Maria5421

DS-156 question 24, DS-230 question 10 US military

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am very confused and can not find the answer anywhere on-line.

My fiance is a US citizen and is a US army soldier. Right now he lives in the barracks, but once I arrive in the States and we get married we will be provided housing by the Army.

So, I don't know the address where I will be staying in the States, since we'll only get the house once we're married.

What should I list as the address where I will be staying in the US in question 24 of DS-156? I'm afraid that if I say "none" they will not accept it.

I can list his parents' address- but that's in virginia, and we are most likely to stay in Monterey, CA.

Also, on DS 230 for question 10, I need to give the address in the US if known. Since I don't know it yet, should I say "not yet known"? If I give his parents' address in DS 156 and no address in DS 230 will that cause problems?

I will really appreciate your help as I am totally lost. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am very confused and can not find the answer anywhere on-line.

My fiance is a US citizen and is a US army soldier. Right now he lives in the barracks, but once I arrive in the States and we get married we will be provided housing by the Army.

So, I don't know the address where I will be staying in the States, since we'll only get the house once we're married.

What should I list as the address where I will be staying in the US in question 24 of DS-156? I'm afraid that if I say "none" they will not accept it.

I can list his parents' address- but that's in virginia, and we are most likely to stay in Monterey, CA.

Also, on DS 230 for question 10, I need to give the address in the US if known. Since I don't know it yet, should I say "not yet known"? If I give his parents' address in DS 156 and no address in DS 230 will that cause problems?

I will really appreciate your help as I am totally lost. Thank you!

You can use your finance's "home of record" (the home address he lists on his military file). check with your fiance on that. all the best :)

Timeline

Also verify with your fiance what address he stated in the I-129F petition PART B (14) "ADDRESS IN THE US WHERE YOUR FIANCE INTENDS TO LIVE"

You can use your finance's "home of record" (the home address he lists on his military file). check with your fiance on that. all the best :)

Timeline

Also verify with your fiance what address he stated in the I-129F petition PART B (14) "ADDRESS IN THE US WHERE YOUR FIANCE INTENDS TO LIVE"

Thank you so much! On the petition he put "none" for the address and then added the comments on the additional sheet.

So, should I give his "home of record" address on DS-156 and put "not yet known" on DS 230? I will never actually live at that address though cause it's all the way on the other end of the country.

Have you had a similar experience?

Thanks again:)

Timeline

also, it turns out that his "home of record" address is not even his parents' place but their house in New York that doesn't even receive mail of any kind :| so I don't think I can use it

Timeline

In my experience, military duty/deployments moves you around too many times, it only helps me to use my home of record as a reliable point of contact. I think the address you'll provide on the DS-156 and DS 230 forms are for documentation and accountability purposes at this stage, so it'll make sense to be consistent on all forms whether or not you are actually going to live there. Think of it as where Immigration can contact you when u arrive in the States. You'll make the necessary change of address on AR-11 with USCIS when u enter the States before/after marriage and moving into military housing, etc.

I hope it this clarifies it a bit for you :)

don't stress yourself about

also, it turns out that his "home of record" address is not even his parents' place but their house in New York that doesn't even receive mail of any kind :| so I don't think I can use it

Timeline

In my experience, military duty/deployments moves you around too many times, it only helps me to use my home of record as a reliable point of contact. I think the address you'll provide on the DS-156 and DS 230 forms are for documentation and accountability purposes at this stage, so it'll make sense to be consistent on all forms whether or not you are actually going to live there. Think of it as where Immigration can contact you when u arrive in the States. You'll make the necessary change of address on AR-11 with USCIS when u enter the States before/after marriage and moving into military housing, etc.

I hope it this clarifies it a bit for you :)

Thank you SO much for the helpful information!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.