Sandman38

step parent adoption

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a US Citizen living in the US who has sole legal and physical custody (child's mother and I entered into a stipulated court order) of my daughter who was born in the Philippines to a Filipino mother, so she has a Filipino birth certificate as well as a CRBA. I am married and would like my current wife to adopt my daughter. Is a step-parent adoption possible and if so, do I need to go through a court in the Philippines first?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

i am in the same situation as u, only that i am a U.s. Permanent resident..how did u go about the court order to have physical custody? did u get a lawyer? I want to get my daughter here as well. does ur daughter have ur last name on her birth cert.?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a US Citizen living in the US who has sole legal and physical custody (child's mother and I entered into a stipulated court order) of my daughter who was born in the Philippines to a Filipino mother, so she has a Filipino birth certificate as well as a CRBA. I am married and would like my current wife to adopt my daughter. Is a step-parent adoption possible and if so, do I need to go through a court in the Philippines first?

Hi Sandman,

I just don't know what is CRBA.

You did'nt put the age of your daughter since if she's still a minor you can petition her as a US Citizen father.No need for your present wife to adopt her,she's automatically her step daughter as well.

Adoption in the Philippines more likely on orphaned children.

See your privileges as a US Citizen so you will understand.

Good luck to you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

grace, do u think i should wait to petition my daughter until i am a US. citzn?...i am a Permanent resdnt now. t.y.

Hi!

Sorry for my delayed response.

You need to verify if your name as a father is recognized in the child's birth certificate.It needs a proof of bonafide father relationship before you can think of petitioning her.

Yes a permanent resident can petition an unmarried children.

Another thing,as I read your other posts learned the story of you not having a favorable relationship with a child's mother.I think this is also very important to have a civil relationship as the child's has the right to choose whether she will like to be with you or with her mother.Although,in my knowledge,a child is always better off with their mother where she grows with than being uprooted by you and be in another environment.But this all depends and case to case basis too.

Sooner you will be in the Philippines,Once you can ascertain that you are legally recognized as a father,hang on to that.First and foremost,it's best to establish first a father relationship to your child,knowing you were not there on her growing years.We have lots of things to cover on your situation,but for now,I wish you luck on seeing your child first personally and hug her.Everything will go smoothly once you will have that father and child feelings soon.

Always pray that things will all be alright and in the right perspective.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.