Brad and Vika

MIL Visa

37 posts in this topic

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're all lazy no-good desk-warmers until you're approved. Then they're the best friend you've ever had. :P

That last bit might be a little strong, but :yes:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 3 weeks later...

MIL is back home. It took 5 days, 4 reticketings, and 2 trips to the airport. The Lufthanza strike, flight delays and cancelations, and weather problems all figured in. Yesterday we waited at the airport for hours until her flight to Newark finally left.

With every change, there was an intervening event that nullified it. Word to the wise, for those of you bringing relatives. Because she had no visa for any country but the US, she could not overnight anywhere if there was a delay en route. Because she spoke little English, she would have been unable to work out issues with tickets either. For example, one change rescheduled her to fly through Heathrow on BA. The flight to Germany from there was delayed, and we were told "don't worry, her ticket will be sorted when she gets to England". I asked how that would happen, as she cannot communicate in English - no answer, just another rebooking on Lufthanza the next day.

The funny thing is, when she got to Kiev she was afraid during the taxi ride from the airport. The driving scared her, and the condition of the taxi was terrible, she told Vika :lol: . Now she is frustrated at the length of time it will take by train to get home to Kherson. FOur years ago she told Vika that a drivers license wasn't necessary.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

MIL is back home. It took 5 days, 4 reticketings, and 2 trips to the airport. The Lufthanza strike, flight delays and cancelations, and weather problems all figured in. Yesterday we waited at the airport for hours until her flight to Newark finally left.

With every change, there was an intervening event that nullified it. Word to the wise, for those of you bringing relatives. Because she had no visa for any country but the US, she could not overnight anywhere if there was a delay en route. Because she spoke little English, she would have been unable to work out issues with tickets either. For example, one change rescheduled her to fly through Heathrow on BA. The flight to Germany from there was delayed, and we were told "don't worry, her ticket will be sorted when she gets to England". I asked how that would happen, as she cannot communicate in English - no answer, just another rebooking on Lufthanza the next day.

The funny thing is, when she got to Kiev she was afraid during the taxi ride from the airport. The driving scared her, and the condition of the taxi was terrible, she told Vika :lol: . Now she is frustrated at the length of time it will take by train to get home to Kherson. FOur years ago she told Vika that a drivers license wasn't necessary.

Are there any flights to Ukraine that don't go through Western Europe? I now absolutely refuse to do any route that isn't SPb>Moscow>New York because I was sick of getting stuck overnight in Europe.

Первый блин комом.

Are there any flights to Ukraine that don't go through Western Europe? I now absolutely refuse to do any route that isn't SPb>Moscow>New York because I was sick of getting stuck overnight in Europe.

I don't know, but would have jumped at a flight through Moscow. I thought about Prague too, as there would at least be Russian speakers there. No dice, because the ticket was Lufthanza. Lesson learned there.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know, but would have jumped at a flight through Moscow. I thought about Prague too, as there would at least be Russian speakers there. No dice, because the ticket was Lufthanza. Lesson learned there.

Buying a ticket that went through Moscow also would have been good because if she misses one flight, there'd be another one soon, probably. Not with the hourly frequency of the SPb<>Moscow shuttle, but quicker than waiting around for a flight to Kiev that might not even be a daily route. Also, Aeroflot has REALLY stepped up their game and is as good or better than as their Western counterparts. Food even on short haul flights, attentive flight attendants, comfy seats, good entertainment options.

Первый блин комом.

Buying a ticket that went through Moscow also would have been good because if she misses one flight, there'd be another one soon, probably. Not with the hourly frequency of the SPb<>Moscow shuttle, but quicker than waiting around for a flight to Kiev that might not even be a daily route. Also, Aeroflot has REALLY stepped up their game and is as good or better than as their Western counterparts. Food even on short haul flights, attentive flight attendants, comfy seats, good entertainment options.

We will keep our collective eye out next time, whenever that is. I think Vika did most of the searching this time, and the Aeroflot tickets were a few hundred more for us. MIL won't be coming back soon, and her dad complained that he was "going to die" before she returned this time, and upset MIL so much she wanted to leave early. He is fine, and FIL did a much better job than she expected keeping house, etc. She says she learned a good lesson, and won't be changing flights next time. I think we should still prepare though, by making sure she flies through Russia, or a country that has Russian speakers or will give her a transit visa overnight. I think that means Czech or Poland.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.