19 posts in this topic

More than half the time lawyers are useless for this process. :bonk:

Yes, too many people on VJ have had negative experiences with lawyers. To advise someone to have a baby to overcome a visa denial seems ridiculous to me.

Especially since every consulate is very different. DR consulate sees a lot of fraud, so you have to be very prepared. Preparation is actually very important!!! I've read a handful of interviews from recent years and what they seem to care about the most is pictures (wedding, outings, with family/friends etc) as well as visits.

I completely agree. During this process, I not only read experiences in DR portal, but also other high fraud countries. While interview experiences/requirements vary in each country, the common piece of advice given for increasing your chances of an approval in a high fraud country was to make frequent visits. Time spent together is the best evidence. I noticed that many of the people that posted about being denied in high fraud countries admitted to only visiting their partner once or twice throughout their entire relationship. During our interview, the CO looked at the photos I submitted with my petition and my passport stamps. He asked me if all of my visits were to see my husband, but he asked for none of the additional evidence I brought with me. That leads me to believe that our time spent together was enough to convince him of our relationship.

Making frequent visits is important. I know it can get expensive, but if you have decided to continue with this long distance relationship you have to be prepared to make some sacrifices. One visit a year is not gonna cut it.

A relationship like this requires sacrifices, not just while long distance but also after they get here. I envy the people that pay no more than $300 roundtrip to DR because my flights cost WAY more than that. I didn't want to spend the money, but to increase my chances of approval I knew I needed to travel. That meant I cut back on spending money on a lot of things that weren't necessary. I stopped eating out and started cooking more and packing my lunch. I stopped buying shoes/clothes. I made a ton of sacrifices and cut corners just so that I could have the money to go be with my husband.

I am not surprised the lawyers told you having a baby is good proof. As bad as it sounds, it's totally true. I don't think i've seen any couples denied if they have a child in common. It is what it is.

I'm totally with you on everything else, but I disagree with this. I've actually read interview reviews of couples that were denied even though they had 1 or more kids together. In fact, pereira=delgado recently had a status mentioning how her fiance's friend had positive DNA test results for he and his wife's child together and he still had problems. So having a child together doesn't mean it's the best proof or it's an automatic approval. Having a child together doesn't necessarily prove a relationship. There are plenty of children conceived from one night stands, but that doesn't prove the parents have a real relationship and love each other. That baby just proves they had sex. So the kid(s) along with no additional strong evidence of a relationship might not be enough to convince the CO. Also, there are situations where people have kids and have done things to be banned from entering the US. Having kids doesn't lift that ban. I don't think people should count on the fact that they have kids in common.

Finally, like someone else mentioned...analyze your red flags and be prepared to be asked about them. Make sure your SO and you are on the same page about everything.

Definitely discuss anything you may think is a red flag. And also don't be afraid to ask him if there's anything he hasn't told you that you need to know. There should be no secrets between you two. People act like the consulate doesn't investigate and find things out. People have kids, spouses, prior visa petitons, etc that they never told their partner about and then the CO reveals that information during the interview. Last year there was a member who made a surprise visit to DR just weeks before her fiance's interview and she found out he had an infant that he never told her about. I read of a denial in DR because a woman was told by her husband that he had no kids, but she found out at the inteview that he did have a kid. Prior to my husband, I was talking to someone from DR very briefly who told me he had no kids, but later someone else told me he had a son. The next time I spoke with this guy, I asked him several times if he had a son and he kept telling me he had no kids. He finally admitted it after I told him I found out from someone. Had I not found out, I might have invested time and money in the relationship/visa process only to get to the interview and find out that guy had been lying and was a fraud. This sort of thing happens more often than people care to believe. People seem to think that the CO just wants to be mean and deny people, but some of those people don't realize they might be getting denied because the consulate knows something about the beneficiary that the petitioner doesn't know.

my thoughts to you is get married...Is there a possibility you could temporarily move to DR? If not, get married, have a party, take lots of pics, continue visiting and try again.

I am sorry this is happening to you. It's truly not fair, but now you have to be proactive.

I wish you luck!!

~~~~USCIS~~~~
02-12-11 -- Mailed CR1 Petition (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
02-14-11 -- Petition delivered to the Chicago Lockbox
02-16-11 -- NOA1 Text/E-mail
02-22-11 -- I-797C received in the mail
05-24-11 -- NOA2 E-mail (no text, no RFE)
05-28-11 -- I-797C received in the mail

