CutienPurg

credit

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok , so credit seems to be a pretty common theme. SO, I got to thinking.....If anyone knows of specific U.S. companys/banks that will either, allow you to use your Canadian credit, check your Canadian credit report, verify credit with their Canadian affiliates etc , maybe we could gather a list in one running thread. Any info that is available would be good , i.e. web addy, phone number, physical addy etc.

Personally ........I got nothin !!!!! Hence this thread :P ......lolololololol

google.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I am aware, Canadian credit doesn't give you anything in the US!! I looked into this a while back and basically you have to start from scratch. Getting on your fiance's credit card is a good way to start, or open a joint account. :P

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok , so credit seems to be a pretty common theme. SO, I got to thinking.....If anyone knows of specific U.S. companys/banks that will either, allow you to use your Canadian credit, check your Canadian credit report, verify credit with their Canadian affiliates etc , maybe we could gather a list in one running thread. Any info that is available would be good , i.e. web addy, phone number, physical addy etc.

Personally ........I got nothin !!!!! Hence this thread :P ......lolololololol

For the most part Canadian credit does not count for anything. You may find that you have some mixed success with some of the major banks.

The best bit of advise that I was given was to get an American Express card while still in Canada. When you move to the US they will transfer the card and convert the limit. At least this way you will have one card with a reasonable limit that you can then use to build on.

For what it is worth, another good thing to do is to see if you can not get a copy of your driving record as a lot of insurance companies will want to treat you as a new driver and may be reluctant to take your Canadian history into account. However with a copy of the history and the willingness to make a lot of phone calls you should be able to find someone willing to accept it. (I had thought that as I had all state in Canada that all state here would just accept my previous history - I was wrong).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

State farm was able to look into my Canadian driving record with no problems. I was added to my wifes account and I belive it actually went down. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

My good Ontario driving record was useless for getting insurance in New Jersey, even though I paid for an abstract. No one would look at it.

My excellent Canadian credit rating was also useless, even though I paid for a print out. No one would look at it.

The U.S. credit checking companies simply do not have the capacity to check foreign credit ratings. So after 6 months of getting nowhere, I got a secured credit card. Then, I found MBNA, which was willing to check my Canadian history, but only after I persisted.

My advice: if you can get an MBNA while card in Canada, it will be easier to get one in the States.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Timeline

If you have an American Express credit card go to this link and transfer it after you move and get SSN - http://www.americanexpress.com/globaltrans...ansfer_en.shtml

Also, while living in Canada (or visiting the states), you can apply for Nordstrom VISA credit card, I just got mine approved with USA$ 5K limit, I applied online. Apparently they’ve been issuing their credit cards to Canadians living in Canada for years.

http://about.nordstrom.com/aboutus/credit/visa/visa.asp

My advice: if you can get an MBNA while card in Canada, it will be easier to get one in the States.

Thanks for that advice. I'm a persistant little ####### sometimes, so hounding people, and talking to higher ups at MBNA might help when applying for a card. I've had an MBNA card here in Canada for 6 years and they just pre-approved me for a platinum card (which I'm going to take advantage of)...who knows, maybe it'll help.

My biggest problem right now is my fiance has terrible credit, so adding me to his account wouldn't do me any good :lol:

I will be the financial advisor of the family and can't wait to take over his money...uh, I mean Our money :D

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I opened a bank account here with Wells Fargo. I then went into the bank and talked to a real person. They told me that they COULD check my Canadian credit score but to do an international credit check it costs them $140. She said unless I was applying for a mortgage no one was going to fork over that kind of money to check my perfectly good Canadian history.

I ended up lucking out.

After I pointed out to this personal Banker that I had worked for the same company for 18 years, lived in the same home for 11 years, owned my house, had a line of credit, multiple credit cards and owned my car ... she said "let me see what I can do".

She then entered a bunch of things into her computer and "Voila" an approval for a credit card.

I think sometimes it just takes a person with the right access and their head screwed on straight to know what to do in order to get the job done.

Edited by Kelly and Norma

Jan. 18, 2005 ..... I 129F mailed

June 3, 2005 .... Interview success ... we got our visa !!!

July 15, 2005 ..... Kelly moved into our new house

July 29, 2005 ..... Crossed into the USA and got temp.

August 2, 2005 ... Got married in a civil service :-)

October 2005 ... Sent in AOS, EAD and AP for both myself and my son

November 22, 2005 ... Received Biometrics Appointment for AOS

Chicago finally admits they lost all my sons paperwork have to re-file everything of his !!!!

December 17, 2005 ... Biometrics Appointment

April 13, 2006 ... AOS Interview ... told everything looks good but have to wait for the darn name check!!!

Infopass Appointment Oct. 10th - Told to keep on waiting for Name Check

Oct. 10, 2006 ... EAD Renewal and AP Renewal eFiled

November 7, 2006 ... GREEN CARDS ARRIVE !!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the advice on being able to transfer over an Amex card from Canada to the US. Do you suppose it will matter that I have only had it a few months when I have it transferred to a US one as I just applied this week and hopefully will be able to transfer it over early next year?

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Other Timeline

wel, I can't say for sure, but its worth a try. Keep the Canadian AMEX active after you move. Change yoru address so they send your statements to the US, and don't bother applying for any US credit until you have a job.

Also, I received an email this morning that apparently RBC Centura banks in the US will take into account Canadian credit histories, so if there's an RBC near you try there for a credit card. They're all over the place these days.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Thanks for the advice on being able to transfer over an Amex card from Canada to the US. Do you suppose it will matter that I have only had it a few months when I have it transferred to a US one as I just applied this week and hopefully will be able to transfer it over early next year?

It should not matter if you have only had it for a few months.

In my case I had the card in Canada for about a year and had no problems.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In my case I have bad Canadian credit. My ex helped screw me up and being left with 3 kids on my own I never really got it fixed.

This is like a fresh start for me.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is a great thing Christy, and it does't seem to take long to do it there which is a good thing. I myself have just in the last few years regained my good credit from being screwed over as well so that is why I am sad to be losing it.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The only "problem" with getting an MBNA credit card nowadays is that MBNA and Bank of America merged, or rather, Bank of America took over MBNA. I had an MBNA Platinum Plus World Points Visa, and got issued a new Bank of America Platinum Plus World Points Visa recently and was told to destroy the old card.

In fact, starting October 23rd, 2006...you'll have to log into Bank of America's website in order to see your online statement and pay your bill online, as well as redeem points and do other stuff.

So if you're looking to get an MBNA credit card, you might want to rethink that plan of action. I don't know how Bank of America works for Canadians, but that's pretty much what all MBNA cards have turned into or will turn into eventually.

If I'm wrong about this, well...then that's great, but I don't think I am. ;)

Filed: Other Timeline

I have an MBNA America mastercard with Air Canada Aeroplan. They haven't sent me a new card for BoA, but I did get the notice (somewhere) that I can access my account on the BoA website.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.