jess5377

I-864 and sponsor

5 posts in this topic

If we are using a sponsor which forms do they fill out? The I-864 and I-864A or just one?

My mom said she would be the sponsor. We did list her NYC property as our US address, but her current declared "residence" that she uses is her house in FL. I guess I'm confused b/c its says

"If you are using the income of persons in your household or dependents to qualify as a sponsor, you must also submit a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, for each person whose income you will use."

She isn't a member of our household in London, but are using her property as our planned US address. We're dcfing through London if that matters at all.

Thanks!

Edited by jess5377

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would do 2 sets and bring them both to the visa interview. One set where you do I-864 and mother also dose an I-864, the other set you do I-864 and mother dose an I-864A. Explain situation when asked for the Affidavit of support at the interview, the Visa Officer should know which way is correct, and you will have what they want.

I would assume I-864 and I-864 since technically you are not residing in the same "residence", just that you are living in a home that she owns. But do both sets just in case.

Good luck.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If we are using a sponsor which forms do they fill out? The I-864 and I-864A or just one?

My mom said she would be the sponsor. We did list her NYC property as our US address, but her current declared "residence" that she uses is her house in FL. I guess I'm confused b/c its says

"If you are using the income of persons in your household or dependents to qualify as a sponsor, you must also submit a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, for each person whose income you will use."

She isn't a member of our household in London, but are using her property as our planned US address. We're dcfing through London if that matters at all.

Thanks!

You use the I-864A if your mum has the same residence as yourselves if you have a different residence then she uses the I-864, so the answer depends on whether you stated your moms address as your owns or whether it is different...

Thanks!

You use the I-864A if your mum has the same residence as yourselves if you have a different residence then she uses the I-864, so the answer depends on whether you stated your moms address as your owns or whether it is different...

But I agree always good to have backup paperwork

Filed: Timeline

Jess,

Since you will not be living with your mother, unless you are her dependent for tax purposes (and I presume that she is not your dependent), mom cannot be a Household Member and will be a Joint Sponsor. In which case, she needs to provide an I-864.

I-864A, discussed by YuAndDan, is done by 2 people, not 1 person. It's an agreement between a Household Member and a Sponsor or a Joint Sponsor. It does not seem to be applicable in your situation.

Yodrak

I would do 2 sets and bring them both to the visa interview. One set where you do I-864 and mother also dose an I-864, the other set you do I-864 and mother dose an I-864A. Explain situation when asked for the Affidavit of support at the interview, the Visa Officer should know which way is correct, and you will have what they want.

I would assume I-864 and I-864 since technically you are not residing in the same "residence", just that you are living in a home that she owns. But do both sets just in case.

Good luck.

Thanks!

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.