TallCowboy0614

Removal of Conditions for Step-Kids

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi all,

I am STILL searching through the website, but have not yet come across a similar situation (although I find it hard to believe we are alone in this), so I thought I would toss out the situation to y'all.

My wife got her conditional green card two years ago in May. We are now waiting on her 10-year card and going through the ROC process.

The interesting part of the situation is that our two kids (actually my step-kids, her bilogical kids) did not come over from Bolivia until December two years ago. They have Conditional Green Cards that expire in December of this year (2012). They require a separate form I-751 that we will need to file (one for each of them) next month. This is plainly stated in the instructions for Form I-751:

If a conditional resident child received that status more than 90 days after his or her parent, that child must separately file an I-751.

That's fine with us, although we will only grudgingly pay the extra 1200 bucks *sigh*.

However, my question is about supporting documentation. Obviously this will not be the same as we sent for their mother, for whom we had to prove our marriage was valid. I cannot for the life of me figure out for sure what "supporting documentation" and/or bona-fide documentation they need for the kids.

I assume a cover letter describing the situation (Mom was already here and got her green card through a marriage and a change-of-status, the kids came over later through USCIS and the embassy in Bolivia's processes) and photos of the family, along with green card copies for all (mom and the kids as well), and probably birth certificates. Maybe school records too showing they live with us? I am really not sure how in-depth I need to go with it.

Anyone have similar experiences and advice to share?

I suppose too much documentation is better than none, but obviously I don't have to show intermingled finances and the like.

I guess instead of showing "proof" the marriage is "real" like did with Mom, we just need to show they are really related to her (which really SHOULD have already been proved by the documention we supplied USCIS and immigration when we originally petitioned to get the kids over here with the conditional cards.

Any advice? I will keep looking in the forums and online, but so far I really have not found anything specifically like this situation, although as I said, I cannot believe it has not been done a million times before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

hi, we almost have the same case, the difference is my daughter is including in my I-751(step daughter of my husband) anyways u can add there immunization certificate showing that your a guardian of them too, school records will help too, if they are teenagers and have phone then u can print out a copy of your plan showing that u are paying for there phone bills.. school i.d anything that will show u live in the same address.. it depends on their age i think, u know what i mean, if they are like kids u just need a little proof then if teenager u can show much better proof like phone bills, car insurance, driver's license.. i hope this will help u a little :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.