macadamias

W2 for self-employed?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys its me again, I was talking to Kinkyara about our papers cause we have a similar case, although she is done with her interview and has gotten approved. :thumbs:

The thing is, my fiancees father who he currently lives with, is self-employed and my fiancees mom arranged the forms, she only sent me the 1040 and not the w2 although I did ask for it.

Prior to asking here, I did some research and found out some people saying that you cant have w2 for self-employed. Is that true? Is 1040 enough or is the W2 stronger?

By the way the 1040 I have right now states Form 1040 US Individual Income Tax Return shows $28k+ for 3 people (includes me), its for the dad, the mom and me since my fiancee and his sister arent financially dependent on them anymore. Is this ok?

Hoping for some clarification, thank you very very much in advance.

-anne :dance:

Edited by macadamias

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys its me again, I was talking to Kinkyara about our papers cause we have a similar case, although she is done with her interview and has gotten approved. :thumbs:

The thing is, my fiancees father who he currently lives with, is self-employed and my fiancees mom arranged the forms, she only sent me the 1040 and not the w2 although I did ask for it.

Prior to asking here, I did some research and found out some people saying that you cant have w2 for self-employed. Is that true? Is 1040 enough or is the W2 stronger?

By the way the 1040 I have right now states Form 1040 US Individual Income Tax Return shows $28k+ for 3 people (includes me), its for the dad, the mom and me since my fiancee and his sister arent financially dependent on them anymore. Is this ok?

Hoping for some clarification, thank you very very much in advance.

-anne :dance:

My fiance is self-employed also and he only sent me his income tax return for 2010 and 2011.

It is true self-employed do not get W2s. He might have a 1099 form. These forms show taxable income. The 1040 itself is the form used to file taxes. The 1040 is certainly needed as it shows taxes were filed and all income for that year. Tax transcripts can substitute if a 1040 was missing. Ask about a 1099. He may or may not have one.

By the way the 1040 I have right now states Form 1040 US Individual Income Tax Return shows $28k+ for 3 people (includes me), its for the dad, the mom and me since my fiancee and his sister arent financially dependent on them anymore. Is this ok? $28K+ is fine for 3 people.

Poverty Guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone who is self-employed wouldn't typically have a W2, that is a tax document issued for employees from a company.

You'll need his most recent tax return (you can also order for free a tax transcript from the IRS, and this is preferable as it's not nearly as big as the full tax return, but will be accepted just fine).

I'm self employed, so I sent my fiancé my last 3 years of Tax Transcripts form the IRS.

We passed with no problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.