RandT

NOA2 and NVC and Case Number

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We got our I-129F approved on May 7th this month and in the NOA2 hard copy, it says wait a minimum of 30 days to contact NVC or to hear from them.

But in this forum, I see many members call everyday to NVC to get "case number" after two weeks after receiving the NOA2. Why is it so important to get the case number after two weeks? What is it used for at the moment? Will I get it anyway after about 30 days when NVC sends new instructions or do I have to call in after two weeks?

In the meantime, I'll collect information just like what the guide here suggests.

If someone in here can enlighten me, much appreciate.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

-Troy

2010 Sept 4: 1st Visit

2011 March 27: 2nd Visit

2011 Sept 9: 3rd Visit - Proposed!!!

2011 December 9: NOA1

2011 December 13: Touched

2012 March 3: 4th Visit

2012 May 7: NOA2 (150 days since NOA1)

2012 May 8: Touched

2012 May 21: NVC Arrived

2012 May 23: NVC Left to US Saigon Consulate

2012 May 23: Rec'd NVC Letter in the Mail

2012 June 6: Rec'd Pk 3

2012 June 13: US Saigon Consulate Rec'd Pk 3

2012 July 14: Packet 4 Arrived

2012 August 31: Interview Day

2012 October 16: Arrived to the U.S.

2012 October 19: Got Married!

AOS

2013 January 22: Filed AOS I-485/EAD/AP.

2013 January 29: NOA1

2013 January 30: Check Cashed.

2013 February 28: (Walk-in on February 7) Biometrics Appt.

2013 April 3: AOS interview.

2013 March 21: EAD and AP Approved.

2013 April 3: Interview - Approved!

2013 April 8: Green Card in production.

Okvpm7.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi All,

We got our I-129F approved on May 7th this month and in the NOA2 hard copy, it says wait a minimum of 30 days to contact NVC or to hear from them.

But in this forum, I see many members call everyday to NVC to get "case number" after two weeks after receiving the NOA2. Why is it so important to get the case number after two weeks? What is it used for at the moment? Will I get it anyway after about 30 days when NVC sends new instructions or do I have to call in after two weeks?

In the meantime, I'll collect information just like what the guide here suggests.

If someone in here can enlighten me, much appreciate.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

-Troy

I suppose you don't have to do anything until the consulate/embassy contacts the beneficiary. However, there have been reports, some recently, where the approved visa petition was misplaced for a month or more during the transfer to the NVC from the USCIS. Once the petition is received at NVC, it should be assigned a case file number. It can then be placed in AP (Administrative Processing or Additional Processing) while at NVC. This can result in your case file being delayed in AP for a week to several months, or more. Hopefully, you will eventually get your notification from NVC that your case has been sent onto the consulate/embassy in 30 days. We got our notice from the NVC approximately 3 weeks after the file had already been received at the consulate/embassy. In our case, my fiancee received the P3 Packet from the consulate/embassy about 6 weeks after we received our NOA2 notification, and we experienced minimal delays. I suspect that many petitioners and beneficiaries would prefer to be proactive and obtain better assurances about the disposition of their petition rather than waiting for the vague, and sometimes inaccurate, statements from the government bureaucracies. :whistle:

YMMV.

Happy Mother's Day and good luck on your visa journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I suppose you don't have to do anything until the consulate/embassy contacts the beneficiary. However, there have been reports, some recently, where the approved visa petition was misplaced for a month or more during the transfer to the NVC from the USCIS. Once the petition is received at NVC, it should be assigned a case file number. It can then be placed in AP (Administrative Processing or Additional Processing) while at NVC. This can result in your case file being delayed in AP for a week to several months, or more. Hopefully, you will eventually get your notification from NVC that your case has been sent onto the consulate/embassy in 30 days. We got our notice from the NVC approximately 3 weeks after the file had already been received at the consulate/embassy. In our case, my fiancee received the P3 Packet from the consulate/embassy about 6 weeks after we received our NOA2 notification, and we experienced minimal delays. I suspect that many petitioners and beneficiaries would prefer to be proactive and obtain better assurances about the disposition of their petition rather than waiting for the vague, and sometimes inaccurate, statements from the government bureaucracies. :whistle:

YMMV.

Happy Mother's Day and good luck on your visa journey.

Yike! I better call them, get the case number, and check the status.

Thanks for the information.

-Troy

2010 Sept 4: 1st Visit

2011 March 27: 2nd Visit

2011 Sept 9: 3rd Visit - Proposed!!!

2011 December 9: NOA1

2011 December 13: Touched

2012 March 3: 4th Visit

2012 May 7: NOA2 (150 days since NOA1)

2012 May 8: Touched

2012 May 21: NVC Arrived

2012 May 23: NVC Left to US Saigon Consulate

2012 May 23: Rec'd NVC Letter in the Mail

2012 June 6: Rec'd Pk 3

2012 June 13: US Saigon Consulate Rec'd Pk 3

2012 July 14: Packet 4 Arrived

2012 August 31: Interview Day

2012 October 16: Arrived to the U.S.

2012 October 19: Got Married!

AOS

2013 January 22: Filed AOS I-485/EAD/AP.

2013 January 29: NOA1

2013 January 30: Check Cashed.

2013 February 28: (Walk-in on February 7) Biometrics Appt.

2013 April 3: AOS interview.

2013 March 21: EAD and AP Approved.

2013 April 3: Interview - Approved!

2013 April 8: Green Card in production.

Okvpm7.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.