DeadPoolX

Question about graduate school in Canada

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, it's good to know that PR status won't get me kicked out of the university or give me any problems with my PhD program. It's too bad the U.S. isn't as lenient when it comes to student visas and permanent residents...

Okay, here's the plan we have set out for the future. If this can't be done, then someone, please say so. As it stands right now, this is what we're thinking about doing:

• For me to to arrive in Canada on a student permit, and attend a university in order to receive my PhD.
  • For us to get married.
  • For me to file for Canadian PR (she'll probably have to sponsor me, as I think that's how it's done).
  • Then we file for DCF.
  • After the DCF goes through and is processed, we move back down to the U.S.

So we aren't intending on living in Canada any longer than the full term of my PhD. As I wrote before, two of the states we're particularly interested in are California and Oregon (although we're not absolutely ruling out other states), as those two states would allow us to be somewhere in between both of our families in terms of distance.

So do we have a good plan and is everything possible to do, or should we re-evaluate and come up with something else? :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

that sounds plausible, but if you have no intention of staying in Canada why get Canadian PR? You can be on a student visa for the entire lenght of grad school.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline
that sounds plausible, but if you have no intention of staying in Canada why get Canadian PR? You can be on a student visa for the entire lenght of grad school.

Well, the only reason I'd get Canadian PR is because I thought that in order to file for DCF, I needed to be a permanent resident of Canada. If this is incorrect, and I can file for DCF while on a student permit in Canada, then that works out even better.

We'd like to DCF and only do the IR1/CR1 if we absolutely have to do so.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ah...okay. :)

Thanks. We might go that way then.

So let me get something straight: We CAN apply for DCF while I'm on a student permit in Canada; in addition, once PR status goes through, my student status is revoked....or I can still attend my university? I ask, because I'm unsure.

I'm pretty sure that in the U.S., if you become a permanent resident while a student, your student visa is cancelled. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this isn't the case in Canada, but I'd like to be sure. I'd really rather not be taken by surprise. ;)

hi, did you read the thread that Cassie offered?

I personally believe that you would be able to file in Canada after living there for an extended period of time, regardless of visa type. But, the only people who can give you that answer are the staff at the Consular Section of your choice in Canada.

But it's a bit of a so-what. If you are living there, going to school and not about to run off, simply file your I-130 wherever they allow you to. You'll be living together there, so who cares how long the I-130 takes as long as you allow enough time.

By the time you want to return, who knows what guidelines or rules will be in place? The Consulates in Canada (possibly illegally) would not even accept I-130s from USCs who had been genuinely resident there for ages.. they could stop again.

I don't understand your concern about the US student visa thing.. Yes, a student visa would be cancelled if the holder was granted US Permanent Resident status, but so what? PR trumps student and it's not like the person would have to stop going to school. ???

Normally I'd say someone should start a DCF case about 6 months before they want to move. Based on past performance, allow a bit more time for Canada, and a built in buffer in case you have to file in the US (I still don't think you'd have to).

Move to Oregon. We've got lots of crazy people here who need your help. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Actually...our first choice is Oregon. There's something about that state that my fiancee really likes. I can't quite put my finger on it. Whatever it is, if it makes her happy, then I'll go there. I realize moving down to the U.S. is a big move and a major lifestyle adjustment for her, so if I can make it any easier for her by going to a state she seems to like, then I will.

So we may be moving there sometime in the future. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.