celtic59

How to complete address part of form for last 3 years?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I will have been a permanent resident by August 2012 and would like to start preparing my form to apply for citizenship. I took a look at it to see what was needed and note you have to put your address for the past 3 years.

We arrived in Aug 2009 from the U.K. (my husband is a USC)and travelled about until

we lived in Nov 2009 to Dec 2009 in Washington state,

Arizona Jan 2010 to Jun 2010,

again travelled until lived in Washington state again (different town)Nov 2010 to Sep 2011

and then to another town in Washington from Sep 2011 to now.

So for the travelling, living out of our car and camping periods,(Aug 2009 to Nov 2009 and Jun 2010 to Nov 2010, what do I give as our address? Officially I gave them my aunt in New York state, so they had something on record but I never actually went there or lived there. I only advised USCIS of our proper address in Nov 2010 as we had finally settled then. I know this is a muddle but can I just put, living in our car and camping or will it look odd? We were hoping to buy a cheap foreclosure but we never did and ended up renting in several places and looking for work.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.

Edited by celtic59

I will have been a permanent resident by August 2012 and would like to start preparing my form to apply for citizenship. I took a look at it to see what was needed and note you have to put your address for the past 3 years.

We arrived in Aug 2009 from the U.K. (my husband is a USC)and travelled about until

we lived in Nov 2009 to Dec 2009 in Washington state,

Arizona Jan 2010 to Jun 2010,

again travelled until lived in Washington state again (different town)Nov 2010 to Sep 2011

and then to another town in Washington from Sep 2011 to now.

So for the travelling, living out of our car and camping periods,(Aug 2009 to Nov 2009 and Jun 2010 to Nov 2010, what do I give as our address? Officially I gave them my aunt in New York state, so they had something on record but I never actually went there or lived there. I only advised USCIS of our proper address in Nov 2010 as we had finally settled then. I know this is a muddle but can I just put, living in our car and camping or will it look odd? We were hoping to buy a cheap foreclosure but we never did and ended up renting in several places and looking for work.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.

Might look odd. Which addresses did you use on your federal and state tax returns (if you filed them), or what is on your driver's license etc.? Since you are applying based on marriage, they will want proof that you and your husband lived together. Proofs are tax returns, bank statements, lease/mortgage payments etc. So you might have some trouble if you just indicate that you camped around and lived in your car.

Timeline

Might look odd. Which addresses did you use on your federal and state tax returns (if you filed them), or what is on your driver's license etc.? Since you are applying based on marriage, they will want proof that you and your husband lived together. Proofs are tax returns, bank statements, lease/mortgage payments etc. So you might have some trouble if you just indicate that you camped around and lived in your car.

Tax return in 2010 we put the address in Arizona as that was where we were in April 2010, April 2011 we were in Washington and put that and April 2012 we are at the address we are in now. My drivers licence I didn't get until Dec 2010 when we lived in Washington. Bank statements were sent to my aunt when we were travelling, she got all our mail.We had no mortgage. So if you had no home then that is just tough luck? I guess I won't apply then.

Tax return in 2010 we put the address in Arizona as that was where we were in April 2010, April 2011 we were in Washington and put that and April 2012 we are at the address we are in now. My drivers licence I didn't get until Dec 2010 when we lived in Washington. Bank statements were sent to my aunt when we were travelling, she got all our mail.We had no mortgage. So if you had no home then that is just tough luck? I guess I won't apply then.

Owning a home is not a requirement for citizenship. Look at the following checklist and see which documents you can produce: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

Timeline

Owning a home is not a requirement for citizenship. Look at the following checklist and see which documents you can produce: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

I know you don't need to own a home, my problem is having no actual address for a few months as we travelled. I don't know what to put down in the address part of the form.

I know you don't need to own a home, my problem is having no actual address for a few months as we travelled. I don't know what to put down in the address part of the form.

Well, if you lived at place A from date D1 through date D2 and then traveled from date D2 through date D3, I would put place A as the address from date D1 through date D3 since your addresses during travel are temporary; i.e., always use the last permanent residence preceding the periods of your travel. Just my personal opinion how I would handle this.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

Well, if you lived at place A from date D1 through date D2 and then traveled from date D2 through date D3, I would put place A as the address from date D1 through date D3 since your addresses during travel are temporary; i.e., always use the last permanent residence preceding the periods of your travel. Just my personal opinion how I would handle this.

--

Thank you you have been very helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.