Sean and Laura

Sending forms to London consulate before receiving Packet 3?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey VJers --

A quick question. Our K1 petition just passed cleared the NVC on Wednesday and was shipped then (Aug 1) to the London embassy. According to the VJ timeline it can take 3-5 business days for the embassy to receive the packet, and up to another week for them to send "Packet 3".

However I just discovered the London consulate page on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United%20Kingdom&cty=London

(How did I not look at this sooner??) The page explains this about "Packet 3":

Used to be called 'Packet three', cause they send you forms etc through the mail. Now it is just a letter containing a link of where to download all the forms and the IV-15 check-list.

Immigrant visas: http://london.usembassy.gov/ds2001.html

K visas: http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

(The required forms to send back are in the upper right column of the page)

So here's my question -- is there any reason to wait to receive the letter from the embassy before sending in the forms for "Packet 3", or can we jump the gun and send them in as soon as we have them ready and have confirmed that the embassy has received our petition? We already have our case number from NVC...

Curious if anyone's had any personal experience doing this, especially in London.

Cheers!

S.

Edited by Sean and Laura

[u][b]K-1 Visa Application for my Fiancée[/b][/u]
June 21, 2010 - We met for the first time
December 30, 2011 - Engaged!
February 10, 2012 - I-129F petition packet sent to Dallas Lockbox
February 13, 2012 - I-129F petition packet arrived at Dallas Lockbox
February 15, 2012 - NOA 1 - petition received
June 29, 2012 - NOA 2 - petition approved
July 27, 2012 - USCIS officially sent petition to NVC
July 30, 2012 - NVC received petition
August 1, 2012 - NVC assigned case number and petition sent from NVC to consulate
August 11, 2012 - Received "Packet 3" from Embassy
August 28, 2012 - All "Packet 3" documents (including DS2001) sent to Embassy
August 30, 2012 - Medical exam
September 17, 2012 - Date all forms logged as received at embassy according to DOS
September 19, 2012 - DOS gives us interview date over the phone
September 22, 2012 - Appointment letter arrived
October 3, 2012 - Interview at London Embassy
October 3, 2012 - [u][b]APPROVED!!!![/u][/b]
October 10, 2012 - Visa arrived via DX courier
October 25, 2012 - Laura moves to the US / POE at LAX

Hey VJers --

A quick question. Our K1 petition just passed cleared the NVC on Wednesday and was shipped then (Aug 1) to the London embassy. According to the VJ timeline it can take 3-5 business days for the embassy to receive the packet, and up to another week for them to send "Packet 3".

However I just discovered the London consulate page on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United%20Kingdom&cty=London

(How did I not look at this sooner??) The page explains this about "Packet 3":

So here's my question -- is there any reason to wait to receive the letter from the embassy before sending in the forms for "Packet 3", or can we jump the gun and send them in as soon as we have them ready and have confirmed that the embassy has received our petition? We already have our case number from NVC...

Curious if anyone's had any personal experience doing this, especially in London.

Cheers!

S.

Hi! Check out the UK country forum, and namely, the "London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread" here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

This will clarify a lot of the questions you may have. I know photomile on this board did exactly what you're suggesting and sent in the packet three forms before receiving the packet 3 letter and I think everything went OK for him and he was able to get an interview date quickly. Take a look at his timeline, he was able to get things done a lot faster than me lol.

You can also book your medical exam too with the LND number and if you have your police certificate.

Cheers!

S.

Yes, people have done this for years. A call to DOS can confirm London indeed has your case. I think it's jumping the gun when people want to send the forms when their petition is not yet approved, or it hasn't made it to the NVC , or out of the NVC. There is a list if things that can be prepared prior to petition approval in the first post of London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread Let's organize the info/questions into one place. Then once the file makes it to London, you already have your ducks in a row.

The police certificate form is changing on Monday (Aug 6) so be aware of that . I don't think it's posted yet but they are accepting the old form for a few weeks. http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The police certificate form is changing on Monday (Aug 6) so be aware of that . I don't think it's posted yet but they are accepting the old form for a few weeks. http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Wow, that's good to know about the police certificate. Laura sent in her police certificate form last week, so I guess we just beat that deadline.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Once we get everything completed and sorted, and are sure the embassy has received our petition, I think we'll go ahead and send in the forms.

[u][b]K-1 Visa Application for my Fiancée[/b][/u]
June 21, 2010 - We met for the first time
December 30, 2011 - Engaged!
February 10, 2012 - I-129F petition packet sent to Dallas Lockbox
February 13, 2012 - I-129F petition packet arrived at Dallas Lockbox
February 15, 2012 - NOA 1 - petition received
June 29, 2012 - NOA 2 - petition approved
July 27, 2012 - USCIS officially sent petition to NVC
July 30, 2012 - NVC received petition
August 1, 2012 - NVC assigned case number and petition sent from NVC to consulate
August 11, 2012 - Received "Packet 3" from Embassy
August 28, 2012 - All "Packet 3" documents (including DS2001) sent to Embassy
August 30, 2012 - Medical exam
September 17, 2012 - Date all forms logged as received at embassy according to DOS
September 19, 2012 - DOS gives us interview date over the phone
September 22, 2012 - Appointment letter arrived
October 3, 2012 - Interview at London Embassy
October 3, 2012 - [u][b]APPROVED!!!![/u][/b]
October 10, 2012 - Visa arrived via DX courier
October 25, 2012 - Laura moves to the US / POE at LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.