Mark UK

Conditions of temporary EAD

25 posts in this topic

K1 can apply for SSN without the EAD ..i am K1 and I got mine

just present your passport and visa, I-94, birth and marriage certificate..to establish your identity

and reiterate to them that K1 doesn't need to have the EAD for SSN card application according to USCIS and SSA policies..

you know some of their staff/personnel might not informed/oriented well regarding these policies

AOS

10-07-2006- AOS sent to Chicago

10/13/2006- USCIS received AOS

10/20/2006- Received NOA in the mail

10/23/2006- Received Biometrics Appoinment in the mail

10/31/2006- Biometrics Appoinment in Portland, Oregon

11/13/2006- Received Appoinment Letter for Initial Interview

01/03/2007- Initial Interview at Seattle

01/04/2007- Received an email from Cris regarding approval

01/12/2007- Another email from regarding ordering of Green card.

01/12/2007- Recieved Welcome Notice

01/13/2007- Green card arrived...yahoo!

My Son's AOS

11/14/2006- AOS sent to Chicago

11/24/2006- Rejection Notice and AOS package received from Chicago

12/19/2006- AOS re-sent to Chicago

01/03/2007- Received NOA in the mail

01/13/2007- Biometrics appoinment letter

01/16/2007- Biometrics at Portland, Oregon

01/23/2007- Received Appoinment Letter for Initial Interview

01/24/2007- Biometrics done

03/08/2007- Initial Interview at Seattle

03/15/2007- Received Welcome notice

03/18/2007- Green card arrived..yipee!

.png

dev185pb___.png

marmaladeboyyuuembracinpa3.th.jpg

Marizylle,

As a K1 you are employment authorized for your 1st 90 days in the USA. Being employment authorized, you do not have to have an EAD in hand for an employer to hire you, but you do have to apply for an EAD. You must show your employer a receipt for your application within 3 days of beginning work and the EAD itself within 90 days. Same for a SS card.

Talk with LabCorp and see if they share this understanding. Also about what's going to happen when the 90 days runs out, at which point you will need new employment authorization and a new EAD.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Thanks so much for posting this. It led me on a search and was thrilled to find out about the K1 actually being the work authorization (of sorts). Not that I'm doubting you .. but can you point me in the right direction to find an 'official' site detailing the bit I have highlighted above. It may help to have something on paper when speaking with possible employers.

Thanks!

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

I thought I would add my two cents for whatever its worth. Darcy passed through customs on September 29th and received his authorization to work through the Detroit POE. He applied for his SSN # on October 2nd. He was not yet in the SAVE system and had to wait 8 business days to get his SSN #. He went back into the office to get his SSN #. He received his actual SS card 2 weeks after applying for the card. He is now beginning to work on Sunday, October 29th. He can work until December 28th.

We haven't filed the AOS yet because we are trying to save up some money for the ridiculous fees associated with it.

Jen

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: Timeline

Monique,

The instructions attached to Form I-9 say this.

What might be a bit difficult to find is an authoritative source stating explicitly that K1s are employment authorized incident to status. Check some of mdyoung's posts explaining why a K1 is eligible for a SS card - maybe one of the SSA guidelines he often posts have language that would work for you.

Yodrak

Marizylle,

As a K1 you are employment authorized for your 1st 90 days in the USA. Being employment authorized, you do not have to have an EAD in hand for an employer to hire you, but you do have to apply for an EAD. You must show your employer a receipt for your application within 3 days of beginning work and the EAD itself within 90 days. Same for a SS card.

Talk with LabCorp and see if they share this understanding. Also about what's going to happen when the 90 days runs out, at which point you will need new employment authorization and a new EAD.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Thanks so much for posting this. It led me on a search and was thrilled to find out about the K1 actually being the work authorization (of sorts). Not that I'm doubting you .. but can you point me in the right direction to find an 'official' site detailing the bit I have highlighted above. It may help to have something on paper when speaking with possible employers.

Thanks!

Monique

Jen,

Please add this experience to the POE web site, if you haven't already.

http://www.k1poelist.com/

People will be interested to know this.

Yodrak

.... Darcy passed through customs on September 29th and received his authorization to work through the Detroit POE. .....

