domolek

Re-Entry Permit problem please help

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hello everybody im new here i have a very big problem i was filled a form I-131 for Re-Entry permit and when im filling it i do a mistake in the part 1 question 8 its a question about Country of citizenship i write on this a USA but im only USA permanent resident i was call to NCSC and they tell me to send a letter with correct answer and copy of NOA with receipt number to the nebraska service center what can i do now ???? my form is be denied because this ?? i send correction when i got a receipt number everything else i filled properly. thanks for all answer.

hello everybody im new here i have a very big problem i was filled a form I-131 for Re-Entry permit and when im filling it i do a mistake in the part 1 question 8 its a question about Country of citizenship i write on this a USA but im only USA permanent resident i was call to NCSC and they tell me to send a letter with correct answer and copy of NOA with receipt number to the nebraska service center what can i do now ???? my form is be denied because this ?? i send correction when i got a receipt number everything else i filled properly. thanks for all answer.

Send exactly what NCSC asked for, then wait to see what happens. No one here can tell you whether it will be a problem or not.

ok i understand but i wanna to know what they do now when i send this letter with correction they cancel my application right now or answer me something about this mistake or send me appoitment for biometric and then i must wait month or two for decision maybe somebody have same problem thanks for answer

Edited by domolek

ok i understand but i wanna to know what they do now when i send this letter with correction they cancel my application right now or answer me something about this mistake or send me appoitment for biometric and then i must wait month or two for decision maybe somebody have same problem thanks for answer

Hopefully your correction is matched up with your original application and it is approved. If not, you could get an RFE or a denial, but I doubt it would be a denial.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Nobody can help you. All you can do is follow the instructions you were given and hope it works out.

Just be aware that the worst that could happen is they determine that you have now made a false claim to US Citizenship which is the worse immigration offense in the books and would cause you a lot of problems.

This is why you need to be extra careful when filling out forms.

i understand but maybe somebody do a mistake on the form and correct this i just want to know opinion of people who have problem like my

Perhaps there is someone who made this same mistake, but whatever happened to them may not be the same thing that happens to you. What we are trying to explain is that sometimes the system produces different outcomes for different people, at least in unique situations like yours. You should follow the instructions you were given and pay careful attention to anything you receive from them. I don't think it will pose a problem but you will just have to wait and see.

Nobody can help you. All you can do is follow the instructions you were given and hope it works out.

Just be aware that the worst that could happen is they determine that you have now made a false claim to US Citizenship which is the worse immigration offense in the books and would cause you a lot of problems.

This is why you need to be extra careful when filling out forms.

I think this is extraordinarily unlikely. Since USCs don't file petitions for re-entry permits, it was obviously an inadvertent error. Claiming US citizenship is a problem when the alien is trying to seek some benefit reserved for US citizens only, such as voting or gaining a US passport. There wasn't any fraudulent intent here since claiming US citizenship would actually result in denial of the re-entry permit, not give the alien benefits he isn't entitled to.

Timeline
I think this is extraordinarily unlikely. Since USCs don't file petitions for re-entry permits, it was obviously an inadvertent error. Claiming US citizenship is a problem when the alien is trying to seek some benefit reserved for US citizens only, such as voting or gaining a US passport. There wasn't any fraudulent intent here since claiming US citizenship would actually result in denial of the re-entry permit, not give the alien benefits he isn't entitled to.

I didn't say how likely it was, just that it is a possibility. I don't remember anywhere seeing that there has to be fraudulent intent on the part of the alien.

In fact I would argue that there doesn't have to be as I've seen cases where an adult made the false claim for a child who didn't even know at the time and that child (now an adult) is banned for life without possibility of a waiver.

Anyway the point of my post was that we should be more careful with these forms.

I didn't say how likely it was, just that it is a possibility. I don't remember anywhere seeing that there has to be fraudulent intent on the part of the alien.

In fact I would argue that there doesn't have to be as I've seen cases where an adult made the false claim for a child who didn't even know at the time and that child (now an adult) is banned for life without possibility of a waiver.

Anyway the point of my post was that we should be more careful with these forms.

I agree, utmost care is always the best policy! What a terrible case you're describing. It doesn't sound like that was the right outcome.

Timeline
I agree, utmost care is always the best policy! What a terrible case you're describing. It doesn't sound like that was the right outcome.

It never matters who made the mistake in immigration cases, the burden to undo or overcome it always fall on the smallest guy in the process which is the immigrant. For this reason we should always not only triple check our own work but immediately verify anything we receive from USCIS/DOS etc for accuracy and when errors are found notify them in a manner that can be tracked/verified later if need be.

Regarding the OP, I would hope that since the error should be obvious and they are planning to report it as soon a possible it won't be an issue for them.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

It never matters who made the mistake in immigration cases, the burden to undo or overcome it always fall on the smallest guy in the process which is the immigrant. For this reason we should always not only triple check our own work but immediately verify anything we receive from USCIS/DOS etc for accuracy and when errors are found notify them in a manner that can be tracked/verified later if need be.

Regarding the OP, I woudl hope that since the error should be obvious and they are planning to report it as soon a possible it won't be an issue for them.

Not sure that it "never matters"--generally minors are protected from some consequences that adults would face. Minors aren't supposed to be liable for fraud committed by others, for instance, and they don't accrue unlawful presence for the 3 year/10 year bars until they turn 18.

Agree that you should always triple-check though!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.