nadia.pb

N-600K Form

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I am filling out the N-600K Form on behalf of my son who is 17 years old.

My question concerns the Part 7 of the Form.

On the Form itself and on the instructions it is clearly stated that the child is supposed to sign this part, as he is older than 14. However, the USCIS contacts I talked to on the phone (3 different persons!), a employee in the US Consulate in Brussels and one in Genoa, told me that it is me who has to sign it.

I am very nervous about this because I don't want to jeopardize all the procedure because of a stupid mistake of interpretation.

Can somebody help me?

It is very urgent because my son is turning 18 and we are really running out of time!

Many thanks

Nadia

According to the instructions below it is clearly stated that your son needs to sign so I am confused why they told you otherwise. Did you try the USCIS 1-800 number or the local USCIS office? Maybe the reason is that you are preparing the document and hence, that is the reason why they tell you to sign it. But there is part 8 for a preparer signature, so it looks to me that your son needs to sign part 7 and maybe you need to sign part 8. I would call again and ask specifically about both part 7 and part 8.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600kinstr.pdf

--

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Country: Belgium
Timeline

Thanks for your quick reply!

It's conforting to know that you came to our same conclusions: Part 7 signed by my son, Part 8 by me.

I called the USCIS 1-800 number twice and spoke with two different persons. The same did my husband. I explained exactly what you are suggesting and all 4 people said that the I have to sign Part 7, Part 8 being reserved for preparers who do this as a business.

Is it possible that the instructions for filing N-600K forms just changed and at the USCIS 1-800 not everybody is aware of this?

I'm going to try again and ask the name of the operator and his/her permission to quote her in the accompanying letter.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Nadia

According to the instructions below it is clearly stated that your son needs to sign so I am confused why they told you otherwise. Did you try the USCIS 1-800 number or the local USCIS office? Maybe the reason is that you are preparing the document and hence, that is the reason why they tell you to sign it. But there is part 8 for a preparer signature, so it looks to me that your son needs to sign part 7 and maybe you need to sign part 8. I would call again and ask specifically about both part 7 and part 8.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600kinstr.pdf

--

It makes sense that part 8 is for business preparers. That's what I thought as well when I read it.

In light of all the feedback you got, I think it is actually OK if you sign part 7. There is no ill intent from your side since the from says "applicant or parent" and you can truthfully state that you contacted USCIS three times and got confirmation that you can sign.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.