chrismanilyn

Latent Tuberculosis- K2 Visa

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just informational post:

After receiving my (now) step daughter's (3 yr old) K2 visa from the US Embassy in Manila, I notice under the annotation section "Med Class: B2"

This annotation meant that they concluded she had latent TB, because the results of her medical at St Lukes was a positive TB skin test and a negative X-ray. That designation meant that she was allowed to travel into the US without treatment, but needed to be counseled by the local health department to determine if treatment was necessary.

After entering in Guam and clearing immigration, the official gave us a package that we were to give to the customs agent in Hawaii. No mention was made of the packet or latent TB. In Hawaii, we gave the package to an official and he just said "that's all you need to do"...again no mention of what was in the package or latent TB. Come to find out, that package was for the "Med Class: B2" and ultimately arrived at my local health department.

We were notified last week (2 months after in country) by the local health department that we needed to come in for a consultation "related to her medical screening for the visa". The result of the consultation is that my step daughter has to take the INH TB medicine as a preventative precaution, even though they cannot definitively conclude she has latent TB. In fact, the doctor noted that it's likely that she tested positive on the skin test due to the BCG shot (TB immunization) she got when she was 3 months old. The medicine is to be taken for 9 months and we are to visit the HD monthly to ensure there are no side effects.

I'll post once we complete the program, but thought someone might find this useful. If anyone wants to contact me privately to ask further questions/info, please feel free.

Filed: Timeline

i assumed your child need to complete his/her immunization..usually children here in the USA takes shot (time to time and depend on their age) until they're completed the immunization record...they cannot even admitted in school without the immunization record..so please don't lost that yellow immunization record that your doctor/clinic will give you...keep that in safe place :thumbs:

also, usually people who come from 3 world country are positive in skin(TB SHOT). but not thru xray. so that's normal. (up to now i'm still positive in skin...but never been put in any medication)

goodluck

Edited by Fight for Love

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

My SO had gone thought the process after we found out she may have had LTBI after a skin test for a job requirement. Yes it's true that, even though they cannot definitively conclude she has LTBI via the Mantoux method, it is CDC stand,

"Test all people who are high risk, regardless of BCG history.

Tests for TB infection are not contraindicated for persons who have been vaccinated with

BCG. A history of BCG vaccination should not be considered when deciding whether to

test and determining whether the test result is positive in high-risk individuals

Although BCG vaccination can cause a false positive cross-reaction to the TST (especially

within the first 12 months after vaccination), sensitivity to tuberculin is highly variable

and tends to decrease over time. (Wear off) There is no way to distinguish between a positive

reaction due to BCG-induced sensitivity and a positive reaction due to true LTBI.

Therefore, a positive reaction to the TST in BCG-vaccinated persons should be interpreted as indicating infection with M. tuberculosis when the person tested is at increased risk of

recent infection or has a medical condition that increases the risk of progression to activeTB disease."

The treatment from your local health department is free if you go that rout, like you mentioned above 9 months, for my wife treatment was one tab a-day of Isoniazid 9 mo. The good thing is you found out now and not later when it could turn, TB infection! Children are highly susceptible to tuberculosis and the power to resist TB infection is normally poor in the first 5 years of life.

Treatment: http://www.cdc.gov/t...ent/default.htm

BCG: http://www.cdc.gov/t...nes/default.htm

Good Luck :thumbs:

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My daughter now who upon arrival with my wife (K1, K2) visa holder was also noted as B2 classification and had to report to department of health 2 weeks upon arrival in the US (Cali). She went through another Xray and they did not see anything so the Physician advised as to do a blood test which would conclude whether she negative or positive for TB. They did a test called QuantiFeron. I don't know the test is age specific but you should ask if they can do the test via blood test that way the results are more accurate.

Fortunately the test was negative so thank God she did not need any medication.

Well good luck.

My daughter now who upon arrival with my wife (K1, K2) visa holder was also noted as B2 classification and had to report to department of health 2 weeks upon arrival in the US (Cali). She went through another Xray and they did not see anything so the Physician advised as to do a blood test which would conclude whether she negative or positive for TB. They did a test called QuantiFeron. I don't know the test is age specific but you should ask if they can do the test via blood test that way the results are more accurate.

Fortunately the test was negative so thank God she did not need any medication.

Well good luck.

QuantiFERON-TB Gold is a blood base test, so long as you have blood!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.