that box I clicked the timestamp or archive which allowed me to go through months of chats, so you can click on a particular days convo and hit print or even save, its prints ina textrich format. Some people do screen shots too. Just play around with the features on there and you will figure it out

You may want to start using something like Rebtel if you use phone cards currently.

Also that timeline of 90 days through USCIS is VERY optimistic, especially considering the slow down for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year. USCIS, NVC, and the embassy virtually come to a halt during the holiday season (mid-Nov-Jan). I guess they want to go home to be with their families too. So depending on the type of person that you are, it may be better to be realistic (i.e., expecting the worst) and be grateful when the best happens!!!

Best wishes on your journey!!!

Edited by yeppers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.