Mike and Adriana

SS Card for Step-Daughter

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello:

I understand that I must get an EAD for my wife (Colombian national coming to the U.S. on a K-3 visa) BEFORE I can apply for and receive a social security card for her. However, what about the daughter? Obviously, at 9 years old, she cannot work (not that I would want her to!). Does she have to wait until her mom gets the EAD? Or can she file right away?

Thanks!

Mike

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Filed: Timeline
Hello:

I understand that I must get an EAD for my wife (Colombian national coming to the U.S. on a K-3 visa) BEFORE I can apply for and receive a social security card for her. However, what about the daughter? Obviously, at 9 years old, she cannot work (not that I would want her to!).

If the child has K-4 status she needs an EAD card to be assigned an SSN. So you either spring for the EAD card or wait until the AOS is approved and the child is issued an I-551 stamp or card. In the meantime, if you need a number to claim the child for tax purposes you can apply to the IRS for an ITIN.

A Form W-7, “Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,” needs to be submitted to receive an ITIN.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

You may also contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You can find additional information on the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the EAD for the child, but I do understand the process of get a ID number for tax purposes.

I guess I should explain my reason for asking. Obviously, I want to get my wife and stepdaughter covered under my medical insurance ASAP. However, the insurance company requires a social security number to get coverage (which I am investigating now further). Has anyone had experience in dealing with insurance companies - coverage for your spouse and his/her children prior to getting a social security number?

Thanks.

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Filed: Timeline

If ineligible to be assigned an SSN, Social Security offices can provide written notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned or a card issued due to the child not having provided authorization to work in the U.S. or evidence of a valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN. That might cut you some slack with your health benefit provider.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.