~~~~NVC~~~~
06-07-11 -- Case entered into system
06-08-11 -- Received e-mails with DS-3032 and AOS
06-09-11 -- E-mailed and snail mailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee
06-10-11 -- AOS status: PAID
06-14-11 -- Mailed AOS package (USPS First-Class Mail)
06-15-11 -- DS-3032 e-mail accepted by NVC and IV bill generated
06-16-11 -- Paid IV bill
06-17-11 -- NVC withdrew money for IV bill from my account
06-23-11 -- IV status: PAID
06-24-11 -- Mailed IV package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
06-27-11 -- IV package delivered
07-11-11 -- Final Review
07-12-11 -- CASE COMPLETE
08-03-11 -- E-Mail received about interview date
09-12-11 -- INTERVIEW

~~~~Removal of Conditions~~~~

08-02-13 -- ROC window opens

08-05-13 -- Mailed I-751 package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)

08-09-13 -- Package delivered (Delayed at Post Office)
08-12-13 -- NOA1
08-15-13 -- Check cashed
08-24-13 -- Received biometrics letter for September 10
08-26-13 -- Early walk-in for biometrics
09-16-13 -- Received letter stating our case was transferred to CSC on September 12
10-02-13 -- Received text/email update. Case changed from "transferred to Local Office" to "was transferred and now being processed at a USCIS Office"

we live in two different countries all i can have is our phone records and pictures...and sometimes i send mu husband money we have some western union reciepts and im trying to upload our text messages because we text alot...this is all i can think of

omg i do recharge his phone i recharge his phone like 3 times a week sometimes i do it at the store and they give me a reciept but most of the time i do it online with my credit card...i dont know how to get the proof when i do it with credit card though?

Living in two different countries does make it difficult to provide a lot of proof. I'm sure that's taken into consideration and I believe that's why the CO tends to focus on frequent visits. Definitely keep building the evidence of your frequent communication, but you may want to think about those western union receipts. I provided two MoneyGram receipts with my petition prior to reading about how it might not look good to the CO. Popular opinion for high fraud countries was that sending money and gifts could look like you're buying a spouse/beneficiary is using you for money and it was advised not to use too much of that as evidence. I didn't send my husband money regularly, so I wasn't overly concerned about them questioning the receipts since it wasn't an allowance. In the event that we were questioned about it, I told my husband to remember to explain that it was not money for him to live off of but was for our wedding so that way we were on the same page. We were never questioned about it, but I could hear the couple next to us being questioned about what the female petitioner had been sending to her man and that interview didn't sound like it was going so well. I'm not sure if it can have a negative affect on your situation, but you may want to consider not providing too much evidence that appears like you're supporting him.

~~~~USCIS~~~~
02-12-11 -- Mailed CR1 Petition (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
02-14-11 -- Petition delivered to the Chicago Lockbox
02-16-11 -- NOA1 Text/E-mail
02-22-11 -- I-797C received in the mail
05-24-11 -- NOA2 E-mail (no text, no RFE)
05-28-11 -- I-797C received in the mail

~~~~NVC~~~~
06-07-11 -- Case entered into system
06-08-11 -- Received e-mails with DS-3032 and AOS
06-09-11 -- E-mailed and snail mailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee
06-10-11 -- AOS status: PAID
06-14-11 -- Mailed AOS package (USPS First-Class Mail)
06-15-11 -- DS-3032 e-mail accepted by NVC and IV bill generated
06-16-11 -- Paid IV bill
06-17-11 -- NVC withdrew money for IV bill from my account
06-23-11 -- IV status: PAID
06-24-11 -- Mailed IV package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)
06-27-11 -- IV package delivered
07-11-11 -- Final Review
07-12-11 -- CASE COMPLETE
08-03-11 -- E-Mail received about interview date
09-12-11 -- INTERVIEW

~~~~Removal of Conditions~~~~

08-02-13 -- ROC window opens

08-05-13 -- Mailed I-751 package (USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation)

08-09-13 -- Package delivered (Delayed at Post Office)
08-12-13 -- NOA1
08-15-13 -- Check cashed
08-24-13 -- Received biometrics letter for September 10
08-26-13 -- Early walk-in for biometrics
09-16-13 -- Received letter stating our case was transferred to CSC on September 12
10-02-13 -- Received text/email update. Case changed from "transferred to Local Office" to "was transferred and now being processed at a USCIS Office"

Living in two different countries does make it difficult to provide a lot of proof. I'm sure that's taken into consideration and I believe that's why the CO tends to focus on frequent visits. Definitely keep building the evidence of your frequent communication, but you may want to think about those western union receipts. I provided two MoneyGram receipts with my petition prior to reading about how it might not look good to the CO. Popular opinion for high fraud countries was that sending money and gifts could look like you're buying a spouse/beneficiary is using you for money and it was advised not to use too much of that as evidence. I didn't send my husband money regularly, so I wasn't overly concerned about them questioning the receipts since it wasn't an allowance. In the event that we were questioned about it, I told my husband to remember to explain that it was not money for him to live off of but was for our wedding so that way we were on the same page. We were never questioned about it, but I could hear the couple next to us being questioned about what the female petitioner had been sending to her man and that interview didn't sound like it was going so well. I'm not sure if it can have a negative affect on your situation, but you may want to consider not providing too much evidence that appears like you're supporting him.

thankz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.