Jen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
What might be a bit difficult to find is an authoritative source stating explicitly that K1s are employment authorized incident to status. Check some of mdyoung's posts explaining why a K1 is eligible for a SS card - maybe one of the SSA guidelines he often posts have language that would work for you.

Yodrak,

I've been left in confusion since this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....95333&pp=15

"Pursuant to 8 C.F.R. 5 214(d) and 8 C.F,R. § 274a.l2(a)(6), USCIS currently provides employment authorization to K-1 nonimmigrants for duration of status of up to 90 days, upon approval of an application for employment authorization (Form 1,765). Such employment authorization is discretionary in nature and is not mandated by statute.

Employment authorization for K-1 nonimmigrants is not granted automatically incident to status, and once obtained, the employment authorization cannot be extended beyond the 90-day duration of status."

Granted, those are the words of the Ombudsman, not the statute itself. The O-man explains approval via I-765 application, which supports your earlier suggestion.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

meauxna,

I'm stumped also also.

I wonder if MrF could be stimulated to render an opinion on this 'authorized incident to status' issue given this recent pronouncement?

Yodrak

Yodrak,

"Pursuant to 8 C.F.R. 5 214(d) and 8 C.F,R. § 274a.l2(a)(6), USCIS currently provides employment authorization to K-1 nonimmigrants for duration of status of up to 90 days, upon approval of an application for employment authorization (Form 1,765). Such employment authorization is discretionary in nature and is not mandated by statute.

Employment authorization for K-1 nonimmigrants is not granted automatically incident to status, and once obtained, the employment authorization cannot be extended beyond the 90-day duration of status."

Timeline

Yodrak,

I've been unsuccessful at stimulating him myself.

meauxna,

I'm stumped also also.

I wonder if MrF could be stimulated to render an opinion on this 'authorized incident to status' issue given this recent pronouncement?

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

The conflicting information is confusing me as well.

There is an area on the I9 to indicate whether one is "an alien authorized to work until _____" and it would seem that that is the category into which I would fall.

The Social Security link provided by MdYoung https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500 (look under section C) also seems to indicate that no extra paperwork is needed.

But this link to the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inser...b-8cfrsec274a12 (under section 274a.12) seems to indicate that a K-1 needs to apply for the authorization and that it is not guaranteed.

Aarrgghhh. The other acronym I keep seeing is DHS - can someone tell me who the DHS is? And probably most importantly, who is the most important of all the organizations? Should I take the word of the SS offices over USCIS?

I think a little lawyer visit may be necessary here. Hmmm.

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

DHS = Department of Homeland Security. they trump *everyone*.

CIS is a department underneath them--when they broke up INS they made three agencies out of one (google 'legacy INS').

There is the theoretical, and the practical. I believe that if it were me, I could make a case for work auth and get hired, with the info in this thread.

IF (big if) it ever came back on me, I would remember that unauthorized work is routinely forgiven for spouses of US citizens at Adjustment.

Much also depends on the employer and how strict they are about completing their I-9. If a big organization, more likely that they have an ironclad process. If a small company, well, some people don't ever complete an I-9. Form I-9 is the employer's responsibility and they are required to keep them on file at the place of business. The forms are not sent off anywhere.

It's been my observation that atorneys are just as split on this issue as anyone else. I have always seen lawyers say that K-1s are 'employment authorized incident to status', but the O-man seems to be calling this into question.

About that USCIS link,

"must apply to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) for a document evidencing such employment."

I believe that asking for the POE stamp could be considered 'applying' for the EA document & that is how it complied with the law.

And,you can make the application immediately at tnety, as Yodrak suggests above. That, and form I-9, may be the answer you're looking for.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Marizylle,

How did things go with LabCorp? Did they accept the arguement that as a K1 you are employment authorized until your I-94 expires, and that being EA you can start working and have 90 days to produce an EAD to show them?

Yodrak

Hi,

JFK is my POE too. Im here in NJ under K1 Visa. I already have a job call in LabCorp, but i am not sure if I am authprized to work. My I-94 reflects only the duration of how long I am allowed to stay in the US.

Would it be possible to go back to JFK and ask the immigration to write the same thing in my I-94?

Do I have to file EAD ahead of AOS? (am not yet married).....

Thank you.

Marizylle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.