w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

British man admits plotting to bomb NYC buildings

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A British man pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiring to bomb high-profile targets in the United States including the International Monetary Fund headquarters in Washington and the New York Stock Exchange.

"I plead guilty," Dhiran Barot, 32, said in a clear voice at Woolwich Crown Court in south London.

Other alleged targets in the plot, which was foiled by Barot's arrest in 2004, included the World Bank headquarters in Washington, the Citigroup building in New York and the Prudential building in Newark, N.J.

Prosecutor Edward Lawson said Barot planned "to carry out explosions at those premises with no warning. They were plainly designed to kill as may people as possible."

In Britain, Barot planned to pack gas cylinders into limousines and detonate them in underground parking garages, Lawson said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/...y-top-headlines

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
A British man pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiring to bomb high-profile targets in the United States including the International Monetary Fund headquarters in Washington and the New York Stock Exchange.

"I plead guilty," Dhiran Barot, 32, said in a clear voice at Woolwich Crown Court in south London.

Other alleged targets in the plot, which was foiled by Barot's arrest in 2004, included the World Bank headquarters in Washington, the Citigroup building in New York and the Prudential building in Newark, N.J.

Prosecutor Edward Lawson said Barot planned "to carry out explosions at those premises with no warning. They were plainly designed to kill as may people as possible."

In Britain, Barot planned to pack gas cylinders into limousines and detonate them in underground parking garages, Lawson said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/...y-top-headlines

Well Gupt...when do we start bombing London? It isn't 100% Londonistan yet!

How about when the Brits stop arresting these Islamofascists for plotting terrorism? I don't know if this guy Barot was a naturalized Brit or the offsping of immigrants. If he was naturalized then maybe the Brits should start stripping these jihadists of their citizenship and deporting them back to where they were born. The US already does this with ex-Nazis. The Brits can't do much about the homegrown jihadists except surveillance, arrest, and jail.

But the USA can. We can end this ridiculous and dangerous VWP that allows Britain and other countries' citizens to travel to the USA without a visa or official scrutiny by our government before they arrive here. Treating Britain as if only ethnic Anglo citizens are traveling to the USA is not very prudent in the post 9/11 world. It wasn't even prudent in a pre-9/11 world.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline
We can end this ridiculous and dangerous VWP that allows Britain and other countries' citizens to travel to the USA without a visa or official scrutiny by our government before they arrive here. Treating Britain as if only ethnic Anglo citizens are traveling to the USA is not very prudent in the post 9/11 world.

Well, the reason they qualify for VWP has nothing to do with them being Anglo. You know that well, having been on VJ for as long as you have.

However, the State Dept website that describes, in laymans terms, how a country qualifies for VWP has some text that I find very interesting. It certainly applies to the UK and most of Western Europe.

In addition to these specific criteria for participation in the Visa Waiver Program, Section 217 of the INA also requires that the Department of Homeland Security in consultation with the Secretary of State evaluate the effect that a country’s designation as a VWP participant would have on the law enforcement and security interests of the United States

[...]

Specific factors to be considered in such a review are not established in the legislation. However, in the past the following types of issues have been considered:

[...]

* Existence of security and law enforcement threats in the country (terrorist activities, organized crime, money laundering, human and drug trafficking, etc.), and efforts to address such threats

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Timeline
But the USA can. We can end this ridiculous and dangerous VWP that allows Britain and other countries' citizens to travel to the USA without a visa or official scrutiny by our government before they arrive here. Treating Britain as if only ethnic Anglo citizens are traveling to the USA is not very prudent in the post 9/11 world. It wasn't even prudent in a pre-9/11 world.

Oh.

You want them to check out EVERYBODY.

Timeline

We can end this ridiculous and dangerous VWP that allows Britain and other countries' citizens to travel to the USA without a visa or official scrutiny by our government before they arrive here. Treating Britain as if only ethnic Anglo citizens are traveling to the USA is not very prudent in the post 9/11 world.

Well, the reason they qualify for VWP has nothing to do with them being Anglo. You know that well, having been on VJ for as long as you have.

However, the State Dept website that describes, in laymans terms, how a country qualifies for VWP has some text that I find very interesting. It certainly applies to the UK and most of Western Europe.

In addition to these specific criteria for participation in the Visa Waiver Program, Section 217 of the INA also requires that the Department of Homeland Security in consultation with the Secretary of State evaluate the effect that a country’s designation as a VWP participant would have on the law enforcement and security interests of the United States

[...]

Specific factors to be considered in such a review are not established in the legislation. However, in the past the following types of issues have been considered:

[...]

* Existence of security and law enforcement threats in the country (terrorist activities, organized crime, money laundering, human and drug trafficking, etc.), and efforts to address such threats

The fact is...even though Britain is largely an Anglo country, through immigration it has a number of jihadists that are citizens. We managed to capture some of their citizens fighting for the Taliban and Al Quaida already.

Maybe it is the right time to think about the implications of allowing their citizens (or any other similar VWP country) easy access into the USA without a more thorough examination by our own government. And that means each and every UK citizen, ethnic Anglo or not.

Upon further reading, it appears that Mr. Barlot was a Muslim convert.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree that ending VWP is a good idea as far as US national security is concerned,

but the question is whether or not it outweighs the additional costs and inconvenience

that would result from its elimination. It would most definitely lead to a major

decrease in tourism to the US from Western European countries, if not end it completely.

Another factor to consider is visa reciprocity -- if the US were to end the VWP, the

27 VWP countries could do the same and start requiring visas of US visitors.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

I agree that ending VWP is a good idea as far as US national security is concerned,

but the question is whether or not it outweighs the additional costs and inconvenience

that would result from its elimination. It would most definitely lead to a major

decrease in tourism to the US from Western European countries, if not end it completely.

Another factor to consider is visa reciprocity -- if the US were to end the VWP, the

As with most behind the scenes policy decisions in USA Incorporated, $$$ are often put ahead of public safety or fairness. It is only after the fact that the armchair philisophers begin pointing fingers and policymakers attempt to avoid accountability for bad public policy.

Of course the travel / tourism industry will complain. As will anyone that would have to get a visa in the future if VWP was eliminated.

Hey...I'm not the one that suggested that bombing London is a solution to these threats. That is ridiculous (and yes, we all know Gupt was playing devil's advocate). There are a lot things the we can do to increase security in the USA, but nothing that important is easy, painless, or without sacrifice.

And we should not blame or whine about our government for being forced to take these measures. The blame should belong squarely on the backs of the Islamofascist terrorists.

Edited by peejay

It would most definitely lead to a major

Not to mention further clog the USCIS pipeline.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That it wouldn't do, because visas are issued by the State Department, not USCIS.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Ironically, some (such as myself) could probably get around reciprocity ending with US (remember that reciprocity of the "US VWP" countries with Canada is a different-coloured-bronc).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

what is a bronc

A very ornery horse, on which the rider (whom the horse is trying to throw off by bucking) needs to stay 8 seconds (bit more complex as there are some other rules).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

That it wouldn't do, because visas are issued by the State Department, not USCIS.

My bad.

Which brings up another point....why is DOS more efficient in doing background checks than USCIS?