orangedesk

Birthplace on Passport vs. Birth Certificate

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! After receiving the NOA2 and reading the wonderful thread of what's to come next, I decided to be prepared and start filling out all the forms that we need for the embassy.

There's a minor issue with my guy's birthplace though, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. We have the long form of his birth certificate, but his birth certificate and his passport each show a different borough of London that he was born in. I looked up the hospital and even its wikipedia page shows both boroughs.

My guy said it's probably because the boundary lines have changed throughout the years, but this makes me wonder what I should put on the forms. Namely, the DS-156 and 156K, both ask for birthplace listed as City, Province, Country.

The way I have it now is <Passport Borough>, London, United Kingdom. Seeing the birth certificate and knowing that has to be provided as well, I don't want to cause any confusion. I just figured the passport birthplace would be the most accurate. Should I change it to match the birth certificate? Should I include a note? Any ideas?

For all of mine so far i have just put Derby England because thats the city and the country. I didnt include the town within Derby where i was born (or borough for within London). So unless it said Town, City, Country, i wouldnt have been so specific so it wouldnt have mattered.

If you have put the borough before then just stick with whatever you have put previously and include a note about boundaries changing or whatever the reason behind it is.

I have'nt done this before so dont quote me on it, its just what i would/have done.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

For all of mine so far i have just put Derby England because thats the city and the country. I didnt include the town within Derby where i was born (or borough for within London). So unless it said Town, City, Country, i wouldnt have been so specific so it wouldnt have mattered.

If you have put the borough before then just stick with whatever you have put previously and include a note about boundaries changing or whatever the reason behind it is.

I have'nt done this before so dont quote me on it, its just what i would/have done.

Hmm. Good point. I'm looking at what we put on the I129-F submission packet which said Town/City, and then State/Country and I put London and then England, UK. I'll probably just put London for everything then.

Can anyone else comment on the birth certificate and passport showing different boroughs though? Will this be an issue?

Can anyone else comment on the birth certificate and passport showing different boroughs though? Will this be an issue?

The forms are written in the US where a state is always part of the address. (Houston, Texas, USA) Canada has provinces comparable to states. (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) In the UK, you don't have states/provinces so my thinking is putting a dash or n/a for state/province is correct. London is a city, right? In the US or world in general, most people don't even know London has boroughs--it's London, England or London, UK. But I know people have put their own interpretaion on this all with success so I don't think the borough is a dealbreaker.

Examples of things people have put--

London, n/a, United Kingdom

London, -- , England

London, England, United Kingdom

Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom (where a county is substituted for state)

This answer is as clear as muddy water, so sorry I don't have a good answer on how to make a city with boroughs fit a US form or if you should try. I would go with what is on the I-129F for consistency. Nobody in London is going to review your answers/documents until you're standing before them at interview. If they bother to notice what the birth certificate says and have a question, then you can explain in person what you told us. No need to explain in a letter nobody will read.

Just my opinion because people have put many different things or nothing for "state" and been approved.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

This answer is as clear as muddy water, so sorry I don't have a good answer on how to make a city with boroughs fit a US form or if you should try. I would go with what is on the I-129F for consistency. Nobody in London is going to review your answers/documents until you're standing before them at interview. If they bother to notice what the birth certificate says and have a question, then you can explain in person what you told us. No need to explain in a letter nobody will read.

Just my opinion because people have put many different things or nothing for "state" and been approved.

That's a good idea. I'm just going to put London for everything and see what happens or if I get any questions. Thanks!!

Edited by orangedesk

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.